Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Wild Boar
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Howdy. I think im gonna go for wild boar hear in near future my dad is going to retire this week and he's goin back to N.C. He hunted boar there a few years back and took a pretty nice one. I always wanted to hunt them so now i can go visit him and set a hunt up at the same time Very Happy . Any do's or don'ts anybody has would be helpful. I think im gonna use the 7/08 with either the accubond or partition 140gr. Thanx

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Knifeboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
If you can use a bow. I dont know if it is allowed or not but it sure makes for some good pig hunts. Good luck though.
I can smell the ham already:).

Knifeboy

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Howdy Knifeboy. The one my dad got a few years ago weighed almost 300 lbs. I like useing a bow but something that big i'm throwing lead at it Very Happy

P E T A
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe,
Many years ago, I guided for a big game preserve here in Tn. From past experience, I can give you a pointer...

Find a sturdy tree and practice your climbing skills before the trip. Shocked

Often our wild boar run in groups, when disturbed they scatter in a panic. They may look slow but are really fast on their feet. Along with a set of razor sharp tusks, some of those hog critters can be big, tough and/or have an overall cranky disposition. Just remember to try and make the first shot count and stay out of their escape routes. Wink

BTW< Good hunting! Smile
grimel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

The 7/08 is good, personally I want a bigger hole and heavier bullet. 30-30 170 is good, 35 rem 200 is better, 44mag 250gr+ is better still. That and a handgun leaves one hand free for climbing quick and still shooting the hog. You want penetration over rapid expansion.

Lindy Cooper Wisdom

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Howdy. Maybe i will try the 160 gr Partiton i can still get decent speed and that should give good penetration. And yes coyotehunter_1 i can climb a tree. When my dad hunted them he said at one point they were walkin through waist high grass and he said he wasn't very fond of it. Im lookin forward to the hunt they make some good eatin and will make a nice mount for the wall. Very Happy

P E T A
Aceoky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Best of luck to you Joe! That's one hunt on my "wish list"(though it gets longer each year) Laughing Let us know how it goes?

Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Just don't go with only a bow in an area of small trees!!!! Been there, Done that, NOT FUN!!!!!
longwalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

About 8 years ago I went to Texas to shoot Wild pigs on ranch outside of Houston. I took a bow and had a great hunt. I spent two days still hunting befroe I shot one. Today I would go with a 44 magnun. Where I was hunting was low brush areas with limited shot distance. A big revolver would be just fine.
kbis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe
I had several hogs come thru here last year and just about destroyed my pasture. Most were 250 pounds plus. I would consider taking a 45/70 for these things, I hear they are real bullet magnets. A 44 mag would also be handy, that way you can shoot at them from the top of the tree Smile .
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Howdy Im gonna use the 7/08 or muzzleloader not sure yet and cary a 357 as back up. I was hopin to go this fall i may have to wait till next year. Im gonna go to NC the end of may and check out my dads new place. I will have to do some ground hog huntin this trip. Smile

P E T A
Flint54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Best of luck in your quest for the boar, if I may I would like to recommend that you load your .357 with 180gr. hard cast lead such as the old LBT WLN. They have great penetration, if you are unable to get the WLNs use the Nosler Handgun 180gr. Partition. This is one great bullet for in close, I have used it on 3 Whitetails with complete pass throughs out to 25 yds. (From a stand.) Each one dropped within 30 yds.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Flint54 Thanks for the tips i will keep that in mind. If one gets that close to me i sure want to stop him. By the way good to see a tar heel on the boards i got a lot of family in NC.

P E T A
Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Wink Glad to help out, also I was looking through my current Midway Catalog and they have "Cast Performance Ammo" this is loaded with the old LBT Bullets, hard cast and hardened to provide better penetration. They have the WFN (Wide Flat Nose) or another idea would be the Federal Custom Cast Hunting Ammo. This has been very accurate in my S&W 586 and Contender. But I would like to caution you, if you have never shot a big boar, a .357 may not get the job done as the hide and body parts are very tough, be carefull and protect your hide. I had a good friend in Florida that got his legs tore up very badly that resulted in a 4 week hospital stay. He was fortunate that he survived. Exclamation
jes66
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Boar Reply with quote

Joe,
I have to agree with Flint54, The .357 might not get the job done. I carry a Ruger 45 Long Colt, which I reload heavy or hot, as a back up side arm. The hog I took back in Oct. last year was only 250lbs. and I shot him with my 45/70. Even though it was a clean shot (didnt find out until dressing him out, the 500grn lead destroyed the heart ) this boar still ran 100 yards from where he was hit. Glad I was up in a stand. Dont want to scare you but just want to let you know what you could run into.
But being a Black Powder Cartridge reloader, I cant help you much on what to use to take a pig ( in the smokeless catagory). I can tell you stories that I have had and what a friend ran into.

Best Regards, Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 3