Elk Hunting in Colorado
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: metz3601 PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:11 am
    ----
So I will be hunting Elk in colorado for the first time, and the first time hunting elk in a decade... does anyone out there know anything about GMU 59 or the surrounding areas??

#2: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 am
    ----
I have not hunted in CO. There are forums dedicated to elk hunting. You might try searching there also. Just type in elk forum in you search engine.

#3: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 am
    ----
Hey metz...Welcome back...

#4: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm
    ----
Post some pics of that adventure man!!!

#5: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: metz3601 PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 pm
    ----
will do, hopefully I get lucky, gonna try to get out and do some scouting this weekend, see what I cant stumble across!!

#6: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm
    ----
That's not how you scout elk. Walk up on them in their beds and they get up and move 8 to 15 miles. Listen for the bull bugles, look for the coming down out of the mountains around 430pm to feed or going back up in the morning. Interacting with them going up and down is not as big a deal and they likely will not move away.

#7: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:18 pm
    ----
I was hunting Elk in Washington a few years ago (well 30 maybe). We had a party of 6 people including a game warden. We found all the elk (a sizable herd) on the other side of a dirt road (the NO HUNTING side). The warden told me that he didn't see me go around them and push them back across the road. Well I did that and......

Just short of the road they turned and ran right past me. They were not going to the other (hunting) side of that road.

#8: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
It's not like they can read or understand that hunting season is here but the do understand when on one side of the road they die and on the other side they live...... Smart in a different way.

#9: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: metz3601 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:45 pm
    ----
So yesterday I'm standing around talking to a couple buddy's about this weekends impending scouting trip, and my first sergeant calls me into his office... And proceeds to tell me that I am leaving on Monday to go to FT Irwin, CA to help out another unit do some training... And, naturally, I don't get back untill the last day of 3rd rifle season... Looks like no elk meat for me.... Again...

#10: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 pm
    ----
Work sure gets in the way of life!

#11: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 am
    ----
That's a bugger Metz old mate...but that's life in the Army. You'll get your chance mate...hang in there buddy.

#12: Re: Elk Hunting in Colorado Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 am
    ----
Damnit!

-> Big Game Hunting