No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 825023
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Fastest way I know of to get the copper out.......
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

I'm still around.....grins.

Just been too busy to know which end is up.

Believe it or not I've switched gears on this gun cleaning, though I still use Elite as the mainstay.

Now it's just easier than before.

Got wind of a "new" product and boys...I'm sold on it.

It's much akin to a permenant moly coating for the bore, though it's not moly. It was first called Micro Slick. It's now called Ultra Coat and it's soon to be offered in DIY kits. I've an inside scoop that a first run of bottles will be filled within a few weeks. From what I'm told, one bottle will do about five rifles, or a couple three 50 cal ML's or a couple shot guns.

I've nothing vested in this other than I got one Rifle done with it and I'm just waiting for the kits to come out instead of mailing whole actions half way across the US.

This stuff is simply amazing. It was whiped through the bore and allowed to dry. As I understand it, the thickness of the coating is on the level of microns. It more or less only "stains" the metal and provides for all intents and purposes, ZERO dimensional reduction of the bore size....incase that would be a question. I asked it when I made the inquiry. It was also applied to other parts of the rifle, the inside of the bolt, the inside of the Rem trigger mechanism, ect.

I can attest first hand that what I posted originally in this thread is the HARD way to clean a Rifle. With the Micro Slick coating it's as simple as pumping an Elite saturated cotton bore mop mebbe 10 times in the bore, then slammin' a couple patches wet with Carb Cleaner down followed by a couple of dry ones. It takes more time to get the stuff out of the cabinet than it takes to clean the bore. And this is with shooting Barnes TSX's!!!!

Two things to make note of though....

I've been told to never ever ever use a metal bristled brush in this Rifle again. It's simply not needed and it could for some reason harm the coating. I've thrown my 30 cal brushes in the trash.

I've also been told that Micro Slick will NOT make a bad barrel shoot better, or a slow barrel shoot faster. I can though, see value in what a clean barrel can do and that in itself is a benefit.

I've witnessed testement, and have had conservations with a known competition shooter in Texas, who is also an avid black powder hunter, deer, hogs, elk, ect., who put this stuff in a junk 50 caliber ML barrel...shot it several times and let it stand for weeks just to see if it would rust from the BP fouling. From what I can discern, it did not rust. My ML will be one of the Rifles coated when the kits come out.

Also, if this ain't yet just to good to be true, I've knowledge that this stuff is at the present being put into 500 to 600 barrels a week for a well known arms maker. I dunno if I'm allowed to talk about it but look for some amazing things to come out in the near future. I've not seen anything published or anounced as of yet so I'll keep my mouth shut on that.

If you can, get your hands on some of this stuff and try it. One Rifle bore will make you a believer.........................
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

Dallan....

Appreciate the sentiment but I've a lot on my plate right now.

I'll just post what I can when I can...........
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

wildswalker: your post is heading us in the correct direction IMO. IOW, the best way to reduce copper fouling is to treat the bore and make it more "resistent" to fouling in the first place.

John Barsness' article "Never Clean Rifle Barrels", Handloader 247, June 2007, page 98, elaborates on another product that addresses the matter*. Too, he takes the conversation about cleaning barrels to a different level. My experience in shooting centerfire 22s matches much of what he has written as I clean my 223 and 220 Swift HB prairie dog rifles only when there is a degradation of accuracy, or, at around 270 to 380 rounds respectively. I am of the opinion that if one has a good quality, smooth barrel (or laps a rough barrel to be smooth) that there is little case to be made in cleaning before needed.

* Ultra Bore Coatings by Doug Burche is what John was using and he describes the process and results. Barsness is, IMO, the most forthright of our current crop of gunwriters.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

Just lemme know if there's anything you'd want me to personally ask John...........
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

wildswalker wrote:
Just lemme know if there's anything you'd want me to personally ask John...........

No questions from me, but, that could change. Barsness' output of quality articles is amazing as well as his active contribution to the 24 Hour Campfire. If, however, you are in contact with him, please let him know that his information and opinions are striking home with a lot of experienced hunters.

I work at a small gunshop in Glendale, Arizona and Barsness is held in high esteem by the cognoscenti. If we are looking for an experienced and reasonably modest gunwriter without a personal agenda to become the next Jack O'Connor, John Barsness is about as good as it gets. IMHO, of course.
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fastest way I know of to get the copper out....... Reply with quote

He tried once to suggest (convince) me to rebarrel a former .270 Win to 338-06 instead of 30-06.....

I could clearly see his logic and can easily thank him for inspiring the need for two rifles and not just one......

Barsness is no joke....................................
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 2