away for a butchers.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:34 am
    ----
finaly have a day spare so Im taking my 10yr old son up for a wee walk to see if we cant find a deer that needs a freezer to hide in. Very Happy
Its been awhile since I last got the .270 out of the cabinet so I hope I remember which end Im supposed to poke at the venison. Its been a torturous week Sad as Ive been working right next to my favourite hunting block. Its hard to concentrate on driving when you just want to crane your neck out the window and gaze up them thar hills.

#2: Re: away for a butchers. Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:03 am
    ----
Look at the positive. You have a job where you can look out the window with a great view!

#3: Re: away for a butchers. Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:42 pm
    ----
Hope you and your son have an excellent time.

#4: Re: away for a butchers. Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:10 pm
    ----
Rub it in Elvis,
My dailey view of the world is a bit more manufactured

#5: Re: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:01 pm
    ----
well we got home safe. we saw alot of deer sign but didnt manage to find any animals, the young fella did good he put in a huge day we left car at 7am and got back at 3pm we sat down for 1hr tops the rest of the time we were stalking round quietly( well as quiet as a drunken elephant anyway). the only drama of the day was an attack of the dreaded wasps!! the young fella copped 3 or more stings in the hair and 1 on his cheek before he got away. I gave him a hug and a panadol and away we went again I think the hug was more needed than the panadol. I am proud of how well he did. we stopped for lunch on a good clearing(now marked in the GPS) and when we got out to the car it was 2km away straight down stream in mountain country.

#6: Re: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:02 am
    ----
8:00 and hes sound asleep Very Happy no arguements Very Happy and a happy lad. Smile

#7: Re: away for a butchers. Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 am
    ----
It sounds like a very successful hunt to me, you all found a bunch of fond memories... well, except for the wasps. ;-)

#8: Re: away for a butchers. Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 am
    ----
Yep, sounds like a good day out to me too! My favorite hunt ever was the time my daughter went with me. We saw some game but never fired a shot.

#9: Re: away for a butchers. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:58 pm
    ----
coyotehunter_1 wrote:
It sounds like a very successful hunt to me, you all found a bunch of fond memories... well, except for the wasps. ;-)

Can't agree more Chet...a magnificent day. Some of the best days I've had out hunting are when I've never fired a shot...just being out there, collecting info on movements etc, sucking in that good bush air and taking in the views are hours well spent.

Elvis...put a small container/bottle of Stingose or something similar in your kit, nothing worse than a wasp sting (other than maybe an angry hornet)...the sting can last for hours. Give the young fella a pat on the back from us mate...that's a tough day for a 10 yr old, but one he will not forget.

Cheers, Vince

#10: Re: away for a butchers. Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:38 pm
    ----
By the way, I started carrying a Sawyer "Extractor" kit when I realized that I was allergic to yellow jacket stings. I've used it several times on me and others and it works. I feel like it saved me a trip to the Emergency Room at least once.

www.sawyer.com/B6B.htm

#11: Re: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 am
    ----
I carry prednazone pills which are a steroid as I tend to swell up with wasps as Ive been nuked by the little huas too plurry often. the weird thing is bees dont seem to affect me the same. I got stung on the arm 3 weeks ago a little swelling but not much and then last tuesday I got another bee sting this time on my throat my wife drove out to where I was working with the prednazone and no dramas at all. the wee man seems to be lucky as there is no big swelling or adverse reaction, long may it last. thanks for your suggestions .

#12: Re: away for a butchers. Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 am
    ----
Elvis, what evill have you been doing to nature as nature seems to attack you so violently?

#13: Re: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 pm
    ----
who me Shocked ???? Im inocent!!! seriously though the wasps in the area we hunt are Mad baaaaad Mad news to the extent that I hardly hunt during the summer months because they are so active Sad . you dont have to be right on their hole/nest enterance to get stung you can be a meter or so away but standing in their flight path through the ferns and they will start stinging your legs. I wear long pants and gaiters which helps alot but still end up doing the haka/makarainer The Wave when they take to me. Im told it looks quite funny a grown man bolting through the ferns leaping about slapping his legs furiously.... ROFL

#14: Re: away for a butchers. Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 pm
    ----
I am a very sentimental guy so any time with the kids is time well spent. My daughter is 10 and will be joining me this year during deer season for the first time as a full fledged hunter. I registered her in our mentor program so she has an option to shoot a deer. I was hoping to have a doe tag this year for her to fill but it did not work out that way. Non the less its great you and your boy had a good time. That boy of yours will look back on those days and remember them fondly I am sure. I am looking forward to being able to take my boy out some day.

#15: Re: away for a butchers. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 pm
    ----
good on ya tlo7mm I hope all goes well for you. give your daughter a good waterproof camera to take along instead. that way she will have a job to do and memories to look back on.you will get a tag for her sooner or later Im sure.

-> Big Game Hunting