.256 Newton (finally)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 pm
    ----
getting real close to completing my .256 build and am looking for loads for viht540 powder

#2: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:17 pm
    ----
hasty pics

#3: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: jcruthisLocation: NW MO PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 pm
    ----
just curious ....wasnt that a .264(6.5mm) bullet in the 256 newton? sry i cant help with load data...err well let me look thru some junk i have and see ill get back to ya

#4: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: jcruthisLocation: NW MO PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 pm
    ----
if my little library of useless knowledge is correct you should be able to use 6.5-06 load data, but ive been wrong before someone smarter than i am should verify that....i aint real good at adding big numbers but i can lift real heavy stufff..lol

#5: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:59 pm
    ----
looks like volume is closer to 6.5-284 that is good too because that may be easier to find a viht540 load for

#6: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:35 pm
    ----
I can find plenty of data for the .256 Newton using Hodgdon or IMR powder, but none for Vihtavuori.
Don

#7: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 pm
    ----
As long as one takes the normal precautions of starting 5% low it looks like the charts agree as far as the 6.5-284\ .256 Newton comparison goes. I found Ken Waters pet loads for the .256 some of those powders are no longer around. Thanks Don, me too it looks like n540 might be too fast too bad I have @5# of the stuff left from .308 win match loads guess I'll have to get a .308 hunting gun. jcruthis yes the bullet or groove is .264" Mr. Newton was using the bore. (pre-grooved) dimension or land dia more common in describing english cartridges. Man those pictures from my phone came out itty bitty I'll have to dig out a digital camera.

#8: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
these have to be better, haven't quite decided grip cap\fore-end thing yet probably steel oval on grip and either a schnabel or if i screw that up saw it off and put some rosewood or ebony up there.

#9: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: jcruthisLocation: NW MO PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:11 pm
    ----
www.riflemagazine.com/...artial.pdf no vihtavouri load data here but theres some neat info ...i tried finding some data for ya and your right lots of IMR and hodgdon but thats it. i also learned i was wrong on the 6.5-06 comment. anyway id be curious to hear how this rifle shoots. all the looking around i did has me curious.

#10: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: jcruthisLocation: NW MO PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm
    ----
did you buy the stock or make it from scratch?...im working on one from a walnut tree i cut down for a 257 weatherby...slow going as i dont have proper tooling but i wanted to try it just to say i did...in about a year when im done with it ill post some pics of it either on the rifle or more likely in the wood burner

#11: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 am
    ----
fnuser, you have outdone yourself! Very nice!

#12: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:17 am
    ----
Jcruthis, I have gone that way too, but found several checks in the wood after completion and was afraid of the effects recoil would have on it. This is a Boyd's JRS that I have reshaped to my liking. some of the inletting was a little generous for me but better that then too tight and a split I suppose. My taste seems to mean rasping about 1/8" - 3/16" everywhere, removing the comb flutes, reshaping the cheekpiece, and puting little concave radii on the corners of the magwell, boltstop, and one behind the bolthandle for symmetry. also a subtle canoe shape under the ejection port seems to be in order as well as opening the grip.

#13: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 am
    ----
Very Nice.

#14: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:13 pm
    ----
I love the octagonal barrel! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished gun.

#15: Re: .256 Newton (finally) Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm
    ----
Hey FN Great Job!! Curious what bottom metal you're using. Looks like a Mauser action?

Suz

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions