My new best friend
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:25 am
    ----
No I can't afford beans-n-rice for dinner but.....I've always wanted one of these and so I got one. I think a nice Swiss K-31 in a modern stock would be peaches! (with cream) It just looks so darn retro 50's to me, sort of art-deco, ya know?

[img][/img]

Now if I can find some ammo
Suz

#2: Re: My new best friend Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 pm
    ----
I was expecting a picture of Bushy's new friend.........thought maybe ya all did some horse trading !!!

Looks good let us know how it shoots when you find some ammo.....hopefully you find some !!!

#3: Re: My new best friend Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:46 pm
    ----
Suz, a very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing. It inspired me to learn more so I looked at Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K31

This was interesting "Many collectors of the K31 have removed the butt plate and recovered a small slip of plasticized paper from beneath it. This slip contains the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom the rifle was issued. In some cases, collectors have used the information to contact the previous owners, and have recounted the details of those encounters on a variety of collector's web forums."

#4: Re: My new best friend Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 pm
    ----
Here Suz, shop away!
www.midwayusa.com/brow...3***690***

www.cabelas.com/cabela....jsp.form1

www.sportsmansguide.co...=985&stk=1

There are more places but in a hurry, bye.

#5: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    ----
Thanks guys! I'm going to a gun show for collectors this weekend, hoping to find some ammo locally. I actually got a box of Hornady, 20rnds for $25. I did that in case I can't find anything for less at the gun show. Also want a scope mount (to relieve my tired eyes). What I've found is pretty expensive.....oh everything is. I had all of 73hrs on my last pay check.....

Oh SlimmyJimmy no troop tag under my butt...plate. The metal is so wonderfully new-ish looking though, it makes up for the dented wood and all. I'm an anti-purist collector and want to make something out of this.

U loose U
Suz

#6: Re: My new best friend Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:07 pm
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
The metal is so wonderfully new-ish looking though, it makes up for the dented wood and all.

I reduced and eliminated some of the dents in the original rolling block stock by using a wet paper towel layed over the stock and then moving the flat tip of my soldering iron over the dent. The steam helps return the wood back to its original position. I was able to sand and refinish the stock after that.

#7: Re: My new best friend Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:12 pm
    ----
Now we're talking! I found a scout scope mount for the K-31 for a reasonable price but I'll have to relocate the dealer for you.

#8: Re: My new best friend Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:29 am
    ----
Suzanne,
Good catch. I have seen 7.5 Swiss ammo advertised at Graf & Sons. For years, I made 7.5 Swiss cases by running .284 Winchester brass through a 7.5 resizing die and trimming it.

I have Schmidt-Rubin 1911 rifles and carbines and 1931 carbines. Several of them had small pieces of white plastic under the buttplates with the name, address and unit of the prior owners written in pencil. Take care...
Joe

#9: Re: My new best friend Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:40 am
    ----
In all the hype to have the latest and greatest or the biggest and "best" firearms it's always nice to take a step back and work with some of the ones that got us here to begin with!

Good catch and hope you have a lot of fun with your new best friend!

#10: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:18 am
    ----
JoeBo! is it that easy? Heck the price of brass for 7.5 is about a buck a piece some places. Norma brass is more than that. Well I bet .284 is hard to find. Wonder if there's some other 7mm I could use. HHhmmm Maybe I should post in the reloading forum...thanks Joe

Suz

#11: Re: My new best friend Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:05 am
    ----
Suzanne,
It is that easy to reform .284 Winchester brass into 7.5X55mm cases. If I can do it, anyone can. Take care...
Joe

#12: Re: My new best friend Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm
    ----
Not a fan of iron sights myself, I still didn't have much trouble sighting my K-31 (even with my old eyes and outdated glasses). I think once you've shot your rifle a few times, you just may keep this for your "rainy day" rifle.
I hope you enjoy shooting yours as much as I like mine, Suz. I even went out and bought a second one for my son in law. Best buy today in a deer rifle, IMHO.

#13: Re: My new best friend Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 pm
    ----
Ok, now you have me curious about this rifle and maybe getting one. What's a good price for one of these jewels?

Does Bushy have one?

#14: Re: My new best friend Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 pm
    ----
SlimJ!! I know that Pumkin has one. I paid $245 postage included from Allan's Armory I know you can find them for less at FGS Firearms they have two grades starting at $159. I went out and shot it a bit today. I had to shoot off-hand sittin on my butt and placed a target about 50yds. My eyes can't focus well enough for iron sites but I was able to hit the target (surprised me). I need to scope it. Doesn't kick bad at all even with the steel butt plate. I've heard so many people complain about the recoil, they had me goin. It's not as unfriendly as the 30-06 or 8mm. The trigger pull is so light it's scary. Must be about 2-3 lbs or so. With a scope on it it'll be sweet to shoot. Where's that money tree when you need it?!? Oh and if you go to FGS, look for the photo with no price on it, or it says $00.00 and then click on the photo. Otherwise all you can see are some very expensive ones. I've dealt with Allan's before and he's a really great guy to deal with.

I bought some reloading dies and some brass today on line.

Saleshoe
Suz

#15: Re: My new best friend Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:57 am
    ----
Very interesting! Thanks for the extra information. Looking forward to seeing how you do the scope.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions