Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824188
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Well folks,
They,ve packed a bunch of 120 MKZ,s to try out. Should be interesting.
Hope everybody,s doing ok.

TS

I,ve have lost track from over the years on how many Whitail,s I have dumped.Got lost a couple of times but I still got out around sunset. I am here as a good friend to help with any questions that from knowledge under my belt I can answer. God Bless. Thank you for letting me sit at your table.TwoSeventy .
TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Slimjim,
Can I get the load data you used for the 120 MKZ/22" Barrell/3200 fps/ for my 270 Winchester? Cavityback/copper. I,m using H4831 plus s cut.
Would this load be plenty for Black Bear critters ? Or do you suggest from your thoughts that I should stick with my Nosler Partitions in 150gr and 140gr bullets. I want to have a reliable load so while in the woods I would feel more than confident all mid range big game could be handled ok?
I sent a E-mail to Cavity Back on a question I had and to my surprise, the guy that first designed these copper Bullets in his garage called me back on his cell phone.Super nice guy to talk too. The first orders to manf. this design sold out very quickly. the 2nd. order sold the same way as the word started to get out by gossip. So, he said, this order was a much larger request to handle all the new and more order,s he gets. I wished him the very best for success with this bullet he designed and told him I and other reloaders would spread the word about them. Later, T.S.

I,ve have lost track from over the years on how many Whitail,s I have dumped.Got lost a couple of times but I still got out around sunset. I am here as a good friend to help with any questions that from knowledge under my belt I can answer. God Bless. Thank you for letting me sit at your table.TwoSeventy .
TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Slimjim,
I have this gentlemen,s cell phone number that he gave to me .

Cavity Back Bullets. The developer. But I need input on rather I should post his number ? You guys let me know on what you think on this.

T.S. 02/26/2017 2:52 PM EST

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

TwoSeventy wrote:
Slimjim, Can I get the load data you used for the 120 MKZ/22" Barrell/3200 fps/ for my 270 Winchester? Cavityback/copper. I,m using H4831 plus s cut.

TS, I reloaded with IMR4350.

57.5 grains of IMR4350, Rem brass, CCI200, 3.215" COAL

You can look up the 120 Barnes on-line and use that as a guide.

www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

It looks like you will run out of case capacity before you hit max pressure with 4831. Load the MKZ as far out as you can without touching the lands.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

TwoSeventy wrote:
Would this load be plenty for Black Bear critters ? Or do you suggest from your thoughts that I should stick with my Nosler Partitions in 150gr and 140gr bullets. I want to have a reliable load so while in the woods I would feel more than confident all mid range big game could be handled ok?

This is your call. If you develop a load with the 120 MKZ that you are happy with the accuracy and have confidence in, then considering using the MKZ. Otherwise, go with your old standby. How close will you be shooting?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

ok, tks. probably no further than 150yds.

TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Slimjim,
On the load you just gave me for the 120 MKZ. If there is a crimp groove on this bullet, did you add a crimp to it ? TS

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

TwoSeventy wrote:
Slimjim,
On the load you just gave me for the 120 MKZ. If there is a crimp groove on this bullet, did you add a crimp to it ? TS

TS, there is no crimp groove (cannelure) on the MKZ. I loaded the bullet so the base, gas check ring (middle ridge in groove), and 0.025" of the shank forward of the grooves. Though not required, I do use a light crimp on all my bullets, even monolithic. I have found it make neck tension more consistent. But I only use a collet crimp die (from Lee). Do not use any crimp feature integrated into the bullet seating die - they only cause more problems than they solve.

TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Slimjim,
Thanks for all your input of info.. I do have the complete Lee die set, so I can do this light crimping. On other kinds of reloading where they suggest there is no need to crimp, based on this quote that if you do add a crimp, will this effect cup pressure and did you consider this as not a problem to be concerned about ??

TKS. TS

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

TS, I have done pull tests to measure neck tension on the .270 Win. Crimping did not increase neck tension but reduced the variation in neck tension by 50%.

TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Slimjim,,
I will start light crimping with my Lee die on all my reloads. That was the only concern I had was on what crimping effect,s on cup pressure. It also should improve accuracy on your target.
Does the the half bullet press turning 180 deg,s help accuracy also ? Seem,s you mentioned this from my memory.
TKS>, TS

slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

TwoSeventy wrote:
Does the the half bullet press turning 180 deg,s help accuracy also?

I learned this from Elvis. I have not done quantitative testing on accuracy improvement but it does improve concentricity measurably - which should help improve accuracy and reduce the number of fliers.

TwoSeventy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. Amer Reply with quote

SlimJim,
I just found this Forum website discussing the MKZ cavity Back Bullet. FYI:

TS 68forums.com/forums/sh...tive-range

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

twoseventy....Id bet bushys left testicle that is Slimjims post/testing.lmfao

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic Your best all around get by Big Game Bullet N. America Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
twoseventy....Id bet bushys left testicle that is Slimjims post/testing.lmfao

Yep, I reckon you are right Elvis...those results look very familiar mate.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 3 of 5