Job ad that my college sent out.
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Jokes & Humor

#16: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 am
    ----
MacD wrote:
He has a lot of customer contact but for the positions that do not his company is hiring recent immigrants and paying them comparatively less. All this to say that the labour market is getting more viscious in step with a global business economy.

Mad If the US and
Canada don't start to stem the flow of new emigrants pretty soon-then us native born will soon all be eating from the same can of pork and beans,and living out of the back of an out of gas station wagon parked at a rest area or walmart parking lot!This Echeck/Everify for employers seems to be broken! Mad

#17: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 am
    ----
TRBLSHTR wrote:
Mad If the US and Canada don't start to stem the flow of new emigrants pretty soon-then us native born will soon all be eating from the same can of pork and beans,and living out of the back of an out of gas station wagon parked at a rest area or walmart parking lot!

To be fair people have been saving similar things here for the last 60 years. First it was the inrush of Southern Europeans to blame after the war, then it was the Asians, now its the Africans and Middle Easterners.

I yet to see any of it come true based on what has happened, just a bunch of Anglo-Saxons descendants complaining, cause they started to buy homes made by Italians, or coffee at a coffee shop owned by a Greek, or shopping at a convenience store owned by a Korean, or God forbid we hire 6-9 month temp workers from South America cause they are willing to work their asses on the farms for 15$ a hour, while the farm owners sit on their ass watching and young people who used to do that kind of job here said "hell no" to it, at least here in Canada anyways. Very Happy

Fear not, the world as we know it is not coming to a end, not yet anyways.

Dimitri

#18: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 am
    ----
Shocked Well I have a different take on it and mine is that the employers here will use any loophole or opertunity that they can to increase their profit margins,by doing anything that they can get away with-legal or otherwise.I don't have a problem with the legal part but the Not so legal portion of not checking about backgrounds(visas,work eligibility)is against the law and when it affects my livelyhood(work,money)then I will speak up!If our joint governments are so stupid as to keep importing labor when we have people here that wish to work-then we need a change of goverment officials.Native born vs. imported labor should be a no brainer.And in the lower 48-at least my state-not speaking for other states;the young people are not allowed to work in the fields for various reasons now,although they were allowed to work there 30 years ago.And the "imports" bring their children to the farms to work against our age restrictionsTired of the darn double standards.BTW;don't tell me the world is not coming to an end until you have lived under a kenyan dictator for almost three years! Razz

#19: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:48 pm
    ----
well NZ has been toted as a multicultural society for years, I remember when we were just plain BI!!!! apparently thats not PC enough anymore.
the temp import issue has been around as long as I can remember too D.
when I was just a young fella the hill country farmers had Fijians working cutting scrub with slashers whole gangs of them because they could afford to do it. Ive worked in strawberry fields alongside Cambodian refugees who got away from the baddies over there and made there way over here, and I tell you this for nothing. I was 18 at the time and fighting fit having just spent 18mths working in a shearing gang. no fat on me then just musle but no way in hell could I keep up with those fellas, man could they work they opened my eyes to real work ethic! Ive seen the flip side with overstayers in the central north island and are still not sure how I fell about drivers from overseas coming in to work alongside us for the busiest time of the year when our mates cant get a fulltime driving job "cause there is not enough work!" the dairy industry has grown soo much that MOST workers are now from overseas and the wages are a hell of alot better than they were 20 years ago when I tried pulling tits for a living having just left school.
sorry D this thread is going off track a bit!!

#20: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:01 pm
    ----
TRBLSHTR wrote:
If our joint governments are so stupid as to keep importing labor when we have people here that wish to work.

Well at least here that is one of our fundamental problems, people do not wish to work, there is a reason why manufacturing went away, and it was going that way long before off-shoring came about.

People in general, not quite the demographic on HuntingNut perhaps, but the majority, think working in the hot sun for long hours on a farm isn't a way to live. People think working on the factory floor is also not a good job, so you have skilled trades like machinists, going from a job everyone thought was a respectful blue collar worker, to a job people ask "whats that?", and you get people who do not want to work in construction and actually build things anymore.

My college offers programs and courses designed to teach people how to put up buildings, everyone instead jumps for the "construction management" program, without realizing that for every one on site manager you need a few dozen workers to actually get something done.

And this isn't anything new, Italians and Portuguese built Toronto, people did not want to spend their winters and summers outside doing physical labor to build buildings and homes, so they imported it. Now, its the same with the Italians getting out of the construction industry, so what do we do? We import people from other parts of the world that are still willing to slave away building the homes and business locations we need.

Or who wants to open a convenience store, and have to actually keep it open from around 7 in the morning till midnight or so just to make enough income to live in the apartment above the store location? I doubt many Canadians would, which is why the Koreans just about took over every store in the GTA 20+ years ago, now you see a ton of ME/NE people who run them because they are willing to waste their entire day to make a living. The concept of a 9 to 5 job does not exist in these immigrants so they gladly work the day away.

TRBLSHTR wrote:
BTW;don't tell me the world is not coming to an end until you have lived under a kenyan dictator for almost three years! Razz

Pray for the elections then. But at the moment I don't like the thought of who might be in power next. Shocked

Elvis wrote:
Ive seen the flip side with overstayers in the central north island.

Immigration isn't perfect, but to brand it as a whole as a negative, is well wrong. Sure some things could be done better, but really, cutting immigration isn't the problem, enforcing immigration laws is. Which really enforcing the law, isn't something that will effect most people's job security. Simply because the number of illegals who over stay their visa's is still over all relatively small compared to the numbers who are allowed to settle. Especially in Canada (quarter of a million immigrants per year in a country of 34 million).

Elvis wrote:
sorry D this thread is going off track a bit!!

I believe I still hold the title for making topics go off topic. Saying sorry to me is like saying sorry to the rain cause you already watered your garden. Laughing

Dimitri

#21: Re: Job ad that my college sent out. Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am
    ----
My point was not anti-immigration. Immigration has changed somewhat. Promoting or supporting immigration to lower wages and therefore living standards is a problem. Your original post was how ludicrous the advert was because no one could possibly apply who wasn't well experienced. It is also crazy to think that a young person in NA who has made the necessary investment in an education or training can economically compete for jobs with graduates from India or China whose investment is much less. Taking persons from one labour market into another creates inequities as the labour markets exist in different economies.

While I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article, it is worth a read.

ca.news.yahoo.com/blog...03638.html

-> Jokes & Humor