· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Crossbow
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Crossbow Reply with quote

A recent topic about supporting our advertisers morphed into a discussion of Carbon Express products and their crossbows. A post was made about how crossbows are not accurate enough to shoot out to 75 yards. I had always heard they were very accurate. Here is some interesting web info I found.

Crossbow Fact: The crossbow's high precision appeals to those who love accuracy and accurate shooting equipment, myself included. Bench rest rifle shooters love the crossbow's ability to put each and every crossbow arrow, shot after shot in nearly the same hole at 40 yards, consistently.

If your crossbow is not displaying this much accuracy then you need to read this for sure. Crossbows are very accurate when set-up and shot properly.

www.crossbowmen.com/in...uracy.html

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

I don't shoot mine past 40 yards but mine is very accurate at 40 yards and I shoot Gold Tips..

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe, what is your rational for this limit?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
wiersy111

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

My Barnett cross bow is very very accurate. At 50 yards I Robin Hooded a bolt. There was a lot of luck but I can hit 16 oz soda bottles at75 yards repeatedly.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

I never said or implied they were inaccurate, I was trying to say they are considered under powered compared to a long/compound bow as the bolts/arrows are too light to have the oomph to deliver the goods consistantly.

slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

Elvis, I didn't think there was much difference in the weight of the shafts because, even though the bolts in a crossbow are shorter, they weigh more per inch. They have to stiffer and heavier (per inch) to take the increase poundage of the crossbow. I can find bolts and arrows on-line that weight in around 300 grains. I shoot a 60 lb compound bow but would probably have a 160 to 200 lb crossbow. The crossbow is going to be more accurate, more powerful, and have longer reach.

SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

I've never messed with a crossbow, but my understanding over the years is that the bolts, though roughly the same weight but shorter than typical arrows, are being launched faster initially, but suffer the same laws of physics that we see in rifle bullets where bullets of equal weight but differing length will see the shorter bullet fade in velocity quicker than the longer one. Now, since the bolt is being launched by a higher release poundage, it would appear that the discrepancy would be somewhat lessened. It all depends on actual launch speed, and does it really matter enough at typical hunting ranges?

As to the accuracy factor; that just makes sense. You are shooting from a more stable platform (supported by both arms rather than tensioned between a push and a pull) so accuracy should be better...or I should say, easier to achieve.

I'll stick with my bow, but have no argument with anyone who chooses a crossbow.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

Here is another web site that makes the Draw-Loc for bows.

www.drawloc.com/conten...mpound-bow

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
shrpshtrjoe, what is your rational for this limit?

I never shot my compound past 40 yards either thats the farthest ethical shot with a arrow Im willing to take. If a a deer take's a step as the arrow is released even at 20 or 30 yards you can go from a heart shot to a gut shot as the yardage increases the chance of that happening increases ( IMO) so I put a cap on it at 40 yards..

Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

Now I have to say that, when I was shooting it, I shot my bow at targets FAR beyond the distance I'd be willing to shoot at game. Same with handguns. I've always figured that if I could hit the long shots I would have more confidence in my gear and myself so the reasonable shots would be easier.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

Here is a CROSSBOW for you!! Have you seen this? It mounts on your AR lower! Over 400 fps with bolts that weight 1/2 again more than a carbon arrow.

www.drawloc.com/conten...mpound-bow

glockman55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

The newer cross bows are shooting farther than before, but we all should know our limit for a clean kill on game. I'm in the process of entering the X Bow rage myself, I love my compound but this year I had some issues shooting it because of my old back. Any suggestions on what you all shoot?
Here's a video you should watch on long range shooting a X Bow.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkIvR8MU8do

slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

There are several advantage of a crossbow that make it a nice hunting rig. I haven't hunted with my compound in several years. I don't get enough time in hunting with my rifle as it is. Oh, I saw some crossbows that had limbs mounted in the vertical so you could use a tree as a rest. Makes sense.

ErikHimmel
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

Hi, the post seems quite resourceful and I must thank you for the efforts. However, I’m wondering if you could offer some details about the Hunting, you could explain it more. I would love to get it as I intend to introduce a new hub of information to our website rangerexpert. Thanks!
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbow Reply with quote

ErikHimmel wrote:
Hi, the post seems quite resourceful and I must thank you for the efforts. However, I’m wondering if you could offer some details about the Hunting, you could explain it more. I would love to get it as I intend to introduce a new hub of information to our website rangerexpert. Thanks!

My immediate thought was SPAMMER, but the link is very pertinent to the subject of the thread...so far. I’m watching.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 2