First Blood
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: First Blood Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 am
    ----
I have been using a .243 bolt gun for several years to coyote hunt but also used an AR 15. I purchased a new flat top upper from White Oak Armament and had only put 10 rounds through it to check the scope mounting job. ( I used Millet windage adjustable extra high AR bases and was dead on by bore sighting only Very Happy , but that is a post for a different forum)

So... I am driving to work this morning and see several coyotes working the waterways in the fields near my house. I call my nephew and tell him to get his 30-06 and go get some... He says he is out of bullets... So I tell him where my AR is and where my 75 grain HPBT Nosler match loads are.

About a half an hour later I get this picture on my cell phone.

He spot and stalked this little male in his blue jeans and a work coat to about 200 yards and initiated my rifle properly with a bang -flop shot.

I have been wondering how a match bullet would perform. He says the exit wound is about 5" Shocked .

#2: Re: First Blood Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:37 pm
    ----
Right on Very Happy .

#3: Re: First Blood Author: JASmithLocation: California PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm
    ----
There is something special about the first. Most, but not all, of my rifles, shotguns and pistols have gone through enough game that I've forgotten the first.

Yours is even more special because it wasn't expected plus you and your nephew weren't "ready.'

Good show!

#4: Re: First Blood Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am
    ----
Way cool story.

Maybe he can reciprocate on your way home. "There's a new 6-pack in my fridge hidden in the veggie drawer, git some!..." Wink

#5: Re: First Blood Author: tcknightLocation: Arkansas PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:

I have been wondering how a match bullet would perform. He says the exit wound is about 5" Shocked .

OUCH! Hope the 5" exit is a fluke.

Great story Dawgdad! My nephew and I hunt together too.

THANKS.

#6: Re: First Blood Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:29 pm
    ----
Good job,keep up the good work.

Clint

#7: Re: First Blood Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:44 pm
    ----
5" exit wound!!!! well no trouble with finding a blood trail if shot not quite right. sounds good to me.

-> Varmint Hunting