· Views: 824923
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New Gun for ME
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRFixIT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Scope came in today Smile

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Nice looking rig there Mr.! My friend has the 270 in the axis and he drives tacks with his gun also. As an aside, I made a AntiReflectiveDevice ARD out of metal screen that was on a set of 6x8" speakers. The metal was flat black and all I did was trace the inside of the butler creek scope cap and trim until it was a snug fit. Works beautifully in the sun. And cost about a half hour of time. That might be something that you may want to make for your rig.
Chimo
ITD

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

You know what you've gone and done now, don't ya Mr FI...you've caused me to drool all over my keyboard, and I don't know how I'm gonna get that slime out from between the keys. Sad Laughing

Nice looking rig mate...I'm looking forward to your range report now that you have it all together.

ITD Ron wrote:
...As an aside, I made a AntiReflectiveDevice ARD out of metal screen that was on a set of 6x8" speakers. The metal was flat black and all I did was trace the inside of the butler creek scope cap and trim until it was a snug fit. Works beautifully in the sun. And cost about a half hour of time. That might be something that you may want to make for your rig.
Chimo
ITD

I like your idea for the ARD Ron...I have a couple of speaker covers laying around here that might just fit the bill mate. Do you think it makes a difference to the critters mate? Do you think that the reflection from the scope lens is enough to spook them?

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
MRFixIT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Thanks Vince Smile

Had it to the range today. Didn't shoot to bad,I only had a few rounds made up to dail the scope in some what.

Target was at 40 Yards
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

thats a very dead piece of paper for sure. great work.

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
You know what you've gone and done now, don't ya Mr FI...you've caused me to drool all over my keyboard, and I don't know how I'm gonna get that slime out from between the keys. Sad Laughing

Nice looking rig mate...I'm looking forward to your range report now that you have it all together.

ITD Ron wrote:
...As an aside, I made a AntiReflectiveDevice ARD out of metal screen that was on a set of 6x8" speakers. The metal was flat black and all I did was trace the inside of the butler creek scope cap and trim until it was a snug fit. Works beautifully in the sun. And cost about a half hour of time. That might be something that you may want to make for your rig.
Chimo
ITD

I like your idea for the ARD Ron...I have a couple of speaker covers laying around here that might just fit the bill mate. Do you think it makes a difference to the critters mate? Do you think that the reflection from the scope lens is enough to spook them?

Cheers, Vince

I tried the ARD on my 22250 today out hunting dogs and it did not work that well. Mad I am thinking that I need to enlarge the holes in the screen as they are .0043" and they really obscure what you are looking at in full sunlight. Embarassed I'll keep you posted on my progress.

And yes a reflection off the front lens does spook coyotes,foxes from my experience. I also try not to wear dark sunglasses as they reflect also. I try to keep my eyes shaded.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

some where in the past Ive seen screen glasses frames that were about 2mm thick black plastic lenses filled with tiny holes, in bright sunlight you could comfortably read as the only light was from where you were looking. do these things work the same?

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

MRFixIT wrote:
Thanks Vince Smile

Had it to the range today. Didn't shoot to bad,I only had a few rounds made up to dail the scope in some what.

Target was at 40 Yards

I reckon you have got it zeroed ok mate...and from the looks of that target, its a definite keeper mate. Well done.

Ron...I'll have to have a look at the screen I have here...measure the holes in them and see how they measure up. I am surprised they obscured the screen mate...I would have thought that being so close to the lens they would be so far out of focus as to be a minor blur at best...a bit like looking through a flyscreen up close.

Cheers, Vince

inthedark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
some where in the past Ive seen screen glasses frames that were about 2mm thick black plastic lenses filled with tiny holes, in bright sunlight you could comfortably read as the only light was from where you were looking. do these things work the same?

There you have it! If the lens is close enough to your eye then they work very well but if you put that same lens a foot away then you get a haze that really distorts what you are looking at. I am drilling out some of the holes to let more light enter and I was thinking that we had the old lens covers back in the day that had a large squar hole cut right in the middle of the lens cover to cut down on reflection. I am still going to experiment and come up with a workable solution that is effective and cheap and easy to do. The I am going to post it here! Angel

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

www.google.com/product...CEwQ8wIwAA

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Smile I've also seen that "sniper veil" material used for creating a Ard sun shade over the lens,and if you get the correct colors of camo-it helps to blend into your surroundings! Laughing

inthedark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Good Go there Punkin!
I have used veil material before for shade on the lens but I was looking for something that doesn't get caught on brush etc and also to exercise my creative (read Cheap) side. I have a bunch of old scim in different colors that I use for tree stands etc.
Mine you, Punkin has stuck on some good prices so that shot my plan in the butt!

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

$13 for a Leopold product is damned hard to pass up mate. If nothing else, you could buy a set and then do some measurements to reproduce something similar for your other scopes.

Cheers, Vince

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Ive seen good old conduit pipe taped on/over the front lens it cut the field of view a little but stopped the glare.

MRFixIT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gun for ME Reply with quote

Had a chance to take rifle to the range this afternoon. Rifle shoots way better than I'm capable of. Put a few in the same hole, fly a few.
600 75 gr should be here tomorrow. Need some time on this one Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3