Good day at the range
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Good day at the range Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:58 pm
    ----
I took today off and went to a gun shop and picked up and Marlin 1894 in .44 Rem. Mag. Then I stopped at another gun shop and got a Weaver base and a used scope with rings for it. After fooling around with this rifle, I went to the range to sight it in along with a few other rifles. What an afternoon and the club range was nearly empty.

I swapped scopes and rings on a Savage 110 .30-06 and started shooting at 50 yards with reloads. The rifle was close and the rounds were touching on the target. Then I shot a Sears Model 50 FN .30-06 that got a new Timney trigger (the original trigger was a two-piece arrangement) and Buehler safety. I mounted a scope and had no idea where it would print bullets. Same story on target. This rifle loves IMR4350 and 150 grain bullets and was easy to sight in.

Next was the FN 1951 commercial.30-06 that was rebarreled into a .280 Remington. I have several .280 bolt actions and all of them do very well with Hornady 139 grain spire points and IMR4350. This is my favorite rifle.

Finally, I got to the Marlin 1894 and my reloads. The SWC hard lead cast bullets did not feed easily from the tubular magazine. The jacketed bullets worked fine. Some minor scope adjustments were required to achieve bullseye groups. Fading daylight cut my trip short, but it was an impressive session. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Good day at the range Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:07 pm
    ----
It sure is nice to have day's like that Gil they just don't seem to happen often enough.
Joe

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions