Makin a tuna run
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Makin a tuna run Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 pm
    ----
I went to the coast for the day with Jon, he wanted to check out a charter for tuna fishing. Nothing doin in town. If we wanted a charter we'd have to go elsewhere. So we decided to buy some tuna. I know it sounds lazy but.......I got some great photos!

[img][/img] This is the commercial fishing boat that supplies the tuna

[img][/img] Some guys from the boat cleaning tuna

[img][/img] Tuna at the gallows

[img][/img] Tuna and salmon on ice

The tuna seemed smaller than the salmon, but they weigh about the same. When you watch them filet the tuna you see why, those little footballs are all meat. The salmon was $10/lb, I don't remember what the tuna cost but we got some to take home to the BBQ. Got home late so we'll try it out tomorrow. Tonight we had some smoked salmon and smoked rock fish, very delish! Had a wonderful birthday, nothing strenuous just spent the day at the coast and enjoyed the beautiful scenery, weather, sights and sounds.

Suz

#2: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 pm
    ----
Definitely not the big giants in on the Eastern Pacific Rim but great for the Barbie!! Wait a minute (WAM), Maguro and Sake, you don't need to grill it, just slice and enjoy some sushi!!

#3: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 pm
    ----
BTW, glad you had a great BD!

The secret to always looking young?

Always hang out with folks older than you!

#4: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 pm
    ----
I'm glad you had a great weekend Suz. I am rather partial to a bit of tuna or albacore...not a lover of salmon though...doesn't really do anything for me.

Did you book a fishing trip while there? That is about the only way we can get on one here...they are usually well booked in advance.

How do you bbq the tuna mate...cut it into steaks or grill fillets? I much prefer "blood" fish cut into steaks and cooked on the grill that way.

Cheers, Vince

#5: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 pm
    ----
Slimmmmy no just only use older photos (works fer me)

Yeah some of them that we saw were in the 25lb range but nothing any bigger. One guy pulled in a 175lb halibut, bet that was a chore. Oh and this guy cleaning a bucket of crabs, I forgot to add. I've never tried sushi, just the cooked kind of sushi, don't know if I could stomach the raw stuff. I can eat raw beef, raw venison and I've had marinated octopus but it's the texture more than the taste that gets me queeeeezy.

Suz

#6: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:00 am
    ----
Tuna, Salmon, and Yellowtail, they just melt in your mouth!! Got to get some sushi tonight, especially a Salmon Lover's Roll!!

#7: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 am
    ----
Apart from the quakes and the floods I live in a place to die for, 15 minutes to the deer if i'm lucky!, but we aren't called the Bay of Plenty for nothing - hopefully this summer i will be into the Tuna either Albacore of Skipjack , but if I play my cards right we do get Yellow Fin and Marlin within 10 km of the shore. If I do Suz Im sure I will let you all know.
(I gotta get some photos to show off where I live)

#8: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:22 am
    ----
Yeah Vince, we just had some BBQed, we tried a sweet soy sauce marinade that is out of this world. I'll have to take of photo of the bottle, it's made in Indonesia. I think the company name is Kecap Manis and the stuff is called simply, ABC. It's like teriaki with a slight salty sweetness like molasses. Might go good with rum on ice cream....Hhhmmm....anyway we cooked it sort of medium rare, and buttered up some scallops with a batch of freshly pulled potatoes and string beans. A very yummmmmy meal.

Suz

#9: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 am
    ----
O K O K!! Enough on the fresh tuna, salmon and scallops. Is that dark Jamacian rum on that vanilla icecream? Damn Girl!!!

Happy birthday to ya. Be careful...Yer catchin' up with me.

#10: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:28 pm
    ----
Bushy Bushity Bushy MMMMmmm ok dark Jamacian rum with vinilla ice cream and chocolate cake! The cake absorbs the sauce so you have to be careful when you're over-doing it. That does sound good....squish some of the melted ice cream into the rummy chocolate cake and take a spoon full...MMMmmmm yeah

freshly baked
Suz

#11: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 pm
    ----
Suz. The best rum cake is of my own making and it's easy. Make that dreaded fruit cake. Pour a little dark or Navy rum over it and let it soak to the bottom and turn it over. Let it set for a day or two and turn it over and serve with hot fresh coffee.

#12: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am
    ----
That'd be good for breakfast! MMmm let it soak to the bottom then turn me over....

soakin
Suz

#13: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 am
    ----
Don't think I want to go there.

#14: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:00 am
    ----
Tune- best sporting fish ever....they don't give up!

Sashimi is one fish I can pallete, sushi too esp if hauled in slowly then brain-spiked.

Cool pics!

#15: Re: Makin a tuna run Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:12 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Tune- best sporting fish ever....they don't give up!

Sashimi is one fish I can pallete, sushi too esp if hauled in slowly then brain-spiked.

Cool pics!

One good stab to the heart, and a slash across the main artery just ahead of the tail and they will bleed out very nicely - leaving you with the best quality sashimi ever. YUM !!!

-> General