What did you get yourself for Christmas?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 pm
    ----
No Bushbone.....we have a stop light set up in the kitchen. Red, yellow and green, but mostly the yellow is on, cause I love to make him guess. Why in the kitchen? Cause it gets hot in there, and I just tell my friends it's a baking timer. Wish I had a center island in there and a TV....not enough room to....well you should see his kitchen, it's huge. He has a big pantry too, nice an cool in there in the summer.

NO SPURS they're cruel. I have a new name for you.....toha kwewu

Figure that one out

Suz

#17: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:31 am
    ----
Suz, my hunting friend has something that matches your description: a white turkish sheperd dog Smile

and I love the way you can draw a picture just using a few words. But in my opinion, a standard center island is too high, it doesn't fit Jon's legs.

#18: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:47 am
    ----
Suz of the Tohono O'odham wrote:
...toha kwewu
Figure that one out Suz

The name White Wolf seems to come to mind Suz. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#19: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 am
    ----
Well I knew it was some kind of wolf, but the word (I believe Cherokee) "toha". Not sure.

"White Wolf"?? I could live with that.

#20: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am
    ----
Bushy, I think "toha" means wit or witty, so maybe "wit wolf" or "wiity wolf" or "wise wolf". Guess we will find out when Suz lets us know. Smile

#21: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 am
    ----
I think she meant "GREY'D CURMDGEON" Shocked

Laughing

That's an incredible score JoeB! Holy smokes! Very Happy

Seems others here got sidetracked with the "girly talk thang" again....again.

I'm picking up a new shotgun in a few hours- just came off 10day and it's getting baboomed tonight (again, they let me try it out...) Sucker has a nasty wallop with buck in the pipes...5.5#, 20" 20g SARPA, black on black, 200$...it's my new steel shot/chukar/rock gun so the Benelli stays mostly unscathed for quail usage. Nice stocking sutffer!

#22: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm
    ----
Well Stovey, I also took another shotgun out of my stock Smile
a cal 12 double over and under, a Valmet, made in Finland, with rather long shiny barrels. Let's see how she performs on these high doves. The weatherforcast doesn't give much wind and little wind means very high doves...

#23: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:05 pm
    ----
Aloy- that sounds mighty nice sir, mighty nice!

Shotguns are wonderful things.

Can you guys decoy to get them a little closer? Dove's can be wicked fun shooting if they are in range. Man are they fast. Out here I know a couple spots we can jump shoot some or gettum passing if we are lucky while kicking bushes, maybe 5-6 total if your shooting 90% or better. I dont do the DFG/AG plots shoots anymore since last year too many divots with shotguns and low muzzles! So- we find feed zones for the AM and canyon flyways for the PM and wow is itFUN.

#24: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:33 pm
    ----
Many years ago we could use living birds to attrack the other. That was fun and living in a country where light green goes together with red, hunters were no longer allowed to make such fun.
Then somebody invented the pigeon-mill (try pigeon-magnet in Google) and doves came closer again. They acted so stupid that some greedy hunters (or should I say "shooters"?) created new holocausts. So they took away our 'pigeon-magnet'. We're no longer allowed to use 'mechanical aid' and I don't know if they also put my glasses or my gun under this kind of help. I'm not so sure if they understand what it means when I start shooting without wearing my glasses... Smile
An now we make and buy all kinds of stuff to get these doves a little closer, some waving in the wind, others sitting in the trees or on the land. Now you have to learn how to put your decoys, even change them during the hunt, and the combination of the smartest guy and the best gun gives the best result.
Last Sunday we did some dovehunting in our group. The weather was bad, very little wind but we did our best. With 7 we managed to shoot 51 doves in about 4 hours time (2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon). It seems I need a good meal for dove-hunting, I shot 1 in the morning and added another 12 in the afternoon. I don't know if the doves should blame the meal or Vince's secret that makes one swing easier Smile

And as always I think about taking pictures when everything is already finished Smile Next time I'll ask my hunting friend Marijke to take some pictures, so I can blame her when we forget...
but I'll try to make some pictures of my decoys (so that I can remember next time how to place them. Let's hope that's no 'mechanical aid' Smile )

#25: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:29 pm
    ----
Copy that, ENJOY your hunt sir!

#26: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 pm
    ----
Girly talk...HHhhmmmm!!
Bushkick I meant coyote but don't know the language and yes toha is white like your hair.
I'll shut up now....there's boy talk goin on..

Suz

#27: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:45 am
    ----
Merry Christmas Suzanne, where ever you are, whatever yer wearin', shavin', whippin', shootin' etc. Laughing

Still loves ya. Razz

#28: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm
    ----
Very suggestive Stovie
Merry Mas to you too!

#29: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: 219ZipperLocation: Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:57 pm
    ----
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you...

I found myself a great heavy duty woodstove/fireplace with a blower on it and am 1/5th of the way done installing it. (ie: so far the floor is tiled and the stove is in place and the measuring for the expensive Dura Vent pipe is done)

I am reallly looking forward to a good hunting or fishing book and a nice cold January night and a fire roaring in the fireplace. Smile

Wishing you all a super Christmas and may the Gun and gift bearing elves shine brightly on your reloading bench!!

#30: Re: What did you get yourself for Christmas? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm
    ----
Bought my wife a can opener...One that WILL open any can from a tuna can to a #10 can. If you have been aboard ship and looked or worked in the galley you know what I got her.

a CAN OPENER!!!

-> General