Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

bullet weight verse speed
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

A student eh?

What are you in highschool, college or university ??

Dimitri

foreign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

in what we call a polytec. like what i guess u would call a college. doing a degree in outdoor recreation and tourism
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

Ah ok thats neat, when I was in college here in Canada (different then the US, they like to call everything "college" even if its university), I worked part time at the college. A good hunk of the money for the M1A I bought came from money sitting in the bank account since then actually. Smile

Your in New Zealand a commonwealth country, so I'm going to make a assumption here, I'm sure there are quite a number of old Lee-Enfields that can be had on used gun racks, I know there are many kicking around here in Canada. And the 303 British or the Improved version of the round the 303 Epps is plenty for big game hunting. Best part is a sporterized one in decent shape can be had for quite cheap, sure not the old "song and dance" of our fathers time but still can be a good bargain. Smile

Dimitri

foreign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

hey yea there are lots of .303 around. i actualy have one. have a mossberg atr100. 243 too. i know everyone will now be saying well why doesnt ur bro just use one of them. good point but he wants to use his own gun. going to load the .243 with 95 gr for long distant varmiting and deer though to. thinking of making the .303 into a wildcat of 22 303. though that is just more $ than i have. anyone able to get range finders over there for around us$200. a leopold rx2. there over nz$800 and just want to import one. maybe canada may have them cheeper dimitri.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

A RX-2 is about 425$ here it seems just checked it out cause you mentioned it. Smile

Dimitri

foreign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

well ebay might have to be the way to go. cheers
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

Yah, I never got a laser rangefinder myself. When I decided to use one I always borrowed my dads Bushnell. Smile

Dimitri

Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

foreign: to kill an animal, varmint or game, it has to be capable of disrupting vital organs. In order for this to happen, the bullet needs to penetrate shoulder bones or ribs in some cases after passing through the hide. Obviously, the larger the animal the heavier the bullet construction needs to be to perform humanely.

Caliber 224 bullets are available with heavy jackets (Barnes TSX in several weights, Nosler 60gr partition) that will perform well on deer or antelope. The 53gr Barnes TSX has been used by two grandsons to take mule deer without need of followup shots, however, the range has been under 150 yards. I've used the 60gr partition on mule deer out to 370 yards from a 220 Swift and have found it to be a "lightning" killer, every bit as effective as larger calibers. P O Ackley found the 220 Swift was not only effective, but, proclaimed it one of the best on feral burros of which scores were killed with 22 caliber centerfires. Distance and accuracy are other factors that limit 22 centerfires ability to harvest cleanly.

Accuracy limits even shots on coyotes if the range is extended to the 500 yard range due to mirage and precise ranging of the target as well as the accuracy capability of the rifle. All of these can be addressed, but, it becomes exponentially difficult with added range. Prairie dogs? Well, we make lots of shots on them with 223 and 223 Improved at ranges over 500 yards and, when hit, there is no difference regardless of caliber.

Arizona permits 22 centerfires on game. Some even use the 22-250 or 220 Swift on elk, but, obviously with heavily jacketed bullets and precise shooting. This often requires added discipline on the part of the shooter, yet, OTOH the majority of big game in our state is taken under 100 yds and few hunters I know are capable of taking any big game at extended ranges unless very well practiced.

IOW, if using the 223 on deer sized game, the properly designed bullet that is accurately placed will kill humanely provided the residual energy allows penetration to vitals. IMO&E, this limits range to 200 yards or less.
MGKelly
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: bullet weight verse speed Reply with quote

Speaking of .303 Enfields, I saw some Ishapore made #1 Mk III's dated in the mid 60's for about $200 (U.S.) in Shot Gun News not too long ago. Modern steel and machining processes ought to make them a fine "field" rifle! BTW: these are not 2A1's in 7.62, they are actual .303's.

Just me .05 worth (inflation). Shocked

M. G.

PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Euthanasia: Viet Nam
Euthanmideast: Iraq
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 2