.270 sierra game kings
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: .270 sierra game kings Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 pm
    ----
anyone here reload 130 grain sierra game kings for .270? I have a box and was thinking I would load them for my wife and her new rifle.

#2: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm
    ----
Game kings are great bullets...... I've used them a time or two !!! Shocked

I've personally never loaded for a .270 but have a few friends that have loaded that combination for years and have had nothing but good to say about it.

#3: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm
    ----
I have, great bullets for deer / antelope sized game. I like a heavier constructed bullet for Elk and other really large game.

-DallanC

#4: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:34 pm
    ----
Well, I tend to think less is better so I shoot a pea shooter most of the time. I really, really, really, really, disliked Gamekings in my .243 on 175 lb to 200 lb whitetail.

Their controlled expansion was way TOO controlled for my liking. I have to have a bullet that makes it through hide and ribs but then explodes into a million pieces Very Happy . The Gamekings could be located on the opposite side under the hide, still largely intact.

Having contradicted Dallan and Chambered, then I'll have to say they probably would work well in the higher order guns like yours. Just not my cup of tea in the pea shooter. Very Happy

Did I mention how much I disliked the Gamekings? Sorry if I didn't mention that. Very Happy

#5: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:37 pm
    ----
Oh, in case you're wondering what I use in the .243, it's Rem 80 gr HP Powerlokts, and Hornady 75 gr HP Varmint (their old varmint bullets, not the pointy kind). Laughing

#6: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm
    ----
tcknight wrote:
I really, really, really, really, disliked Gamekings in my .243
Did I mention how much I disliked the Gamekings?
The Gamekings could be located on the opposite side under the hide, still largely intact.

wtf Can't say I've ever heard a person complain about a bullet doing what it was designed to do !!!

I don't think it's a contradiction...... It's more of a difference in your method of madness. Very Happy

#7: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:51 pm
    ----
I had a similar experience with SGK in my .243. Barnes 110gr TTSX in the .270 Win is another one to consider.

#8: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 am
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
wtf Can't say I've ever heard a person complain about a bullet doing what it was designed to do !!!

There it is. Shocked It is not an accident that it does not do what I want, because it was designed that way. Hence, I really hate 'em.
Very Happy

#9: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am
    ----
I use 100grn Partitions in our .243's, I went to these after having too many "bomb" like results using lighter weight bullets.

-DallanC

#10: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:03 pm
    ----
Two friends of mine both worked up and use the 130 Sierra Game King in the .270 Win. So accurate they also used them for long range (groundhog) shooting. Neither knew the other was working up these loads and they both came up with the same thing, haha. They also use this load for deer. The load they use is 56.0 grs. of IMR 4350 with est. velocity of 3150 fps. I would work up gradually to this load as a precaution although their Rem's. and Savage's had no problems with it.

#11: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:49 pm
    ----
I can't say anything about the GameKing's terminal effects yet, but I can attest to its accuracy.
I'm consistently getting sub MOA 5 shot groups from them off a basic front rest/rear bag set up.
Load is 58gr of H4831sc, which gives me just under 3,000fps MV out of a 22" barrel.
I've had groups under 1" at 200yds with that.

#12: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 pm
    ----
I want to start by saying that any ammo that kills the intended target obviously is doing the job regardless of what the bullet does once it penetrates. I will be the first to admit that I for years used good ol Rem Corelokt ammo. I always bought it because it did the job and was the cheapest on the market. Anything I pointed the big seven at went down with the first shot. What higher praise can an ammo company have then that.

Two years ago I shot a deer standing broadside at 80 yards and it dropped like a ton of bricks. I was happy as hell givin it was the last day of deer season and it was the only legal buck I had seen all that season. I gutted the deer and loaded it up and went about hunting hoping to fill my doe tag that same day. Unfortunatly that was the only deer we saw that day. We took the buck home and hung it, skinned it and wrapped it. 3 days later we quartered the deer up and to my surprise I discovered that the rib cage and inside of the hind quarters was littered with lead powder. When originally skinning the deer we discovered that the back was broken. I found it odd because I shot the deer right behind the front shoulder right through what would have been the heart. Not really close enough to the spine to break its back. When quartering the deer up we had to do a lot of cleaning of meat to be sure there was no left over lead powder. I also found when taking the back strap off the deer that the copper jacket had come to rest in the back strap. Luckily it did not damage the meat. the copper jacket did not have any lead in it either. After thinking about it I remembered that the heart was not damaged and nothing else vital was damaged save the back bone. I was so excited over the ordeal when I gutted the deer I did not put 2 and 2 together.
If it had not been for the copper jacket making what I figure was about a 90 degree turn upward through the back bone I beleive that the deer would have run off and died a slow and miserable death. That day I decided it was time to get serious about what I was shooting in my guns.
I anm sure corelokt ammo has killed more deer than any other but I am through gambling with it. That is one of the major driving forces for me to start reloading my own ammo.
As for seirra game kings, I have a brand new box of bullets to load for my wifes .270 that was just givin to me and if they are as good as I have heard than thats probably be what she will be shooting.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good elk round for a .270?

#13: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:28 am
    ----
I have been loading the Sierra 130 gr Pro hunter spitzers for my friend and he loves those bullets. With the load I worked up for him, he can clover leaf his shots at 100yds consistently and he told me that all of his kills for deer, muleys and elk were one shot kills. All were pass through with good expansion and he said that he did not find any fragments inside the animals.
The recipe is Rem cases, Win large rifle primer, 52.2gr RE-22 pwoder, Sierra #1830 130gr spitzer.
OAL 3.300"/Ogive 2.785"

#14: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 pm
    ----
my experience is if it comes in a yellow box its got to be good. see if you can find some old 170 grn rn speers for up close. I dont use hornady in my .270 as I found them very accurate but quite hard. balistic tips worked fine for me but cost abit more. speer grandslams work very good my box of 150s are just about gone.

#15: Re: .270 sierra game kings Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm
    ----
I hunted elk with a Hornady 130gr GMX this year. The bullet was fully expanded by the time it passed through the near-side rib cage - the entry and exit wounds were the same size - about two inch diameter. Great penetration. I like the monolithic bullets. I'd also consider the Barnes 130gr TTSX and 140gr TSX. The GMX has been very accurate for me out to 500 yards.

-> Reloading Ammunition