Need bipod feedback
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:01 am
    ----
I just ordered the solid BR modle for the 300 WM. Hope it adds some weight and I'm gonna see if I can fill the legs with shot to add more weight.

This new gun is stupid light and should be a brute to shoot. Yuk.
If it gets the hopp's on a hard bench I'll keep the BP on and go to bags.

I like the BRBP with sliding non-notched legs as it just makes life easier all around for me and I can go from bench to prone etc with this one.
I was suprised to see how many models of BP's Harris made, seems there's one for every need! Killer quailty, too.

#17: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:41 am
    ----
Stove, it's not only the weight and the caliber /load that makes a rifle kick. If it has a rather straight stock, you will be surprised about how little recoil it can deliver. I have such a straight stock on a Dumoulin in .375 H&H and he kicks far less than my .300 WM's.
As for starting just 1 advice: don't start sitting at the bench. In my opinion such benchresting with a heavy load in a .300 WM is rather uncomfortable for the breastbone. You expect shoulderpunishment, but you'll feel the breastbone (and I do know where I'm talking about).

#18: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:44 am
    ----
Ack- ya'll's making me gun shy now... hahaha. Been around .280, .308, 30-06. First big boomer mag so... please God no scope eye! Laughing

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do the break in off-hand.

I do like them bipods though. Dont have to tote along a vise, one less bulky thing at the range. Razz

#19: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:55 am
    ----
I use the 9-13" versions in the field but sandbags filled with kitty litter on the bench (unused, for those jokers out there that would just have to ask! Confused ) since it provides enough support without being too firm and causing bounce.

You could always do as a friend of mine did...too tight to buy more than one and not being able to make up his mind he tried modifying a bipod set so that with the legs extended along the barrel (normal folded position) a second set had been added to the legs at right angles to the first set. The second legs were short enough for prone shooting while the others when rotated into position were long enough for seated shooting. When the longer set were rotated downwards, the shorter set pivoted back along the forearm. As you might imagine, this was a horribly unwieldy setup and made him look like he was carrying Charley Brown's Christmas tree through the woods. After quite a bit of ribbing he finally abandoned his "invention".

#20: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:48 pm
    ----
Finally got back out to the range today. I borrowed a Harris bipod and shot from sandbags and compared to the bipod (13" to 25" extended). I was pretty pleased with the results so didn't shoot up a lot of ammo trying to convince myself there was or wasn't a POI issue. I was convinced after 8 rounds that its not an issue with my Tikka. There might be a small shift but not one I'm going to worry about at this time.

#21: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:07 am
    ----
This Harris bipod has a of minimum 13" support when deployed and extends up to 25". Its not one you would want to use off the bench but is very nice for sitting and shooting above tall grass. In the 13" position (upper right) you can use it prone but you have to be up on your elbows more than normal. The lower right picture is with it fully extended. There are 3 leg sections with two that collapse into the main unit. The lower left picture show the height with only one section deployed. The unit can be finely adjusted between the right two pictures. Harris makes a quality bipod.

#22: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 am
    ----
aarenlainey wrote:
If you want to go for shooting off the bench or prone, 6-9 inch will be fine.

This is what I'm going to start out with.

#23: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: eaglesnesterLocation: Northern Interior B.C. Canada PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 am
    ----
I have just ordered a Harris Bypod from Wholesale Sports up here in Northern B.C.. I ordered the 9 -13 inch S model. I will be using it when shooting prone at the range and for sighting in with my 300 Weatherby, 22/250, 308 Norma, Remington 30/06 BDL, and my CZ550 375H&H. I do not think that I will be using it while hunting as the low height probably will not lend itself well to shooting because of brush, terrain etc. For hunting I have leather military 1 1/4" shooting slings attached to all of my rifles and I use a pair of 28" homemade shooting sticks that cost 11 bucks to build. They are so light that when I have them clipped to my belt I don"t even know they are there. When in sitting position and strapped into my shooting sling and shooting sticks I can get darn steady for those long 400 yd plus shots. Now of course the animal must not know you are there and you need time to get into position and if that time is not possible you still need to be able to shoot offhand at 100 - 200 yds. I am not implying here that anyone should try a 400 yd off hand shot although there are probably some shooters on this board that can do that and do it well but I sure can not.

#24: Re: Need bipod feedback Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 am
    ----
Tell ya what my 3-9" Harris took a beating last weekend- 37 rounds of .300 WM, hopped a little fully extended on upslope's, then over to the bench for scrubbing and so on....not even a sign of wear anywhere. Thumb screw needs to be kept in check and watch for cant but it's a prety tough little unit...goes back for more on the 10th.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions