Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

rattling amunition containers????
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

does this drive anyone else to distraction???it sure jerks my chain....
well today while sitting at reloading bench,was refilling my 30round mcm case and spotted my ear plug had fallen down hole....lightbulb moment...pulled it out and cut into 4 sections and poked them down into bottom of cavity...placed some rounds in ontop and YES YES YES ....the rattle is gone,only a tiny bit of movement noise and took a bit of effort to get that.... found all my used earplugs from around the show (dont know why I dont chuck them after use?) and found enough to fill all 30 cavities Very Happy Very Happy

RePete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

I just cut a piece of foam to go in the lid, about 3/4" - 1", depending on the caliber.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Never been concerned with the sound of live ammunition in my boxes (plastic slip tops). Why would you? Been getting caught sneaking out of the house by the wife?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

in pocket/pack while hunting...Ive always used the plastic nifty holders that come with federal centrefire but as of late been using 22-250 on hares so carry more than 10 rounds....just in case.
often after wallabies will carry 50 rounds as can use that in half day hunt.

RePete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

When I'm deer hunting, I have 3 mags loaded and 8 or 10 rds in the Federal holders. I don't place those on my belt just in my waist pack.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

RePete wrote:
When I'm deer hunting, I have 3 mags loaded and 8 or 10 rds in the Federal holders. I don't place those on my belt just in my waist pack.

Ya us too. Those things are handy, I have a dozen or so we keep reusing. Slip them in a pocket or two and GTG.

-DallanC
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Did you mean when hunting? Oh...Well hell. Years ago an old man (my age now) told me that I should carry at least two loadings of handgun ammunition plus the six in the handgun and at least two loadings of rifle ammunition plus the five in the rifle. Making it 18 rounds of handgun and 12 rounds of rifle. Besides my knife and other small items like snacks, some line and matches. I carry no backpack or any other packs. Just what I can carry in my pockets of jeans and heavy coat. My belt that I use for hunting has the necessary loops for this purpose.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

I use one of these for rifle ammo when hunting. Quiet, fits in pocket or pack.

www.midwayusa.com/prod...pid=923546

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:

I was given something similar for Christmas a couple of years back.
Whoever made it used velcro for closure... Bang Head
English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:

I was given something similar for Christmas a couple of years back.
Unfortunately whoever (yeah, China...) made it used velcro for closure... Bang Head

I cut off the "hook" part & use a nice quiet rubber band to hold it closed.
PaulS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever carried more than the 5 rounds in the magazine... Do you guys have deer that attack you?

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
pete4d

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:

I have a couple , they're handy , pick up and go .

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Now Paul, I know that you have hunted in the Northwest mountains (Cascades) and probably on the High Desert. Five rounds just may not be enough to get you out of trouble.

I've been shot at (for fun) by some person that ended up with a bullet hole in his jeep windshield. And I have had a broken arm (my stupidity) 50 miles east of Seattle. Didn't need more then 5 rounds in either case, but....

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

When I go hunting I take a 50 round MTM box for each caliber of rifle I have with me. I also take 200 .22 rimfire rounds (a mix of hi-speed and subsonic) as well, plus 25 - 50 assorted rounds of 12g (for rabbits and up close and nasty for pigs). Why so much...if there isn’t any game about, then we usually set up a target at various ranges and take the opportunity to shoot in “field” conditions rather than off a bench at the range.

I usually take a .22 rifle, a double barrel s x s 12g, an O/U 12g (if my grandson goes with me), and the centrefire rifle of choice depending on where I’m hunting...either a .243 or a .223 and or a 30.30 lever action. If I’m hunting where there is likely to be both pigs and deer I’ll take both the .243 (for deer) and 30.30 (for pigs). I built a firearm rack for the front of my quad bike that holds a shotgun, and two rifles...usually a .22 rimfire and a .223 (for those long range rabbits).

I usually carry with me 2 x mag loads of centrefire ammo (6 x .243, 10 x .223, 16 x 30.30), carried in the Federal holders, for the centrefire rifle I’m carrying, 2 x box of 50 (1 x subsonic and 1 x hi-speed).22 if I’m carrying a rimfire rifle, and around 15 assorted loads of 12g (if I’m carrying a shotgun) depending on the anticipated game. I like to sit quietly under a tree and snipe a rabbit warren, and depending on the proliferation of rabbits, 50 rounds might not be enough. The rest of my ammo stays back in the camp locked away in my camp box.

I suppose my attitude about the amount of ammo I have on hand comes from my days in the Army when you could have too little ammo and only had too much when you couldn’t carry anymore. The Aussie Army never subscribed to the “mad minute” type of clearing patrol in the morning because we couldn’t always guarantee an ammo resup that day.

We we go camping/hunting we are usually out for 4 days, so it’s a case of better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: rattling amunition containers???? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Now Paul, I know that you have hunted in the Northwest mountains (Cascades) and probably on the High Desert. Five rounds just may not be enough to get you out of trouble.

I've been shot at (for fun) by some person that ended up with a bullet hole in his jeep windshield. And I have had a broken arm (my stupidity) 50 miles east of Seattle. Didn't need more then 5 rounds in either case, but....

OK, I do carry my "American Express" gun and two quick loaders for it. I have never hunted alone but usually way out in the woods. We have hiked into some real hell holes but rarely see another hunter besides the two of us. No high desert hunting yet...
I back-packed and camped in most of the Cascades and Olympics for a week or two at a time and never fired more than a round or two. I'm not against carrying more ammo, I just never needed it. The only vehicle I ever saw when back-packing or hunting was a plane that landed on Lake Dorothy just east of the crest trail. They stayed for a couple hours of fishing and then spent an hour climbing high enough to get over the peaks on all sides. I wondered if he was going to run out of fuel before he got out of that hole in the mountains.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 1