HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: 284Hunter
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 13029

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 43
BOT: 2
Total: 45
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Your Account
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Forums
11: Home
12: Forums
13: Home
14: Photo Albums
15: Your Account
16: Forums
17: Home
18: Home
19: Forums
20: Photo Albums
21: Home
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Home
25: Your Account
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: PointBlank Ballistics
31: Forums
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Home
35: Your Account
36: Photo Albums
37: Forums
38: Forums
39: Your Account
40: Home
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums
02: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2434
  · Views: 798155
  · Votes: 1314
  · Comments: 86
 

Going Moose hunting
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 18, 2005
Posts: 3488
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

So we had our big game drawings, and after about 24 years of applying, I drew a coveted Moose tag. Going to be a mighty interesting fall.

They are fairly uncommon... but I know where to run across them. This past years rifle deer season we counted 6 different moose over a few days time.

Anywho.. its going to be an adventure!


-DallanC
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8252
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Wonderful, Dallan! I hope you have a big freezer!! Keep us posted.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Pumpkinslinger
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Sep 22, 2007
Posts: 4897
Location: NC foothills

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Fantastic! I look forward to reading about your successful hunt!

_________________
Mike

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Grey_Wolf
Member
Member


Joined: Aug 06, 2015
Posts: 165

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
So we had our big game drawings, and after about 24 years of applying, I drew a coveted Moose tag. Going to be a mighty interesting fall.

They are fairly uncommon... but I know where to run across them. This past years rifle deer season we counted 6 different moose over a few days time.

Anywho.. its going to be an adventure!


-DallanC

Shocked Shocked 24 years!? And I thought our system was lacking! One of the hardest (longest wait) here to draw is antelope, sheep and goat. My son and I are a priority 12 for antelope and could likely draw soon, depending on the area we want to go. I don't apply for sheep or goat so not really up to date on the numbers there. Goat, unlike the others, is a random draw with no priority to be gained so that would make it the hardest. Or you could get lucky and get drawn the first year you apply. It is also a one and done scenario if I remember right, once in a lifetime drawing. Once drawn you can't apply again. The rest you gain priority points for every year you apply but do not get drawn.
In my area we are currently about a four to five year wait on moose draws. Mrs. Wolf was drawn two years ago for a cow and I partnered up on her licence taking a nice calf. My son should get drawn this year for bull.
Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 18, 2005
Posts: 3488
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Utah has an interesting system, and IMO its the most fair. They take the number of tags for a given species / unit and divide them in half. Half goes to the "everyone" pool that litterally anyone can compete and draw out of. The other half goes into a Points Pool... so people who dont draw out, earn a point and the points pool get drawn from by people with the most points.

So someone who applies for the first time, does have a small chance at drawing out... while someone who stays in the drawings for a really long time is guarented a tag... eventually I guess if they live long enough.

24 year seems like a tremendous amount of time... but reality is, the Utah points system it looks like a pyramid. X number of people in top tier with the most bonus points, then X+Y number of people in the next tier down... then X+Y+Z in the tier after that. So each tier down has more people than the tier above it.

I was in max points tier drawing. There are only 30ish permits given in my entire unit (and its a staggeringly large unit). The following tier below me, has at least a 25 year wait to clear out.

Truely, there is virtually zero chance anyone outside of the top or 2nd tiers will ever draw in their lifetime. There's just too many people, too few of animals. This holds true for Bison, Mt Goat and Sheep.

LE Elk is becoming "once in a lifetime" to draw. There's a 5 year wait after successfully drawing before a person can put in again, and some of the more popular units are upwards of 20+ years to draw in the first place. A person who choose say Archery, has an order of magnitude better draw odds to pull a tag than say a rifle tag.

LE Deer, and LE Antelope are much easier to draw. My first ever drawn tag was utah Antelope. My wife drew one a few years later. We did alot of antelope hunting in Wyoming killing a dozen or so goats over the years.

I've drawn LE (Limited Entry) Elk, LE Antelope, LE deer and now OIL (once in a lifetime) Moose.

My wife has drawn LE Deer, LE Antelope and OIL Mt Goat.

