Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 825152
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

What is a farrier ??
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

I don't know, Tracker. After today I could shoot one horse. Gave the farrier one hell of a time. Just wouldn't settle down.

Yup...Dumb me. Lookin' for another one. Just so I can have twice the fun and twice the cost...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Bushmaster,

Perhaps the horse didnt like the Farrier ?? Confused

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

He doesn't like any farrier. They make him stand still too long...

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

We been tawking about gittin some more of 'em .. We had as few as three and as many as 8 when we were rodeoing .. 300 pounds of Omolene didnt last long , and over ten tons of hay per year .. Plus a crew cab dooley and a custom built 31 foot TurnBow gooseneck .. Stayed on the road and broke .. Loved it ..

tracker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

I've never had much experience with horses, just never had them around much where I was raised and spent most of my life, always got along ok with the ones I've met though. My Dad was (apparently) a really good horse wrangler and back in the late 30's and late 40's (world warrus interruptus) he could always get work with the different logging outfits and other farmers cuz he was so good with the animals. I think I can understand the horses point of view when it comes to farriers "hmmm, I can stand here gently while this guy drives an iron spike into my foot, or I can kick his skinny butt across the yard, hmmm what to do what to do"
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

I believe you have it Tracker. Another reason I let someone else do it.

That kind of life probably would have suited me, GroovyJack...Instead I rodeoed Navy ships...

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Ah c'mon Bushy....you love Cutter almost as much as you love Deb.

Can't agree more with you mate about the cost of owning a horse. Buggers spring nasty bills on ya at the most inopportune times too. Had one when we lived in Cairns...a beautiful horse...a show jumper and pony club critter for my daughter.

He trod on a piece of corrugated iron that some moron had lined the front of the ramp with....for the truck to unload. He cut off the back of his hoof and half the coronet, cut 4 arteries and caused a hellish mess with blood everywhere. The young female vet had me holding his leg, ala a farrier, so she could clamp the arteries. Blood everywhere, his leg very slippery, vet hit a nerve......in a blink of the eye he cocked his leg and let it go wtf Shocked ......a well placed kick to the side of my shin dropped me like a lead balloon. Laughing Of course this didn't exactly tickle. I was just about to unleash a display of profanity that anyone would be proud of when I remembered that I was surrounded by young girls from the pony club. I had to settle for AAAAAHHHHH and GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME THAT HURT. Laughing Laughing Can't remember the cost to repair the poor bugger but it was weeks before he was even close to being right.

Ah, the joys of horse ownership. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
show jumper and pony club critter for my daughter.

So Vince, you gave her what most girls want the most. What did she ask for next ?? Shocked

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Vince wrote:
show jumper and pony club critter for my daughter.

So Vince, you gave her what most girls want the most. What did she ask for next ?? Shocked

Dimitri

That was about it mate. I think she knew that the strings on the purse where tied shut real tight. Laughing

Now that she's married they have about half a dozen horses running around their 40 acres.

Cheers, Vince

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

She keeps her horses in the town?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Vince,

Interesting, I wonder if I have a daughter and I get her a horse she'll not ask for more expensive stuff after. Laughing

Dimitri

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Well "Big D"...They are a constant worry health wise, have to be shawd every 8 weeks, need their shots at least once a year. In some states, like Missouri, you are supposed to get a coggins each year. Especially if you plan on riding off property. Someone is always at the fence trying to feed them goodies and may not have a clue of what they're doing. Horses are inherently dangerous (they don't know they weigh 1000 lbs more/less.) Every body wants to ride them, have no idea what they are doing and get ruffled feathers when you tell them they can't. Then you have to feed them twice a day making sure they have a plentiful supply of fresh water or keep them on pasture and let them get grass belly. They have to be ridden at least once or twice a week. You can't leave the property for a vacation unless you can find someone that knows something about horses to take care of them while you're gone. Then you constantly worry that the horses won't screw up while you're gone. You will spend some of your time being a vet.(a lot to learn). Always worried about colic, binding up, foundering, worms and a hoste of other diseases including west nile. They have shots for horses to immune them from it and I worry more about them then myself and they don't have a shot for me. This is a brief of the fun of owning horses. And stupid me is looking for another one... wtf Oh...Almost forgot. They cost as much as a school age kid to support.

Dawgdad...You want to add anything to this? 16 horses? Where do you find the time... Very Happy

Ditto's on all of what Bushy has said. Of the 16, 4 are mine. While it is bad enough doing all of what Bushy has mentioned, throw in dealing with the owners who can run from great to downright dangerous to be around. I am lucky that right now I have a great group of boarders. I have a son and two daughters who help out a lot. The wife was working half time until last January and she did a lot then. Since she went back to full time, it has been a bit of a drain.

Vince, I see you mentioned Pony Club. My girls are in USPC and do the Mounted games and the jumpers/eventing stuff. My oldest will be representing the USA in July for the International Games exchange with the UK, Canada, and Austrailia coming to Kentucky this year.

Have you ever run into a fellow of questionable lineage, an Irishman who spent years in Australia who is now in Maryland named Robert Taylor? Bloody Hell if you ever did you would not for get him. He takes a group of Pony Clubbers down under and does a games tour every other year or so.

Dimitri - I think it is almost a genetic thing. If your daughter wants horses more than just a little bit, it is a passion.... then you might as well bite the bullet. I have spent a lot of time and money but the rewards I get watching my kids learn how to care for the horses and gain the skills as a rider is priceless. Plus it keeps their minds of of boys, no teenage male can compete with a good looking thouroghbred jumper, and it saves a lot on therapy later on in life "cause Daddy never got me a pony" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pony Club is in Canada too. I highly recommend their program for teaching horsemanship. Safe and fun.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
She keeps her horses in the town?

Gidday mate. First horse we had was kept in a stabble at the Pony Club. She now lives about 15km out of town on 40 acres.

Dimitri wrote:
Vince,
Interesting, I wonder if I have a daughter and I get her a horse she'll not ask for more expensive stuff after.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Good luck with that idea Dimitri. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
Vince, I see you mentioned Pony Club. My girls are in USPC and do the Mounted games and the jumpers/eventing stuff. My oldest will be representing the USA in July for the International Games exchange with the UK, Canada, and Austrailia coming to Kentucky this year.

Have you ever run into a fellow of questionable lineage, an Irishman who spent years in Australia who is now in Maryland named Robert Taylor? Bloody Hell if you ever did you would not for get him. He takes a group of Pony Clubbers down under and does a games tour every other year or so.

Gidday D Dawg. My eldest did Pony Club here in Australia for about 3 years but she only did it on a sport basis and inter club contests....something/anything to do with horses. Great to hear that your girls are competing at such a high level. It builds character, teaches them self discipline and empties Dad's wallet. Laughing

Only Irishman of questionable lineage I know is my dear old Dad. A great guy who I respect deeply, but with questionable lineage for sure for sure. He hails from Newry in the South Eastern part of Northern Ireland.

Cheers, Vince

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is a farrier ?? Reply with quote

Well I'm thankful I dont have a daughter yet so I dont have to make the decision to buy a horse or not yet. Very Happy :-D Very Happy

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 3