New Toy Baptized
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: New Toy Baptized Author: flyinlizard PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:40 pm
    ----
First one with the Striker. Not a long shot at 132 yds. with a .308win. and sierra 165 GK. Working up some 110gr loads.

#2: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm
    ----
flyinlizard... Welcome to Hunting Nut!!!

Nice hand cannon ya' got there Cool but I don't believe that groundhog thinks much of it. Shocked

#3: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:06 pm
    ----
Flyin, welcome and nice shot! What scope are you using?

#4: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: flyinlizard PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm
    ----
The one in the pic is a 2x leupold eer, but I have since put a 4 x 12 x 40 rifle scope on it as a test subject to see if I can get use to shooting with minimum eye relief, after 100 rounds so far so good, and I'm out to 200yds.. 2x is just not enough for anything woodchuck size much over 100 yds.
Coyote, he laughed at it till I squeezed the trigger,, and the yotes around here won't like it either come fall when the season opens back up..

#5: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 pm
    ----
Can't remember the brand but shot one similar to that in a .308.........what a blast !!!

Welcome to Hunting Nut !!! Howdy

#6: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 pm
    ----
flyinliz, thats definitely a mighty fine looking gun.

Tell us more, give us more photos .. Yeah!

Oh, and yeah, welcome, after showing us that photo, you can now go to Vince's fridge and pick yourself a beer.

#7: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 am
    ----
Wave I'm over this side Liz...grab a stump to park ya butt on when ya gits here mate.

That is a nice looking hand cannon mate.

Damn I miss my TC Contender.

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: flyinlizard PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 am
    ----
Ok, Gun Stats: It is a straight factory Savage striker 516 in .308win, barrel length is approx.14 inches including the muzzle brake, right port left bolt action with a center grip stock, thats what makes it look "cool". At present I am working on a couple loads for it , one using sierra 110 varminter bullets and another with 150 BTSP gamekings. Have found a load for each that groups around 1/2 to just under an inch at 100yds so now I'm tweaking the seating depth to see if things tighten up a bit more. I added the bi-pod which along with the brake really tames the recoil and allows the use of a rifle scope, just need to make sure you draw your head back before you touch off,takes a bit of getting use to but the optics in a similarly priced rifle scope are so much better and the leoupold pistol scope or any pistol scope for that matter. Also the amount of elev. and windage adjustment is very limited in a pistol scope. If you way good info on specialty pistols go to www.specialitypistols.com lots of good stuff and great people.

#9: Re: New Toy Baptized Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:43 am
    ----
Just lookin around and found this article HERE. I couldn't get the Fly's link to work but found THIS Maybe it's the same.

Suz

-> Varmint Hunting