My dad drew OIL Moose, and OIL Bison... the bison tag went unfilled. That hunt is harder than anyone can imagine.

But we got into the game early and stuck with it.

Utah also has "general season" deer and "general season" elk tags... the deer can be drawn every or every other year usually.. and the GE elk are over the counter still.

-DallanC


Last edited by DallanC on Mon May 16, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 15291
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Its a shame you are so far from Oklohoma Dallan...I saw hundreds of Bison on the Great Grass Prairie in Pawhuska Oklohoma, although free to roam wild (no fences) I believe that they are on a State Park or Indian Reservation land.



img_0437.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.04 KB
 Viewed:  187 Time(s)

img_0437.jpg


img_0423.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.68 KB
 Viewed:  187 Time(s)

img_0423.jpg


_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Aloysius
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 03, 2009
Posts: 2367
Location: B., Belgium

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Wonderful, Dallan! I hope you have a big freezer!! Keep us posted.

and when the freezer is to small: at such occasions you can find a lot of friends on the Huntingnut who will appreciate a moose-steak!
(I tasted one in Sweden a long time ago and it can compete with Argetine's beef-steak. A very good remedy for people with a big appetite! For your info: my mouse-pad is since that time a piece of Swedish "KING OF THE FOREST"-leather in memory of my Swedish friend Olle who passed away a few years ago.)
Back to top
View user's profile
Grey_Wolf
Member
Member


Joined: Aug 06, 2015
Posts: 165

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Utah has an interesting system, and IMO its the most fair. They take the number of tags for a given species / unit and divide them in half. Half goes to the "everyone" pool that litterally anyone can compete and draw out of. The other half goes into a Points Pool... so people who dont draw out, earn a point and the points pool get drawn from by people with the most points.

So someone who applies for the first time, does have a small chance at drawing out... while someone who stays in the drawings for a really long time is guarented a tag... eventually I guess if they live long enough.

24 year seems like a tremendous amount of time... but reality is, the Utah points system it looks like a pyramid. X number of people in top tier with the most bonus points, then X+Y number of people in the next tier down... then X+Y+Z in the tier after that. So each tier down has more people than the tier above it.

I was in max points tier drawing. There are only 30ish permits given in my entire unit (and its a staggeringly large unit). The following tier below me, has at least a 25 year wait to clear out.

Truely, there is virtually zero chance anyone outside of the top or 2nd tiers will ever draw in their lifetime. There's just too many people, too few of animals. This holds true for Bison, Mt Goat and Sheep.

LE Elk is becoming "once in a lifetime" to draw. There's a 5 year wait after successfully drawing before a person can put in again, and some of the more popular units are upwards of 20+ years to draw in the first place. A person who choose say Archery, has an order of magnitude better draw odds to pull a tag than say a rifle tag.

LE Deer, and LE Antelope are much easier to draw. My first ever drawn tag was utah Antelope. My wife drew one a few years later. We did alot of antelope hunting in Wyoming killing a dozen or so goats over the years.

I've drawn LE (Limited Entry) Elk, LE Antelope, LE deer and now OIL (once in a lifetime) Moose.

My wife has drawn LE Deer, LE Antelope and OIL Mt Goat.

My dad drew OIL Moose, and OIL Bison... the bison tag went unfilled. That hunt is harder than anyone can imagine.

But we got into the game early and stuck with it.

Utah also has "general season" deer and "general season" elk tags... the deer can be drawn every or every other year usually.. and the GE elk are over the counter still.

-DallanC

With the exception of goat ours are all on priority. We do have the option of applying for priority only which is nice - if you know you can't get away in the fall for a particular hunt you can still increase your points. Mule deer and moose are almost all on draw through the entire province.

There are draws in some zones for elk and white tail deer, some zones are open on a general tag for those two species.

There a few of the northern most zones that are usually undersubscribed for moose - the available tags are sold on a first come first served basis. You have to reserve your tag online for this.No body wants to hunt up there lol, LOTS of bog, swamp and marsh. Early fall before frost the mosquitoes and black flies are horrendous. It's a wonder the animals have enough blood to live!

