Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824614
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

CAMO! Is it realy needed???
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:

What does this have to do with camo anyway...

Well you see if you were wearing camo while running the 100 miles nobody would be able to see yo.............. I don't know what it has to do with camo either......... Very Happy

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

Quote::
Bushmaster wrote:

What does this have to do with camo anyway...

Scent factor.......New camo with the scent lock will hide the stink of running and sweating Laughing

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

I am not living on the plains in the year of our Lord 1600 ..... anymore.

Shocked

Anyways there was a few articals about scent-loc clothing if I remember correctly the guy that first created them based them on the NBC warfare suits the Millitary wears. So if you really want scent control get a suit off them you can find them new in wrap at surplus stores in Olive Drab Very Happy

Dimitri

ripper007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

when I had bow hunted, I used camo from the army surplus store. lol. the pants I picked out had blood stains on them. best pair of camo pants I ever owned.
I used a fine netting camo cover to cover my head. not only did it serve a great camo set up but it also kept the mesquitose and bugs off my face.

I kept this stuff in a bag with tree bark and cedar braches with some weeds from where I did my hunting. this would let my sent resemble the surrounding erea that I hunted and did a very good job at covering my stinky man sent.

it worked good. I stood next to a fence line just inside a small cedar tree. on the other side was a deer trail that looked heavily traveled. sure enough. about with in 15 minutes, a huge doe came walking down the trai.
it walked right up to me with in 3 to 4 feet. I could see its every little detail on its face.
being that close it did smell something but did not and could not figure it out.
one problem. the cedar tree I was staning in. I check to make sure I had plenty of room in front of me to hold the bow up to draw. I did not ch eck to see if I could draw the bow back . lol. that got me. as the doe stopped right in front of me, looking around and sniffing. it was not alarmed and was calm. I slowly started drawing the bow string back. as I started to pull back, my elbow was right against a cedar limb. about half way back on the pull, the limb was realy starting to have some tension on it. 3/4 of the pull., the limb slipped off my elbow and hit my side. lol.
in a split second, that doe jumped about a foot high and was off like a lighting bolt.
I did have a perfect clear shot to the heart section before she fled for her life.
by the time I jumped back out of the cedar tree, to take a shot, the deer was already bout 45 yards away, maybe alittle more. it tuned to run right. I aimed about 10 yeards ahead of her, and let go.. right over the top of her, missing with only a few inches.

I had to tell this story to go along with the camo close I kept sented with natural woods materials.

to be honest , I realy do not know how well the camo cloths helped with not beeing seen. but I do know that the natural sent from bark and other surounding stuff did help.
the camo did help to keep other people seeing me. thought it was funny to see some one walk right by and never see me.

delboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

I always wear camo, it's warm, it has lots of pockets, it doesn't rustle and, best of all, a jacket costs under $20. Good enuff 4 me! Smile

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
Yep moose2........... X2 Very Happy

Spacedone, { a man can run 100 miles in a day while a horse can only run 40 miles} {this is how indians aquired horses}.

Are you kidding, you are not speaking about me cause I wouldn't make it 100 miles........... Very Happy

Gidday Spacedone...mate, I am a bit confused Confused about a horse only being able to cover 40 miles a day. Maybe that is galloping flat strap, but certainly not at a slower pace. My son-in-law and daughter regularly enter their horses in trail rides that are pretty long and they cover more than that in a day easily. And as for a guy covering 100 miles a day Shocked Shocked , maybe a Zulu warrior could, but sure as God made little apples the average white man sure as hell couldn't. I have done far too many looonnnggg marches when I was in the Army (80 km, 50 miles) and DO NOT believe that a man could run 100 miles in a day unless he was an exceptional athlete, and even then it would be an extreme exception.

Hey ya 1895ss......100 miles, come on mate, a young fella like you would do that on his ear. Now as for me....I couldn't run outa sight on a pitch black night! Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Bushy....red and black...never heard of that combination for camo Laughing
Surprisingly they say one of the best combinations over here in the bush is pink and grey in the right proportions. I'm with you as far as getting around goes. If I have access to a motorcycle, vehicle or horse then I ain't walking.

