Possibly a dumb question
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Possibly a dumb question Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:12 pm
    ----
So I have been loading for 30-40 krag and I am experiencing some stuff that I find a little strange. When I am seating bullets periodically my brass actually caves in at the shoulder. The first time I experienced this I had the crimp set wrong but I have since readjusted and have ran about 30 rounds through the die with no issues. The last couple I ran through the die came out either bent or the shoulder caved in. The die is a hornady die. Does this sound like bad brass or a die problem? Or perhaps something I am doing wrong?

#2: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:54 am
    ----
Is your brass getting too long from firing and resizing and in need of trimming to proper length?

#3: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:13 am
    ----
Here's a couple of other possibilities. For one, you might be over lubricating the brass. This can cause denting of the brass. And second, your dies may need to be cleaned. Most dies have a vent hole in the threads that lets air escape. If its plugged, this could cause some denting of the brass also.

#4: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 am
    ----
From your post, I understand the problem occurs with your seating die. First of all, you shouldn't have to crimp a 30-40 Krag but if you must, get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and the problem should go away. The reason some are collapsed and some aren't is probably because some cases are a little longer than others. Also, make sure you have chamfered the mouth of all your cases.

If the above doesn't help, then your sizing die is probably sizing the neck a little too much.

If the problem occurs during sizing, then dented shoulders are generally caused by too much lube.

#5: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 am
    ----
Most seating/crimping dies tend to push the bullet in a few thousands of an inch as the crimp starts. If the crimp is set too short it will crimp the bullet then try to push the bullet in causing the collapsed shoulder. This can be adjusted for as you have found out.

The best remedy for this is the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).

#6: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 am
    ----
I agree with all of the above, but especially about the crimping. The 30-40 shouldn't need a crimp and that appears to be one of the points you mention. As Bushmaster said, your die is attempting to crimp as the bullet is being seated that last couple of thousandths of an inch which causes a lot of case-neck stress. I would back the seating die out until no crimp is present, re-adjust the seating stem to seat the bullets to length and load without crimping. There really shouldn't be a problem.

#7: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 pm
    ----
Try backing the die out of thepress 1 turn and reset your seating plug a bit lower (to compensate for the die being away from the shell holder).
I have never crimped my 3006 rounds and have never had a problem.

#8: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 pm
    ----
I agree with all the above but will add one other point
the ONLY dumb question is the one you should ask but dont!!
Its far better to ask and find out than continue as make a bigger stuff up.

#9: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 am
    ----
Aah Elvis, the "philosopher"....

Good Morning all.....

#10: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm
    ----
Mommy why does daddy run to the bathroom all scrunched up as soon as he wakes up?

just sayin
Suz

#11: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm
    ----
Shocked mommies die's set too tight?

#12: Re: Possibly a dumb question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
Probably...She sure as hell has something in a bunch though

-> Reloading Ammunition