· Comments: 86

BSA Scopes... Any good?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltraMag1981
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I have been looking for a new scope for my 300 rum and seen that the prices are pretty good for BSA scopes, are they cheaply made? what is your opinion? will they be able to withstand the recoil of the 300rum over time?

Thanx,
Steve

Remington mdl700 sps .300 rum
Lee Enfield .303 w/syn stock
Winchester mdl94 30-30
Remington Sportsman 58 12ga
Mossberg .410 pump
Rubi extra .22
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

Howdy Steve. I have never owned one but from what i have heard they are not very good that 300rum will probably shock it out but this is only what i have heard. If they have a good warranty it may be worth a try but i probably would opt for a better brand.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Blaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I don't want to discourage you, but I would never put a BSA, Simmons or Tasco on a 300 RUM. I have not had good luck with Simmons or Tasco, and I believe the BSA would be no better. I am of the opinion (through years of trial and error) that you should put the best scope you can afford on your rifle......especially the big magnums. Having said that, I do have a Simmons Aetec on my 300 Win mag, but I have not shot it enough to know if it will stand up. The Aetec is the top of the line of the Simmons brand, but I still have my doubts about it standing up to the 300 winnie. I would suggest you look at a Leupold or Burris (for example) if you are looking for a moderately priced scope. I have learned my lesson the hard way and it has cost me a lot of $$$.
BTW, there is a new brand of scope I came across but have no experience with. It is called "Maine Vue". ( made in New Haven, Conn. I think) I put one of their 3x9x40 on my new Stevens 200 in 30-06 when I bought it. It was only $100 and I just wanted a cheap scope to put on before the hunting season, so I tried it. Not sure how it will fare, but for $100, I'm not out much if it calves.

Blaine

UltraMag1981
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

The local shop said that the Bushnell Elite's are pretty popular, I was considering one of those 1st but I seen the BSA scopes online and the prices were really good so I was just wondering if it was too good to be true. I'll prob just stick to the Elite3200/4200. The shooting that I will be using it for ranges from 50 yards to prob a maximum of 350-400!! what power scope would you guys recommend?

Steve

Remington mdl700 sps .300 rum
Lee Enfield .303 w/syn stock
Winchester mdl94 30-30
Remington Sportsman 58 12ga
Mossberg .410 pump
Rubi extra .22
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

Simply....NO.

Save your money and buy a Burris......my personal favorite Very Happy

But if you read up on them, among the top companies, they are in the top for light transmition and ruggedness.

Blaine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

[quote]The shooting that I will be using it for ranges from 50 yards to prob a maximum of 350-400!! what power scope would you guys recommend?[quote]

I would go with at least the 3x9x40 for 350-400 yard shots. I assume most of your shots will be <250 yards based on the range you state. If so, the 9x max would serve you well and keep the price moderate. JMO

Blaine

JO422

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I agree with Blaine and 10Ring on this one. Spend the money and get Leupold or a Burris. Both of these scopes have a great reputation that is well-deserved. As far as what power to get the 3-9Xvariables are hard to beat. The best thing about either of these scopes is the lifetime or forever warranties that come with them. If you're looking to save some money pick up a used Leupold or Burrus. Either one of these companies will honor their lifetime warranties, even though you may not be the original owner. I learned a hardware long time ago that you should always buy good-quality equipment, even if it takes you a while to save up for it. It makes no sense to buy something for half the price and then have to buy again at a later time. Just my two cents worth.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I would agree with the 3-9 power for the ranges you stated. Also Leupold has there new rifleman series scopes for around 200 buck and ya get there lifetime warranty Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

Gentleman.(And I use that term lightly) Very Happy ..Let me remind all of you that some of us are not as RICH as you. Let us try to figure out a good scope for the less fortunate of us. I have a Redfield 3 X 9 Compact on my Browning .30-06 that has been on there and serving well for the last ten years. Cost $200.00 on sale. I have no idea as to the quality of the new Redfield scopes...Any word on Weavers???

Merry Christmas to all. Cheers

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

bsa scopes are supposed to be better.

i just returned 2 i had 3 years after a nasty email to them and they gave me 2 brand new ones worth 118 each.

they lasted about 3 years on a 303 jungle carbine which eats scopes.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Gentleman.(And I use that term lightly) Very Happy ..Let me remind all of you that some of us are not as RICH as you. Let us try to figure out a good scope for the less fortunate of us. I have a Redfield 3 X 9 Compact on my Browning .30-06 that has been on there and serving well for the last ten years. Cost $200.00 on sale. I have no idea as to the quality of the new Redfield scopes...Any word on Weavers???

Merry Christmas to all. Cheers

Gentleman.....WHERE???? Razz

That same Redfield you have now would cost you the same as what all the others cost these days ($300+). I choose Burris myself because they have scopes at a very reasonable price and way up there in $$$ as well.....something for everybody i'd like to say (plus they are 100% American Made Very Happy ). Weaver in the GS are doing very well and i've actually heard their optics are producing a better light transmition than some other well known companies.

Merry X-Mas to all too Cool

coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

The Shooting Sports Scope Brand Page:
A Quick Overview of Brands

www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I have heard the BSA's are good , but personally I dont know .. Had a good write up in American Rifleman some time back , but they pay advertising as well ..
Weaver is a well kept secret , I'm like the others , not all can afford the brands considered "better" or "best" , so with that I would say stick with a name brand that has been around and spend as much as you can afford ..
My short list is Leupold at the top , as it is the "best" I can afford , followed by in no particular order ,
Weaver
Burris
Nikon
Redfield
Have heard that Burris has had qaulity problems , but only hearsay , have no first hand experience to say otherwise ..
No I didnt list Swar's , Kahles , S@B's , etc at the upper end ..
If money were no issue , it'd be an S@B hands down ..
Jack

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

Thank you Jack....Much appriciated. As I don't keep a list of the various manufacturers. I have had very good experiances with my Redfield that I purchased in 1995 and mounted myself. You should have seen my nieghbor when he came home and found a red 1" dot on his garage door acrossed the street. His door was around 50 yards away and made a fine back stop for bore sighting the scope.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BSA Scopes... Any good? Reply with quote

I have a friend who sells firearms and accessories as a side job , he is retired .. He quoted me $130 plus shipping for a 4x Weaver and $135 plus shipping on a 6x .. He sells the variables around $250 or so , dont recall as I was interested in the 4 and 6 ..
Have an OLD K4 Weaver , that I got from a friend who lived in Alaska for many years from the late 50's thru the early 80's , he bought that scope before he went up and I got it not long after he got back .. Is a fine scope ..
Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3