Now, back onto Topic.
Gidday guys, I'm neither for nor against camouflage clothing. I can see both pros and cons to it. I use it cause I get it for nothing and it don't matter if I rip it or get crap and corruption all over it. I'll continue to use it whilst ever I get it at "the right price". When that no longer is possible I'll be going out in my Levis and a t-shirt regardless of the colour. As for the odourless soap.....a couple of good farts, preferably chilli or curry based,
wtf Embarassed Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
gets rid of any "sweet" smells you may have on your body or clothes, and any mates around you too. Mad Mad Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

CRACKPOT? Who he?

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

OOPS...Stupid finger missed the "S"...Sorry. (Maybe)

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

its documented fact young indian males used to run horses until they collapsed and were then caught, remember im talking your american indian males 200+plus years ago {learned this fact in school} who were in there prime of life {14-15} and were used to running and hardship.

people back then could do things we cant even concieve of today.

indians also tag teamed horse catching ie figure out the trail the horses would run and then one chase the horse 20 miles then another chase it 20 miles until it could be caught wild horses are like deer and will run in huge circles.

in basic i marched 28 miles in 5.5 hours {required in 1975} and was not in the shape a 15 year old indian was in 250 years ago and know it.

my point is every successfull big game hunter uses some form or camo. even if they dont call it that.

deer get used to things. park your truck on there trail every day and in a short time they are no long afraid of it. sit in that truck and they will walk right passed it and never look at you.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

And we, including the indians, can do a whole lot of stuff that they couldn't do 200+, 250, 300 years ago and I, for one. am glad...The indians, for the most part, stampeded the horses into box canyons or brush enclosures. Running down a single horse was not profitable nor was it what you call fun or easy. Few did it...Probably only the crazy ones. Too much smokum...

Spacedome...You need to either enter the modern world or find a time machine...HG Wells had one...

The indians also stampeded the buffalo over cliffs too. Sooo?? Don't tell me they were conservationists either. Because they were not...I also am a history buff. Except for one thing...I have entered the preasent and do not dwell on the past except to remember and no more...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

if you dont learn from the past you will repeat it.

especially the bad parts.

all hunters live in the past to some extent.

we honestly dont need to hunt to eat. we honestly dont need 300 win mags or 375 H&H for personal protection. but some of us have hunting in our souls.

why the heck would a modern man use a copy of a gun 150 years old to kill a elk at 5000 feet in the mountains that he spent 3 days of horseback getting to.

sounds like your living deeper in the past than i am.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

I'm Sorry (not) But I don't use my horses to hunt with as some stupid (so called) hunter would shoot them. I hunt on foot and am a still hunter and tracker. All my guys are trained for high mountain trail only (as high as 9,000 ft). Camp was at 8,245 by GPS. Stick with the subject...

1895ss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
And we, including the indians, can do a whole lot of stuff that they couldn't do 200+, 250, 300 years ago and I, for one. am glad...The indians, for the most part, stampeded the horses into box canyons or brush enclosures. Running down a single horse was not profitable nor was it what you call fun or easy. Few did it...Probably only the crazy ones. Too much smokum...

Spacedome...You need to either enter the modern world or find a time machine...HG Wells had one...

The indians also stampeded the buffalo over cliffs too. Sooo?? Don't tell me they were conservitives either. Because they were not...I also am a history buff. Except for one thing...I have entered the preasent and do not dwell on the past except to remember and no more...

AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............... hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm I think you're right Bushy.......... Smile

glockman55

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

All Right Bushy.. Keep it alive...I'm with you!

Glock

Flint54

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CAMO! Is it realy needed??? Reply with quote

Cool I have and use various forms of camo.

Clothing : (mainly due to the fact that if you want to get most of the modern fabrics it only comes in a camo pattern, if it came in solids or large checks that would be the way I would go.)

Stands/Blinds: Yup, use them and like them, tree stands and also have a Outhouse ground blind, they do the trick! The outhouse is used during incliment weather, it keeps me dry so I can stay out all day.

Body/clothing cleaning products: Scent free cleaning compounds without brighteners have worked well for me.

Cover scents: Have used them for years, pine needles, cedar bark/chips, dirt, fox urine, apples and a few other things. I keep my cleaned clothing in a couple of suit bags with some pine needles & cedar bark & chips it has worked well for me.

In a way its all camo. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 4 of 5