Just wanted to say Hello
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Just wanted to say Hello Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:07 pm
    ----
Hello,
I'm new to the site and I have to thank you all for the informative, and entertaining posts I've read so far. I think I'm gonna like it here! I love Hunting, Shooting, and the outdoors. I live in N.Y.... Long Island to be exact, so I don't get out to hunt as much as I would like, (like every day!) but I live for every hour in the woods. Anyway, Thanks for being here, and helping to carry on the tradition.

Best Regards

CB

#2: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 pm
    ----
Welcome. Anybody with a Duke avatar is cool with me.

#3: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:19 pm
    ----
Gday mate, and welcome of course!

Never been to New York, but got a few clients from there.
Like you, I also live for the little time I could get away in the woods Very Happy

#4: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:42 pm
    ----
Hi Cbsweeney! Nice hat! I see you have your shootin patch on too. We usually share the bottle round the stump, but go ahead and enjoy yourself with the bottle, you'll get to the point of no return soon, and we can take advantage then. Good to see you here!

Suz

#5: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:47 pm
    ----
Hey there,

I was on Long Island Nov Last year and was struck by how many deer I saw close to houses etc. Went all the way to Montauk Light House on the night they lit it up. Took a short (10 Min) walk in a reserve that allowed bow hunting only. Nice area. Plenty of sign even close to the main road, would interesting going for real looksee.

Enjoy the site.

Radar

#6: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:32 pm
    ----
Thank you all for the welcome!
The bow hunting on the east end of Long Island was always pretty good. You find some real interesting racks on the bigger bucks. And you're right, finding deer in the back yard is a fairly common thing.The only issue is, a lot of people trying to hunt in a relatively small area. But worth the extra effort.

Best Regards,
CB

#7: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:56 pm
    ----
Welcome

#8: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm
    ----
Thanks for joining us! Do you spend much time in the Catskills?

#9: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:35 pm
    ----
Welcome aboard CBSweeney. As the others have said, grab a beer and pull up a stump...plenty of room around the fire mate.

Not a bad spot, your end of the woods. Never been there, but have a mate who lives up there, name of Vito, and hunts the area regularly. He has invited me up to join him, would love to one day.

Cheers, Vince

#10: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 pm
    ----
Welcome CB!

#11: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 am
    ----
Aah...A new view point. Welcome...

#12: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: cbsweeneyLocation: New York PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:36 am
    ----
Slimjim,I do most of my hunting in the Catskills. My brother-in-law has 250 acres south west of Albany. Plenty of deer, turkeys, small game.
Donut Slayer, I have a Winchester model 70 in .300wsm too. Mine shoots 1 1/4" groups. Have you done any work to yours to get to shoot so well?I was thinking of bedding mine, and getting a trigger job to see what that does.

Best Regards,
CB

#13: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 am
    ----
cbsweeney wrote:
Slimjim,I do most of my hunting in the Catskills. My brother-in-law has 250 acres south west of Albany. Plenty of deer, turkeys, small game.
Donut Slayer, I have a Winchester model 70 in .300wsm too. Mine shoots 1 1/4" groups. Have you done any work to yours to get to shoot so well?I was thinking of bedding mine, and getting a trigger job to see what that does.

Best Regards,
CB
Done a little of work to mine. First thing was to replace the stock. Put a hogue pillar bedded one, then bedded the rest with marine tex and free floated the barrel. The stock trigger left a lot to be desired so I broke out the hard arkansas stone and went to work. Dropped the creep and weight down to 3#. If I had to do that again, I'd just get a rifle basix trigger. The factory trigger has just a awful amount of creep to it, and I got 95% of it out, but it still has just a tad. Get an aftermarket trigger. Mine has a very short throat to it so be carefull if ya reload. My last groups were just around 1/4" with 180 gr sierra's. Mine dosent like 150's at all. The only one it will shoot is the partitions. Good luck with it. If ya have any questions, just PM me. Rudy.

#14: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:58 am
    ----
cbsweeney wrote:
Slimjim,I do most of my hunting in the Catskills. My brother-in-law has 250 acres south west of Albany.

I grew up in Schenectady. My Grandfather had a farm in Walton where, when I wasn't doing chores, would hunt squirrels and rabbits. That Catskills are beautiful, especially in the Fall.

#15: Re: Just wanted to say Hello Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm
    ----
Welcome from the West Coast Mr. Cogburn!

-> General