Long rifle barrel break in....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:23 pm
    ----
Read a lot of different schools of thought on this.

What's your favorite technique, if any?

#2: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:23 pm
    ----
I just shoot um Very Happy

#3: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:38 pm
    ----
If I run a tight patch down a new barrel and feel some drag around the throat I may hit it lightly with some JB paste.

Other than that I just shoot, clean when I am done, repeat.

I shoot Service rifle XTC so putting 100 rounds down a barrel between cleanings is not a big deal to me.

I have seen alot more barrels shoot poorly because of a messed up crown by improper cleaning than not being broken in.

#4: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:10 pm
    ----
After doing a lot of reading and talking on the subject I've come to conclusion it depends on the barrel !!!

Factory guns generally have barrels that are slapped on without regard to the condition of the bore after the rifling process. Some companies have lapping machines but their concern is to get rid of the rough tooling marks not a full polishing.
These barrels are prime candidates to have some sort of break-in procedure to help alleviate the excessive fouling that is going to take place.

The premium aftermarket barrel suppliers take great pride in their finished work. These barrels are usually hand lapped to a very smooth finish. Doing a break-in procedure to these barrels generally does nothing but put wear on it needlessly.

The thing I find odd is nobody seems to be concerned about the throat !!! Dawg.....your one of only a few !!!
When the barrel is being chambered the tooling marks that are left behind are going against the path of the bullet (unlike the bore that goes with it) creating a cutting edge. A definite place for fouling to accumulate if not corrected.
IMO this should have more attention given to it than the bore and the one shot and clean method really helps here.

Should anyone ever get the chance to compare factory bores to premium bores through a bore scope don't pass it up. You'll be amazed at what you see !!! Shocked

#5: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: toddco PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:11 pm
    ----
Lilja has a good article on his website about barrell break in. Basically he says that a barrell is ready to shoot when you get it. All you really need to do is clean it well before you ever shoot it. Then never get it real hot and keep it clean.

#6: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm
    ----
A new factory rifle: I clean very thorough before shooting and then take it to the range and shoot 10 - 20 rounds sometimes more and clean, then shoot until I am finished at the range (could be 10 - 100 rounds or more, usually working at a new load at the same time) and clean. In other words, I have no real hard fast rule as in break in other than the first initial cleaning and cleaning every time I am done at the range.

#7: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
In an AR Chrome lined barrel, I did not do a specific break-in. In a stainless or steel factory barrel, I break it in one shot at a time. Clean between shots with a copper solvent. I do this for the first 10 shots, then shoot 2 and clean, then 3 and clean, then 5 and clean. If the copper fouling remains minimal, I start going longer between cleanings, e.g., 10 or 20 shots then clean with copper solvent. I believe this process helps reduce high-spots or othe imperfections in your barrel. My barrel now shows very little copper fouling and can shoot 30 to 50 at a time between cleaning. Its also the most accurate rifle I've owned. I realize its accuracy may be due to other factors besides barrel break-in but I believe it is a contributor.

#8: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:30 am
    ----
Interesting stuff! Everything here so far is exactly what I've read. Esp about the burrs and stuff on production barrel's.

I'm thinking teardown and clean the WHOLE gun and swab tube before first shot to remove factory fouling, swab after after each shot for the first few then carry on not getting it hot or cooking fouling in. There's not a lot I can do on the bench other than excersise due diligence. It's gonna work or not, that's where the factory warty comes in. If they goofed the throat/chamber up so badly it fouls every few shots then it goes back and I'm getting something else.
Screw that. I wanna shoot, not clean.

I've never seen break-in info in any modern sporting rifes OM's of late either, not that I've seen them all, but those I have have nothing about break-in in them.

#9: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:13 pm
    ----
Savage does discuss break-in.

savagearms.com

Comments from Krieger.

kriegerbarrels.com

As to other sites

larrywillis.com

eabco.com

I use Bore Tech as it removes copper without harming the barrel even if left in overnight. Its effective enough to remove the copper from a shot in 15 or so minutes.

Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaning Solvent

breaking-in a barrel makes for a relaxing day at the range.

#10: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:53 pm
    ----
I know this has been posted before but I couldn't resist a re-run !!! ROFL

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg Werd Yuck

#11: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 pm
    ----
Out of habit and training of near to 50 years ago I still shoot one round. Run a dry patch and shoot a second round. Run a dry ....For 10 rounds. Then shoot 5 rounds, run a dry patch for 20 rounds and go home and clean it and treat it normaly from then on... It's either a shooter or a crowbar from that time on...

#12: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:13 pm
    ----
chambered221 wrote:
I know this has been posted before but I couldn't resist a re-run !!! ROFL

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg Werd Yuck

ROFL Thats one way to do it Laughing

#13: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:51 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Out of habit and training of near to 50 years ago I still shoot one round. Run a dry patch and shoot a second round. Run a dry ....For 10 rounds. Then shoot 5 rounds, run a dry patch for 20 rounds and go home and clean it and treat it normaly from then on... It's either a shooter or a crowbar from that time on...

I do the same as Bushy. - I have no idea whether it makes the difference, but I have some VERY accurate rifles.

#14: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm
    ----
Confused Hmmmmmm-cow barrels and bull barrels.I'm gonna have to check my herd! wtf

#15: Re: Long rifle barrel break in.... Author: rwethereyetLocation: BC Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 am
    ----
A lot of you put a ton of thought into all this.

I buy a new gun, and grab 200 or so rounds of ammo, and go sight it in.

Once sighted in, I shoot until either i run out of ammo, or I can no longer lift my arm.

I go home, clean the gun while sitting either in the backyard hot tub, or my livingroom chair watching TV.

Apparently not ever knowing it had to be "Broken in" worked okay for me.

Maybe next time I get a new gun, i should just toss it ont the ground a few times, just to be sure its perfect. Very Happy

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions