Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!???
-> General

#1: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:53 pm
    ----
Come on lets hear it... some of you guys seem crazy enough to take part in this fun and festive means of cooking Thanksgiving turkey! I got mine defrosted last night and mixed up the ole Marinade. Gave it a good round of injections last night, wife will do 2nd pass this morning and I'll give it another one tonight followed by 1 more thursday morning.

YUM YUM YUM... fried turkey is just plain awsome. Who else does it this way?

-DallanC

#2: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:11 pm
    ----
Howdy Dallan. I haven't tried turkey deep fried yet but i hear it's awsome. Me and my daughter will go spend turkey day with my mom so i'll let her do the cookin Very Happy
Joe

#3: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:28 pm
    ----
Looks like a traditional turkey day dinner is in store around my house. Hope all of you good folks have a wonderful and safe Holiday. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:19 am
    ----
I tried to convine my wife to let us fry one again this year. But the inlaws are in town, my mother inlaw is convinced we are trying to kill her if we fry a turkey.

"All that fat and everything, what are you trying to do kill us" !

I didn't say a thing.

I will add, it is a darn good way to cook pheasants too.

Happy Thanksgiving guys

all the best to you and yours.

longwalker

#5: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:37 am
    ----
Very Happy
I wouldn't eat it any other way!! I deep fried two turkey breasts last night and two 12 lb. whole birds. Man were they good. I marinated/injected the two breasts with a secret (OK, it was Clarks "Grilling Sauce"), rubbed them down with corn oil and covered them with seasoning salt. Deep fried for 3.5 minutes per lb. in 350-375 degree peanut oil.
We had a group of neighbors over for drinks, snacks and chatting around the firepit on the patio. When I started cutting slices off the breasts, the frenzy began!! It was like rollling a bottle of wine through a jail cell!! LOL
A few people had never had it cooked that way before. They were amazed! I might get two more breasts and fire it up one more time before the weekend is out.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Yotebuster

#6: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:28 am
    ----
I went over to a buddies last night to watch the UFC fights on pay per view and he deep fried a turkey. This was my first time trying it deep fried, My god thats good eatin Shocked . I got to get a setup for it. Does anybody no if you could cook roasts like this. With no skin on a roast i dont no how it would be. I do no I'm gettin a set up for doing turkey it's awsome Very Happy
Joe

#7: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:41 am
    ----
Shrpshtrjoe, You can cook literally anything in that deep fryer. Roasts would be awesome as well. May I make a suggestion. Look for the pot that is smaller in diameter than usual. I've got one that measures 12" ID x 27" tall and comes with a basket with bail handle, lid and a long thermometer. The smaller diameter works perfectly for large turkeys and you'll use significantly less peanut or canola oil. The oil is your biggest expense, about 30 bucks for 5 gallons of peanut oil. Here's an easy way to determine how much oil to put into the pot for cooking your bird. Put the bird into the basket or on the skewer holder and put it in the pot. Pour water into the pot until the bird is completely covered, plus maybe an inch. Measure or somehow mark where that level is, take the bird out and pour out the water. Then simply fill with oil to that mark and begin to preheat the oil to 375 degrees. I try to hold that temp but you will cool the oil when first putting in the meat. Adjust your heat output accordingly, up at first and back off some later in the cooking process. Try to maintain somewhere between 350-375 degrees.
CAUTION: Lower the bird in gently, pausing as the hot oil will surge and boil vigorously when the moist meat makes contact. I highly recommend a long 12-18" hook and heavy gloves on when doing this. Hot oil and steam will make you say nasty things that your neighbors might not enjoy.
Also, make sure that your bird is completely thawed. I even heat up my marinade injection sauce in a pyrex measuring cup before injecting it deep into the breast. Have a meat thermometer to check the center of the breast for correct temperature after you pull it out of the cooker. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy "rare fowl". Been there, done that.
Bon Appetite!
Yotebuster

#8: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:15 am
    ----
Quote::
I'm gettin a set up for doing turkey

Hey, ol' buddy.... careful.... don't burn yourself! Shocked Laughing

Seriously watch out where you place that cooker and use the correct type of oil.... serious fire danger. Sad

FWIW< Makes a great cooker for the ol' moonshine still! Shocked Just don't set the woods on fire! Laughing

BTW< Great post, yotebuster! Smile

#9: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:37 pm
    ----
Old string resurrected...Thanksgiving and Christmas is over guys...

Deep fat frying chickens, turkeys and other foul is an old Mexican trick. In as much as I ride (horses) with several friends who's parents came from Mexico I get to enjoy this tasty treat of DFF turkey when we partake of turkey day goodies in horse camp.

And you're right...That turkey is very suculent done that way. And you are right about the pot being a good start to a shine producer. All you need is a lid and some copper tubing...Like you people didn't know.......

#10: Re: Whos doing some DEEP FRIED TURKEY!??? Author: yotebusterLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 pm
    ----
Heck.....I don't wait for the Holidays to fry em. I do it all through the year. Cinco de Mayo, July 4th, my Birthday or just whenever I get the notion. So fire it up ShrpShtrJoe........and let us know how your first bird turns out!
Yotebuster

-> General