Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824112
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

Well Doggone it, a 6-8 point buck appeared just as I settled into my stand, as luck would have it, I seen him while roping up the bow. Sad He kept me company then put himself at the far edge of the corn field and bedded down. I could see his head and antlers (100-yards) but thats about it.

Then about 1 hour later this nice size doe was walking right towards my stand and she was coming towards very slow and cautiously, she moved about another 20 feet and raised her head up to where my stand was and I'm thinking wtf , she caught me, sure enough, bolted 10 times faster then she came in.

Just as I was about to call it early...2 small does come out of the woods. At about the same time another comes out just to the left of me. It is now close to dark time and my eyes are having a hard time, then another buck crossed 75-80 yards away. An 8ptr thru binocs, another big deer with a nice rack. He goofed around a bit then seen the other deer down the hill and headed that way. At dark I took the opportunity to get on down without stumbling and not crashing out of the stand and back to the car w/o spooking anything else.

No meat in the freezer..yet!! But With vacation time I have 2 weeks left till the end of the year and will use one for bow and one for gun season. Then I get another chance in January for the whole month. Very Happy

One thing I will say is that it was 63* F outside hunting, it has been that way for the last few years during the early deer hunt season here. I can remember deer hunting back in WI during the 70's and we always had snow and cold temps.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

you'll get the meat mate..
the anticipation is often more fun than the kill..
enjoy.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

sounds like you are having a great time anyway. keep us posted.

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

That's Bow Hunting!
I have been going through pretty much the same thing. I have a stand set up on the edge of a field that is 200 yds X 200 yds. and the deer are either too far for a shot, or they come out right under me, and take off before i get a shot. I keep going back, because I see deer there often enough. Sooner or later one will make a mistake, or I wont make a mistake (it could happen Wink )

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

Well took another day off work and wouldn't yah know it was so foggy you couldn't see 30' in front of you!! Shocked The fog didn't lift until 11am and two does both with fawns in tow were within 20yds ...but nuthin followed them. A third showed promise when she tried to sneak past the corner of the pasture, but stopped and went the other way.

45 min later a small spike followed her path through the trees.and that was it, another long miserable day in the stand with nuthin to show for it. 2 days...no meat in the freezer. And as I headed out the woods, the fog has returned made for an interesting drive home hoping not to get a deer with the truck.

BTW the local weather guy predicted sunny with highs in the 60's with no mention of fog. Mad

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Late Saturday Afternoon Bow Hunt Reply with quote

I hate bush stalking in the fog it gets me all confusdicated!!! direction is hard to keep as the raisin bun is playing hide n seek. in saying that I find deer will stay out in the open as they feel safe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 1