HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: BBaca201
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12970

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 33
BOT: 2
Total: 35
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Home
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Home
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Home
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Home
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Your Account
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Your Account
25: Forums
26: Forums
27: Home
28: Home
29: Forums
30: Home
31: Forums
32: Your Account
33: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums
02: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2414
  · Views: 773794
  · Votes: 1313
  · Comments: 86
 

6.5 Grendel anyone?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8185
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I'll start off with some 123 grain Hornady SSTs and see how it goes.

The SST is a fragmentation bullet, lethal but not something I like to hunt meat with. Suggest trying the new CavityBackBullets. They out expand any bullet I have tested. Their 3 pedals create a Tri-Star wound the promotes bleeding like I've not experienced with other bullets.

www.cavitybackbullets....-s/107.htm

I've shot two elk with the 105 MKZ in my 6.8 out to 200 yards and they went down as fast as any elk I've shot with my .270.

Hope your Grendel works out well for you. I'm sure it will be very accurate.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8699
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
The Grendel was designed as a military cartridge ...

Pkslinger, this is what the Grendel promoters say while they trash everything else. Why would a cartridge designed for the military have such a low SAAMI chamber pressure.

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
From what I'm reading it works well on deer at any distance I'm likely to shoot and on varmints WAY out there.

More advertising. Would you say the same of the .243? The Grendel is short of .243 performance. Right now, anything with 6.5 in front of it is a hot item with the popularity of the Creedmoor.


well said Slim

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8185
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
I've shot two elk with the 105 MKZ in my 6.8 out to 200 yards and they went down as fast as any elk I've shot with my .270.

Just so one doesn't think the 6.8mm is a short range rifle, other 6.8mm hunters using the MKZs have shot deer DRT at 300 yards with 12" barrels and elk to 400 yards with 20" barrels. Pkslinger, I do hope you give these bullets a try.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8185
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Picked up another insightful tidbit. Half of all the 6.8mm barrels AR-15 Performance sells got to Texas. Texas is where hog populations are the thickest and out of control.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
gemihur
Member
Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 27
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

I've got a 23" 6.8 SPC barrel for my contender.
It squeezes all there is from the little cartridge with 100 gr. bullets. Nice
I've got a 17" barrel in 6.5 Grendel for the contender. I prefer it over the 6.8.
Maybe it's because I shoot it more but I hit what I aim for with the 6.5.
Built an AR to use 6.5 Grendel and 5.56.



6.5 build sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.54 KB
 Viewed:  2372 Time(s)

6.5 build sm.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4840
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Nice rifle gem! What trigger did you use?

Here I am, a year later, and my parts are still in a box... However, retirement may be on the horizon toward the end of the year so I'll need something to do then.

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
gemihur
Member
Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 27
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

.264 LBC
6.5 Grendel
confusing?
that's exactly what they intended
just keep on shootin' what you got
Back to top
View user's profile
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4840
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Sorry for the poor photo but yes, I really did build a 6.5 Grendel finally! I've got to work on the fit of the handguard some. That scope may be a bit much too (3 to 15x) but it'll do to start. I'll get some better photos later.


_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8185
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Pkslinger, glad you finally got it done and you can enjoy some recoil therapy! Looks beautiful! The scope looks fine. You should see the Viper PS-2 5-25 on my Valkyrie.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
gemihur
Member
Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 27
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

The Grendel is just impressive to me.
An all-around good shooter and handy for the hunt.
I predominately utilize it on my contender.
I load heavy for bore bullets (140 gr) and have it sighted in for 1oo yds.
Back to top
View user's profile
gemihur
Member
Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 27
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger,
My AR is just assembled with standard parts kit in an Anderson lower and a Spinta barrrel.
But I love that scope on yours. heck at 15X you can see your hole in the target!
I'm really a single-shot guy
444 Marlin on my contender

Hang on, man!



7-30.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.57 KB
 Viewed:  1180 Time(s)

7-30.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4840
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

I did finally get the Grendel to the range! Fired one shot and it locked up tight... I had to tap the charging handle with a rubber mallet to get the spent case out. I'm really disappointed and not sure what's wrong. Next stop is probably the gun smith, to see what I've done wrong.

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8185
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Pkslinger, did you handload your ammo? I thought there were two different chambers for the 6.5 Grendel. Ammo manufactured for one chamber could be overpressure in the other. There may also be 2 different bolts. Sorry that I don't know the details like I do for the 6.8mm SPC and SPC II

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4840
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

Hornady factory ammo. I've got a Lyman bore scope/camera that I'll take a look with.

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
gemihur
Member
Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 27
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 Grendel anyone? Reply with quote

sounds like gas situation on your lockup
I had to get my barrel's gas port bored out a good bit to return enough to BCG to cycle fully. Different buffers are also required for different barrel lengths.
Let us know of the remedy of your lockup. May come in as a valuable reference.
I told you I was nutty for contenders, here's a 'special needs' barrel that needed a wrap

6x45 or 6x223
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by *Dizfunkshunal* :.