The points gathered are not tied to a specific WMU (wildlife management unit) so the real popular zones require a high priority and the less popular quite a bit less. Some zones for some animals you can almost get drawn every year. My son and I are sitting at about 12 for trophy antelope and are darned close to be able to get drawn in the zone we want. I am a two for cow moose at home here and may get drawn this year if I decide to try and pull the tag, my son is a four for bull moose and should get drawn this year. I likely won't try to pull the cow tag as he should get his bull - we just don't need two big animals in a year (plus a steer from the farm). Covid has skewed the draws a wee bit, requiring a higher priority in some areas to get drawn. I think there was a ton of guys sitting on priority that finally had the time to go hunting!

One problem we have here is the resident/non-resident rules need to be tightened up. We get a lot of transient workers from the east coast coming here to work, applying for resident draws, but still living on the east coast where they also hunt moose. Kinda double dipping on the resident tags...
Back to top
View user's profile
Loke
Member
Member


Joined: May 13, 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Which area did you draw?

_________________
Life is too short to carry an ugly gun.
Back to top
View user's profile
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 18, 2005
Posts: 3488
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Wasatch. And the unit is insanely huge.

Corner of the Spagetti bowl in SLC, south down I15 past Salina, up the east side through Price and Duchene, then over north of Currant Creek back around Jordanelle on its south side, then up to Park City and back west down I80 to spagetti bowl.

I've seen moose as far south as fairview, but IDK if there are many south of there. Salina being in the unit is ridiculous.

-DallanC



mooseunit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.75 KB
 Viewed:  146 Time(s)

mooseunit.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Loke
Member
Member


Joined: May 13, 2013
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Still waiting to draw that one. I might know a spot that is relatively easy to get to, that had a really nice bull that wanted to hang out at my truck for a while. Good thing that I had pictures because I was late for dinner.

And its less than an hour from your house.

_________________
Life is too short to carry an ugly gun.
Back to top
View user's profile
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 18, 2005
Posts: 3488
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

I have alot of people feeding me hotspots, offering to keep an eye out for moose while camping / archery hunting etc. I regularly see bulls up AF canyon in a couple specific spots. They are usually younger bulls... but, any of those areas could hold a good bull. Its all kind of random when the rutt comes along... bulls will wander for dozens of miles looking for cows.

I may go with a guide, I know of one who consistently brings out some very big bulls. He's made me a more than fair offer.

My brother drew Wasatch moose years back (12?), decided to use a bow just to be unique... ran across a monster, shot it. It ended up being the state archery record. LOL IFAIK, its still the state record. Oddly, he's embarrassed about it and rarely mentions it to people. He kindof hates the modern "trophy
& Score mentality" today. Hard to be against scores and whatnot when you hold a state record.

I have no such aspirations. If the opportunity presents itself, I would use my 50cal muzzleloader... otherwise my gun of choice will be my Winchester M70, in 7STW. I have some dandy handloads shooting 160gr Accubonds at 3200fps. They've killed alot of elk.

-DallanC
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8926
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

hireing a guide isnt really silly at all...you have a lot of time and $$$$ tied up in what is a limited amount of time to seal the deal...... the $$ spent for the guide devided per kilo of harvested meat would be tiny...AND its another set of eyes to spot and most importantly LEGS to carry out all that juicy freezer filling meat.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 15291
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
hireing a guide isnt really silly at all...you have a lot of time and $$$$ tied up in what is a limited amount of time to seal the deal...... the $$ spent for the guide devided per kilo of harvested meat would be tiny...AND its another set of eyes to spot and most importantly LEGS to carry out all that juicy freezer filling meat.

That makes a lot of sense Elvis…and it will help the local economy.

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 8252
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Moose hunting Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
hireing a guide isnt really silly at all...you have a lot of time and $$$$ tied up in what is a limited amount of time to seal the deal...... the $$ spent for the guide devided per kilo of harvested meat would be tiny...AND its another set of eyes to spot and most importantly LEGS to carry out all that juicy freezer filling meat.

... and its his pick-up truck getting beat-up going up into the mountains and off-road!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT - 7 Hours



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by *Dizfunkshunal* :.