Glocks & Springfield XDs
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:30 pm
    ----
Stopped by Cabela's last night to take a look at the new Glock Gen 4s. I had not really handled them or seen them up close. I'm been considering getting another pistol but before I did, want to check them out. I had seen one of the early GEN 4s but the new texture wasn't my cup of tea. The lastest GEN 4s have the RTF which is not as aggressive as the original. I was surprised that I liked it, plus I really liked the new mag release.

I also asked to see some XDs because they had some sights on them I was interested in. For as much as the XD is Springfields answer to the Glock, wow, was the feel of that gun different. The trigger reach was much, much shorter than I was used to on the Glock. For me it was uncomfortably short. It also felt like the slide was more difficult to rack and the slide release was harder to activate. Guess I have shot a Glocks for too long.

Now I just need to deside on the Glock 34 (9mm) or Glock 35 (.40). I have a Glock 24 (.40 long-slide w/ a 6" barrel) so I'm leaning toward the 34.

#2: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm
    ----
Them XD'm's are realy sweet. Not too psyced about the old ones- although they are fully capable. Just a personal thing.

I'm getting a Glock G30 for my next HG. Period. I still dont have one! I've never seen a HG so innovative, intuitive and simple. A total firearms mold breaker. They started the whole poly pistol thingy...at least in my opinion. Next to the 1911 it's the most significant pistol ever, in my book.

#3: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 pm
    ----
31, 32, or 33?

#4: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm
    ----
I have a 22, 27, 35, 20 Glocks. All are very acurate and reliable as all get out. You will love your Glock 30.

#5: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
I'm getting a Glock G30 for my next HG.

stovey, I'm not a fan of Glock sights. The standard U-rear, dot-front is hard for me to control vertically. I was getting a lot of y-axis dispersion until I switched to a 3-dot. For a carry gun, I always install night sights. The 3-dot Glock night sights have a thicker front blade than others. I find on the short barreled Glocks, like the 30, they are too wide and I can't see light on the sides when looking through the rear sight. Because of this, I get the stock Glock U-dot sights (plastic), then install after-market 3-dot night sights.

#6: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 am
    ----
I took a micrometer to my sights. The width of the night sights are
_______________________(aftermarket)
_________Glock MH3 _ Trijicon __ MMC PT (no longer avail)
Front Post __ 0.160" ___ 0.150" __ 0.145"
Rear Notch __ 0.135" ___ 0.145" __ 0.127"

I think it is key to have some separation or light gap between the sides of the front post and rear notch. You can see the Trijicon has .020 more opening than the Glock MH3.

These sights are many years old and the Glock factory (a bit newer) glow better in the dark than the Trijicon.

#7: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 pm
    ----
Im not a fan of any open sight now that im getting older and cant see them. So my G20 has a Burris Fast FireII installed on it and Im very pleased with it, Its held up to over 1500 rounds of full house 10mm loads. SO, Im gonna save and put one on my G35 for steel/pin shooting.

#8: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:29 pm
    ----
Crackshot wrote:
Im gonna save and put one on my G35 for steel/pin shooting.

That would be a slick running machine - hard to miss with! I have a red-dot on my .22 Browning Buckmark Bulleyes Target - its a death dot!

#9: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 am
    ----
Had a cheap BSA red dot on my Desert eagle, after about 30 rounds of 50ae the rear lens fell out on the ground! Sad So when BSA replaced it for free, I installed it on my Ruger MKIII 22. Works great for that!

#10: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 am
    ----
I agree w/ slim. I like a large light bar's for close-up. Aint bullzeye-accuarate but...sure works for me. Love my glow-worm Novak's- makes it easy to find the gun in the dark. Gona try some of them express ball-n-cup types here soon enough. 2 other's I know usin' 1911's switched over to them. I took a peek, looks good to go. I hope I dont like them. New sights aint cheap.

And- FN, I really wanna G18, but, the fruitcakes here wont' let me have one. Ya see, it's like this- you can buy pot and murder-death-kill video games for your kids here on almost any corner, but, not an Edison's light bulb, or carry a firearm for protection against criminals that have all the rights and live off your taxes.

#11: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm
    ----
I'm a sucka for the .357 sig

#12: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Gona try some of them express ball-n-cup types here soon enough. ... I hope I dont like them. New sights aint cheap.

I'm in the market for new sights. I may have to try them.

xssights.com/index.php...ID=handgun

I've been considering all black because my comp barrel coat the front sight with powder residue.

www.dawsonprecision.co...1212765034

Then for my new Glock, I was going to consider some fiber-optic sights.

www.truglosights.com/I...TEM_SUBMIT

#13: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 am
    ----
Neat!

No fiber-op sights fer me. Never liked them on anything I tried. Plus, aint that robust in my opinion.

#14: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am
    ----
Stovepipe, Had a set of Meprolight adjustable night sights on my Glock 20 before the Burris FF II. they were realy nice and made low light hunting alot easyer. And they held up very well.
And a update, Im going to install a Lone Wolf Long Slide kit on my Glock as well.

#15: Re: Glocks & Springfield XDs Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 am
    ----
Gotcha- not all are bad. Some that are shrouded or if yer in a blind/cover dont pop was my main complaint. Either or. Just cuz something dont work for me dont make it bad.

Spice and all that...

Grats on the "extention"!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions