scopes...
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: scopes... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:49 pm
    ----
Reseraching scopes for my new 300 Win Mag.

www.huntingnut.com/ind...&start=150

Amazon has some deals on Bushnell's. The 3200 5-15x40 is nice, they also have a fixed 10x40, but I'm not sure about the fixed thingy and how that works or how adequate that is at long range. I like the tactical turrets. Price range is around 300$ so I'm asking a lot with little, I know...these scopes also come with a soft pupil ring, the gun weighs almost 8# and Buhsnell's I've read have good eye relief so I like what I'm seeing so far there.

The gun comes with a 3-9x but again...not sure if that's going to be enough magnification for my intended ranges.

I'm not all that savy about optics. Used iron sights on rifles till recently, eyes are getting old.

I plan on using this as a range toy, not a field gun. Gongs and stuff from 200-4 or 500y maybe?

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts and comments on eye releif, x-power.

Thanks,

-k

#2: Re: scopes... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:11 pm
    ----
I have the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-to-15X on an Encore .223 but I've only shot it at 100 yards so far (0.25" group!). I like it, and the other Elites I've tried. Another scope I like is the Burris with the "Ballistic Plex" reticle.

#3: Re: scopes... Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 pm
    ----
Most scopes today have plenty of eye relieve....just be sure it's set up for the shooting position you'll be using. I wouldn't use it as a deciding point.
Also pay attention to shooting up hill, some guys have a tendency to crawl the stock getting themselves a magnum eyebrow !!!

As far as the power goes it's really dependent upon what your actually doing.
Small groups require as much magnification as possible but then you have to learn how to deal with mirage.
If your shooting steel plates a 10X will probably work just fine.
Just as a reference.......I used 12 and 16 power scopes for a long time to shoot groundhogs out to 500+ yards and never felt under powered.

When it comes to target turrets this is where you might want to spend some extra money.......you want something that's going to be reliable and repeatable.

#4: Re: scopes... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:50 pm
    ----
Pumper's- agreed, the BP's are pretty cool.

221- good point. This being my first magnum I'm was kinda leary at first so...no stock crawling for sure. I'm def in the market for a name brand scope like Burris or Busnhell and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for deals. The Bushnell Trophy on my pistol has really held up well so far. I think the Mossy comes with a basic Tasco scope, nothing top shelf but it's going straight on my .22 LR as the pupil lens has a chip in it and it's loose- still shoots fine but it needs to be replaced. I kinda like the 10x scope format as I've heard they hold up very well and such due to less parts and the opitcs tend to be very good. I've got more to learn on this so...

Thanks for the input gents.

#5: Re: scopes... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:23 am
    ----
I like around 4 inches of eye relief on rifles with significant recoil. Some scopes have less eye relief as their magnificantion increases. The 3200 Tactical has plenty and has good reviews.

I have a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x and like it a lot. When I'm shooting at 500 yards, I really prefer 16x over 10x.

If you thinkin of a Burris BP reticle, consider the Ballistic Mil-dot reticle so you have graduations left and right to make quick corrections for wind.

Have fun with the 300 Win Mag! I'm real interested in hearing about your experience.

#6: Re: scopes... Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:59 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
Some scopes have less eye relief as their magnificantion increases.

I have a 6.5-20 Loopy I hate for this reason !!!
Because of the stock design it's impossible for me to get comfortable throughout the magnification range. I ended up setting the eye relieve for the higher end and stay in the 12-20 range.

#7: Re: scopes... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:35 am
    ----
slimjim wrote:
I like around 4 inches of eye relief on rifles with significant recoil. Some scopes have less eye relief as their magnificantion increases. The 3200 Tactical has plenty and has good reviews.

I have a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x and like it a lot. When I'm shooting at 500 yards, I really prefer 16x over 10x.

If you thinkin of a Burris BP reticle, consider the Ballistic Mil-dot reticle so you have graduations left and right to make quick corrections for wind.

Have fun with the 300 Win Mag! I'm real interested in hearing about your experience.

Thanks, Slim, I'm excited about the whole prospect of actually seeing stuff again and, having a whomper to nail it with.

#8: Re: scopes... Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am
    ----
In regards to Burris scopes, I've heard their warranty service is VERY poor but have no personal experience with them.

I've had a few Bushnell scopes and still have some. Bushnell also markets Tasco and, I believe, Simmons scopes. I stopped buying Tasco scopes after missing what should have been an easy shot at a coyote. It turned out that the rifle which had been sighted in a few days before was shooting 9 to 12 inches high; that was when I stopped buying cheap scopes.

I had a Bushnell Trophy scope on a handgun (either a 500 or 460 S&W Mag.) which broke and Bushnell wouldn't honor their warranty. If you get a Bushnell scope, go with the one that supposedly has the best warranty but be aware that if it breaks, Bushnell may try to weasel out of fixing it.

Most of my scopes are Leupolds with a few others such as Zeiss and Nightforce. Being a shooter of heavy recoiling scoped handguns, I've had a number of opportunities to enjoy Leupold's warranty service. Leupold's warranty works as always been done promptly with no charge or whining. Also, Leupold's warranty is good even if you bought the scope used so I've bought most of my Leupolds used.

I use a Leupold VX-II 3-9X scope on a 375 H&H Magnum and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X on my 300 Win. Mag. and eye relief is very adequate. I have a Nightforce scope with power up to 22X and really prefer 14X on the top end but 9X and 12X aren't really bad. For long range work I really prefer a variable scope since, if needed, the power can be adjusted to a lower setting if needed for closer targets.

#9: Re: scopes... Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:58 pm
    ----
Best prices I've seen on scopes is from Natchez: www.natchezss.com

#10: Re: scopes... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm
    ----
I'll second 44marty, Natchez is hard to beat. You might want to look at Optics Planet too.

#11: Re: scopes... Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm
    ----
Also try EABCO and various other gun forums in the classified sections.

#12: Re: scopes... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 am
    ----
Optics planet has a Millet on sale... tons of features, anyone ever use them? Not familiar with the name, not that that mans much.

They got good reviews there at OP.

#13: Re: scopes... Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 am
    ----
I believe Millet scopes are made by Bushnell.

#14: Re: scopes... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 am
    ----
I did not know that!...hmm...

Bushnell's sight has a Banner line but not sure if they are for boomer's or not. Little over 100$ in the power range I'd like but they don't say what they are rated for, can't imagine a hundred dollar scope would take that pounding.

I still got's some stuff to learn...

#15: Re: scopes... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:43 pm
    ----
In my experience it doesn't pay to get a cheap scope. I've heard some say that you should plan to spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle but I haven't done that. However, I stay away from the bargain stuff. I've seen several fail just trying to get sighted in.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions