Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824415
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

.22lr ammunition
Small Game hunting related discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

Where to start????
ok will go back a few years to my high school days.....wavey faded screen effect.... Ok so that didnt work Scratch Smile

anyway,way back in 1900 and nuts n bolts we had lots of choices in rimfire ammunition as long as you has .22magnum or .22lr and we were reasonably happy....
mates from Marton used to doctor their .22lr rounds and I thought,ho hum..then tried it for myself.basically the hollow points of the time had tiny holes in nose cone all of 1mm--- 1/25" ?? across
so we used a 4" nail and twirled it in cavity to open up the end...sort of like handgun self defence ammunition. then Winchester Australia/Olin brought out powerpoint with its huge cavity in nose cone..basically what we had been doing for years and everyone loved it. the subsonic version was awesome too,betterthan the 40grn which was awesome anyway we now had 42grn which was just the ducks nuts... now we fast forward to 2022 and winchester has taken huge giant leap backwards and we can no longer get the Australian made power point...we now have 40 and 42grn hp stuff that looks like the superspeed of old (the gold box stuff that had 36grn hp with rounded nose)

the projectile shape is rounded again,with small cavity in nose. it kills like crap compared to what we have used for last 20 years,it goes right through small game,,,AND to add insult to injury, a LOT of fellas are getting piss poor accuracy and supersonic crack with odd round from subsonic boxes,Im not getting the crack as still run long origonal barrel,lots of folks running 16" barels for portability and ease of use from utes spotlighting.... to give you an idea how many rounds get used here in K1W1land ....my best night Kery n I headshot 470 rabbits using 500round brick of powerpoint,gutted and recovered them all for dog tucker... other crews on search n destroy were shooting up to 1600 bunnies PER NIGHT......
that a lot of rounds when you consider how many folks are out here doing rabbit control. possibly 20,000 rounds each night fired...so we have fair idea of what works and whats crap..
fellas are now going to CCI ammunition which may or may not be same stuff in diferent box..the winchester now coming in red plastic trays like CCI stinger used to do. not the cardboard boxes we used to...so much for reducing packaging.....
others using match ammunition of different types to get accuracy they had before.

any of you good folks in position to have flea in Winchesters ear and get hen retooling back to the good stuff???

the good news is a 4" nail still works.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

Holy moley you have alot of rabbits.

-DallanC
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Holy moley you have alot of rabbits.

-DallanC

We also had a lot of fun here untill this nasty chinese disease came to join the myxomatose. It's been told that this V.H.S. was imported with frozen chinese rabbits. It kills at a rate of 100 % and you see them rabbits drop death while running.
And as most of the time: you only miss something when it's gone... those rabbits were the music of our hunting small game. Guide and preserve those rabbits as a tressure because once gone you'll know and realize what fun these damned rabbits meant for dog, hawk and hunter.
And have you ever prepared a rabbit in a tajine with honey, cinnamon, garlic, onions... I better shut up!
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

That is impressive hunting and shooting situation regarding rabbits! Sounds like too much of a good thing. Take care. All the best...
Gil

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

I have a reasonable stock of the Winchester PowerPoint…at least a full brick…and that will keep me happy for quite some time. There is one of the CCI offerings that I find works a treat in my Krico rimfire rifle, and that is the CCI MINI MAG
22LR 40GR CPRN HIGH VELOCITY and the CCI 22LR MINI MAG 36GRHP HV. They aren’t always the cheapest, but they are accurate and reliable. At the moment, for the 40gr RN we are paying:
$18.80 /PER 100
$84.60 /PER 500
$799 /PER 5000
and for the 36gr HO HV the price is (on special):
$17.20 /PER 100
$77.40 /PER 500
$731 /PER 5000

I a, not likely to run out of .22 rimfire ammo in a hurry because I have at least another 5000 rounds of Remington SubSonic sitting there, and all of my rifles are happy with this round.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

I made something resembling Paco's accurizer to hollowpoint (or enlarger hollowpoints) of some of the "cheaper" ammo.
It enlarges the diameter of the projectile a little and/or enlarges the hollow point to ensure a better fit on the chamber and barrel and also great expansion on the target.
It seems to work well for my rimfire guns.

Here is a youtube of the tool.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVW4xyiK2Y

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
I made something resembling Paco's accurizer to hollowpoint (or enlarger hollowpoints) of some of the "cheaper" ammo.
It enlarges the diameter of the projectile a little and/or enlarges the hollow point to ensure a better fit on the chamber and barrel and also great expansion on the target.
It seems to work well for my rimfire guns.

Here is a youtube of the tool.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVW4xyiK2Y

I like it mate…both the Paco tool and the Waltz tool. Consistency could be a problem for me with the Paco tool Dr cause I have no way of making his “dropper” system, but with the Waltz tool, you use it in your press which is something we all have.

Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

seriously fellas...try spinning a 4" nail in the hollow,just enough to open it,takes all of 5 seconds and leaves everything but the tip and hollow alone.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

IMHO you don't need a holow point. I made a small tool that holds a .22 LR (and another tool for the .22 short and another for .22 WMR and another for the .22 Hornet Smile ) and keep it 90 ° when you cut a flat top with a file.
Do the test: take your round with the best groupe, file a flat top and shoot that groupe again... and be amazed that the groupe is still decreasing.
When hunting small game with such flat-topped round you'll notice the improvement of transferring killing energy from the round to the game.
Years ago I was able to buy a decent amount of Swartklip subsonic solid point. With a flat top filed they are the best cheap hunting .22 LR I've ever seen in most of my rifles.
It's a pity that Swartklip doesn't produce that round anymore...
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

So you are making 22lr wad cutters for hunting? I'm curious what the final weight of the round is once you shave off the tip.

-DallanC
Aloysius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

it's not a wadcutter, it's a flat nose.
And your question is interesting, but I don't like the idea of putting a .22 LR in an inert hammer. So I put 5 Swartklip subsonic rounds out of the box on a scale and the average weight of a round is 51,828 grains. Then I took 5 flat-nosed-rounds out of a Buckmark magazin and the average weight is 50,856 grs.
So I lost 0,972 grs, that's about 1 grs of lead I filed away.

From my PCP rifles I know that they need a round nose for accuraty at greater distances (say + 25-30 yards), so I would never recommend the flat nose .22 LR for 100 yards shooting, but: who is hunting with a .22 LR at such a distance? And maybe I should try them once on a day without wind at such + 100 yards as the flat nose realy shrinks the groupes at shorter distances.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

Humm...Well now...I shoot opossums and armadillos at 80 yards from my deck down into the holler with a Winchester Model 290 using CCI mini-mags.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: .22lr ammunition Reply with quote

I’ve zeroed my Krico at 50m and it is shooting around an inch. I then checked it at 100m and the group opened up to less than 2”, which is well inside Minute of Rabbit headshot.

The RED centre circle is 50mm (2”) and the first BLACK ring is 25mm thick (total 100mm). I’m happy with that accuracy for bunny busting.

c94e64ee-da67-4be7-97f1-284bc418001a.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.66 KB
 Viewed:  1716 Time(s)

c94e64ee-da67-4be7-97f1-284bc418001a.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1