Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824075
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Guys and gals, I just want an opionion or two on hunting Thar by herding them by helicopter. Just had a program on TV here about it locally Ground Hunter and guide 17 Hrs to get a decent head whereas the Chopper gets it done in about 2 hours start to finish. Go to tvnz on demand then go onto the "Sunday" Program and look at "Bad Blood in the Mountains".I'm a ground pounder but want to see how you all feel about rich tourists doing it the easy way.

Radar

George Orwell
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Can't seem to get the video, found it but it won't load. Anyway I do have an opinion on the subject (as you might guess). A heli ride is one thing, a hunt is another. There is absolutely no respect for the hunt, for the animal and for the integrity of tourism. Exploitation is not a sport and in my view neither is hunting. I'm not out there trying to out-do someone else. If the tourist doesn't have the time, then they shouldn't pretend to hunt. They want a trophy, but don't have the time? Why don't they just buy an already mounted head and go home? It's less work! What's left for the "ground pounder" the culls from the heli-touri-hunt? Is that what your hunting permit pays for? It can't cost them enough to do that and that money should go directly to the real hunters, the guys that are supporting the ability to hunt. I'm sure it's a very small portion that goes with the tourist permit to hunt. So what! Actually that sort of thing should not even be an option to hunters (actual hunters) or tourists. And, like Obama, I've never even seen the video!

Suz

Erny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

While i have nothing against using a helicopter to get into prime isolated hunting country, that's where it ends for me. As for using a helicopter to herd the animals to the shooter, (Not hunter) you might as well be shooting fish in a barrel, and call it sport fishing! And as for shooting out of a helicopter, that should be made illegal straight away! If it's not fair chase hunting, it's only slaughter, regardless of how you dress it up!
They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves! Embarassed

Cheers erny.

radar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm like you both, don't have a problem with accessing via Helicopter but I don't like to see them used in the actual hunt. Trophy Heli-Hunts go at about $5000 USD, thats a hell of a lot of money, then you got all the rigmarol of paying for mounting etc on top. I think I'll stick to flying, in then pounding the ground. Funny thing is that helicopters are about thre only way of accessing a lot of NZ hunting areas, as for permits, it's mainly free....except for the hunting preserves.

George Orwell
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Radar! Well I guess that's on a par with African safaris as far as the money goes. If you're flying from USA to NZ or Africa, you've got some throw-away cash anyway. Guiding sounds like a good business to be in over there, some rare animals and some trekking to get the job done. If I was only 30yrs younger....

Now I wasn't able to see the program on the computer, I have to ask, are they using to heli to scurry the critters along or to shoot from or to get close?

Suz

radar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Suz,

according to the program they are doing both.

During the 60s thru 80s NZ went thru a meat hunting then live capture hunting phase using helicopters, prior to this there were Govt Employed Deer Shooters - lots of good books and stories about both. An interesting era in animal control and manipulation in NZ. I can send some book titles that would give a good general oversight if you can source them.
In my job as a cop we've been involved with Fatal crashes from this type of flying and hunting, I have seen first hand a Robinson R22 carrying 3 shot Red Deer, a pilot and shooter, thats about 3 x overloaded, I also know Pilots who flew during the era and have some great yarns about what they got up to, most of these I have confirmed from independant sources. The tales they weave are bloody funny but in my area we all know someone who's been injured or killed in the chopper days as they are called.
If you want to know more contact me on my email address.
Radar

George Orwell
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

well radar as a fellow Kiwi who is also a groundpounder as you so wonderfully put it I do have an opinion on this.Yea I know people tell me I got a opinion on just about everything! but you asked. Yea its a "unsporting way" to get an animal and NO I would not do it for a thar or chammy but I bet that like most 30 something kiwis I would not turn down the chance to get a deer for meat that I could shoot from a chopper just to say I had done it. I wouldnt turn down the chance to "ride the strop" either as the heros of the meat hunting days did for the same reason.I dont think it is in any way sporting to obtain a trophy this way, but then neither is shooting "behind the wire" but it is going on all over the world. the issue of is it sporting doesnt apply as there are no rules to govern shooting big game, as apposed to fish and waterfowl. I think these actions are on a par with gillnetting trout or shooting ducks on the water but those actions are illegal by legislation wereas shooting thar ect dont have the "statise" that trout or birds do. wait and see what happens if canada geese are taken off the gamebird list. it will make thar by chopper look tame by comparison but the media wont kick up a fuss it will be open slaughter and all it will lead to is highly educated geese over a even wider area than they are now.NO I dont agree with the methods used. my 11 3/4 " bull thar was taken the hard way as were my chammy. But money talks and bs walks. If a tourist shooter/collecter want to pay enough $ anything is posible human nature being what it is.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Well...as an opinionated bloke, I'll throw my two bobs worth in as well.

I too am a walk in hunter, and "hunting" from helicopters is definitely not hunting. I fail to see how anybody can in all honesty accept a chopper, scaring game out into the open, then hovering nearby so a well heeled tourist can shoot it and claim the trophy, hunting. Some have mentioned laws and it not being sporting....well in my mind it is TOTALLY unethical. A hunter has a responsibility to the animal he is hunting; to ensure a good clean ethical kill. I fail to see how he could guarantee this from a platform that is hardly stable...a helicopter. Nope...definitely not on in my books.

Using a chopper to fly in to the start point of the hunt is acceptable though. No different to using a 4WD, quad bike, horse or "shank's pony".

Having said that, spot lighting at night is not considered fair hunting by many overseas, but it is a well accepted common practice in which many hunters participate...myself included...out here in Oz.

It is common out here in Australia for the Govt to sanction culls from helicopters...but as far as I know, only on feral animals that have over populated.

Hunting from helicopters...no such thing...it is definitely NOT hunting, well not as far as I am concerned.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
44marty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

You won't get ME into a bloody helicopter. Darn things are fighting the pilot, trying to crash the whole time they are in the air.

Besides, the fun is in the challenge.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Agree, that helicopters should not be allowed for hunting game animals. Some had tried to get laws passed in Texas but have failed. Hunting feral hogs is allowed from helos has been very successful.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

vince my good man, get hold of and read Rex Foresters 2 books the chopper boys and the helicopter hunters. great reads and the skill of those blokes was fantastic. nope its not sporting but if used for control of over population sure beats 1080.no animal shot from a chopper or behind wire is a true trophy in my humble opinion.

radar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Elvis - I'm a "couple" of years older and have slung under helicopters for work stuff, it's bloody exhilerating. I agree with your book recommendation both books well written and researched. It's not sporting thou.

George Orwell
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Fair chase fer me...

Nose in the wind, scurrying after game, crawling on yer belly, kicking bushes, sweat in yer eyes as you mount the gun, stilling yer heart as you break the shot...long walk back to the truck with birds in your belt or a rack on yer back knowing how sweet the meal will taste cuz you worked your arse off for it......

THAT'S hunting IMHO.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Stovey wrote:
THAT'S hunting IMHO.

AMEN brother. Bow Bow Cheers

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
AorakiGuidedHunts
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Helicopter hunting Thar in NZ Reply with quote

Just found this forum. Me very much disagree with this ''hunting of Thar and Chamois''. Every game animal large or small should be respected and killed humanily. Helicopters , of course can be used to fly into a remote areas to get dropped of with fly camping gear , food etc, to hunt and search for game , then take your trophy.
Just my thoughts.

Simon Darling

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2