Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824084
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

"Bever or rat" their back
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Pike ??????
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

I really don't think that Pike would be a smart move. You think snakes are nasty....grab hold of a sizeable Pike and see what happens....been there, done that......very scary.

Dimitri.
Antivene in your First Aid Kit would be a waste of time. I don't think you would be allowed to have it anyway.

If you were bitten and administered the wrong antivenene chances are it would do you a real nasty mischief....maybe even deaded you badly.
Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

You think so Vince ?? Confused

Well I'll ask my doctor sometime and get back to you Very Happy might be in about 6 months as I dont go there offen Wink Very Happy

Dimitri

kbis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

A beaver up date.

We got over 3 inches of rain Thursday night so yesterday I checked to see how the spillways are doing. They are pluged up and my dock is lacking about 1 inch from being under water.

We have had rain since I shot or think I shot the last beaver at the end of March and no sign of activity. So I don't know if this is the old beaver who has recovered from his wounds or I have a new family that has moved in.

I must say they are getting creative in their building. The kid up stream has made a play area near the stream so that when it rains I get all kinds of strange things in my lake. There was an old 1 gal. gas can that was on the bank that the beavers used to plug one of the spillways. The beaver has also change his (if it is the same one) building style. There seems to be more mud and branches and less weeds.

I was hoping that my beaver was dead since there was one dead one the road about a 1/4 mile down stream yesterday, but no luck, the spillways were pluged up again this morning.

Since I don't get off work until 11 tonight I guess I will go down to the lake and try my little blind out in the middle of the night. I just hope these are late night beavers :).
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Goodluck Kbis Very Happy

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Give 'em hell mate. You definitely have to get a spotlight of some sort.

There are quite a few out there that have a built in rechargeable battery that are around 750,000 CP, more than enough for what you need. You just need to find a way of securing it so that you have both hands free to shoot.

Cheers, Vince

sniper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Kbis: I read on a varmint hunting site somewhere that the guys used really bright spotlights, just using the edge spill. It didn't seem to disturb the animals, and gave enought light for shooting. I don't remember if they had colored light, though. Good luck.
kbis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Thanks sniper
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Hey kbis, I decided to do a little research on your Beaver problem and found the following website. Have a read as I think it may provide a solution to your beaver problem:

The Beaver

I suppose that it becomes a case of working with one another rather than against each other. I notice that they say beavers eat vegetable matter and make no mention of meat/fish. Confused Maybe there is some other critter chomping on your fish.

Now, if your problem is Nutria Rat you will need to do some homework, but like the beaver they are herbivorous.
Confused
Good Luck mate.

Cheers, Vince

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Vince they might be killing off the fish to protect themselfs because the beavers see them as a threat ?? Confused

Dimitri

kbis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

A nutra rat could be a possibility. What I was told my my wife was a dead beaver on the road by our house was in fact a nutra rat I think. It looks like a small beaver but has a pointed tail.

I have spent the last 2 nights sitting by the lake and no sign of activity. I only opened 1 of the 3 spillways, that way the running water will last longer and it will be less strain on the pond below.

At least it gives me something to do after work Smile .
sniper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

kbis wrote:
To all of you who followed my exploits last April will be happy to know that I now have a beaver (or beavers) and/or nutria rats in my lake AGAIN.

KBIS: I just GOTTA ask. What is the latest in the great human vs. rodent war? Mad Have you eliminated them from your pond with or without the aid of alligators? Shocked Have you tried high explosives yet? Tell, tell.. Very Happy .
kbis

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

It think I have reached an unofficial peace treaty with the critters. They were plugging the spillways so that my dock was under water and I would destroy their work, this went on until the water level was about 2" below the dock. Since then I have not destroyed their work and they have not built any higher damns, now all I have to do is firure out how to get rid of the snakes. So life is now wounderful unless we get a lot of rain and the beavers get greedy.
kbis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

The peace treaty has been broken. 2 days ago I found my spillways plugged with mud. I don't know why, there is no running water, infact the water level is about 3 inches below the spillways.
Yesterday I was down at the lake just after sunset when I spooked one next to the shore opposite the spillways, unfortunately all I had was a 22 rifle. I now see why people buy scopes with illuminated cross hairs. Trying to find a dark gray moving target on an almost black backdrop and then put the black cross hairs on it is challenging to say the least. I don't know if I hit him or not, but as soon as I shot a second one came swimming from the spillway. Fortunately this one was not in as big a hurry to submerge and I got a good shot at him. I still don't know if I hit either one, I will just have to wait and see what floats up in the next few days.
At least they did not finish their job last night. I hope it is because they are DOA and not just calling in sick for work :).
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

HA HA HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE HEE ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

kbis old mate.....I'm sorry, but this is a scream. We don't have beavers in Australia so we don't have to suffer this problem.

Have you thought about an electrified fence. You don't need mains power, either a battery or solar power. A "hot" wire strung strategically will make them sit up and take notice. wtf Shocked Shocked Shocked
I mean, if it is enough to contain cattle and horses in a paddock it will sure as God made little apples zap a beaver well. Very Happy Very Happy

I reckon it would be a good afternoon's "sport" watching the beavers trying to work around the "hot" wire. Watching one of them get zapped would be funnier than the day Granny got her boobs caught in the mangle. Laughing ROFL :rofl2:

You could always go into the beaver skin hat business. Very Happy Very Happy

Keep us informed mate.

Cheers, Vince

kbis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bever or rat" their back Reply with quote

Vince- the beavers are going to have free rein over the lake for a little while. Work schedule is such that I am going to have to get up at 4 A.M., that means hitting the sack at about 8:30 and the sun doesn't set until 8:25.
I will check at work and see what they get for a battery operated cattle wire.
There was a time when you could get big bucks for beaver skins, but since they are technicially protected I might get in some trouble try to sell them.
In the mean time just remember-
bolt
bolt
bolt Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 5 of 6