A Good Day at the Range
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: A Good Day at the Range Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm
    ----
I was working up loads in 223 with CFE223 using my favorite bullet, the Hornady Varminter in 60 grains. I also was trying to improve on my best two IMR 8208 loads with the same bullet but a shorter OAL. Well the CFE loads are coming along but need tweaking but I struck gold with the 8208 ones.

All targets are 5 rounds from a sandbag rest. Just gotta love it when you find the sweet combination.

#2: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm
    ----
Not bad for 25 yards, MacD. Or do you use meters up there?

#3: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 pm
    ----
Oh, I blew up the image and saw this was 100 meters. Nice, MacD. What velocity were you getting with the 8208 and CFE?

#4: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm
    ----
Pretty nice groups! It sure is fun when your own handloads do good.

#5: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:05 pm
    ----
I love 8208. I would be curious as to your velocity too. I run 77 grain match bullets over 23.2 grains with no pressure issues at 2750 fps.

#6: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm
    ----
My previous for the two loads was avg. 2746 and 2751. Unfortunately there was a slight mist falling while I was shooting and my chrono was getting wet so I put it under cover and as a result no velocities . These were my first CFE reloads and 26.6 grains is near max. Hodgdon lists 26.7 at 3176 fps but I always find I am well below their specs. I usually do better with a mid-range load although the 8208 loads are right out of the book and are start and 0.5 above. My max OAL to lands with the Varminter is 2.351 so I started my first loads out a bit from the book specs. This has usually meant a more accurate load but not in this case.

I am hoping to get out again this week and I will report velocities assuming my chrono and the weather co-operate.

#7: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:22 am
    ----
very tidy groups. thats a very dead varmit!!!

#8: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 pm
    ----
Minute of Eyeball! Yes!

#9: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 am
    ----
Oops I made a small error. The brass was Lake City 1x fired and FL sized.

#10: Re: A Good Day at the Range Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:31 am
    ----
Still Minute of Eyeball! Yes!

-> Reloading Ammunition