NEF
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#76: Re: NEF Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:22 am
    ----
BigBlue wrote:
I don't expect to be shooting tiny little groups with this rifle, but even if I can get 1.5-2" it should be just what I need. I'm hoping to use it for coyote up in the mountains.
Don

Ya don't necessarily need little groups Don....just Minute of Coyote mate. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#77: Re: NEF Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 am
    ----
Vince wrote:

Ya don't necessarily need little groups Don....just Minute of Coyote mate. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

Laughing

#78: Re: NEF Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 pm
    ----
Don, with your 500 S&W baby canon, even a glancing shot may be fatal to the coyote!!

#79: Re: NEF Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:47 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
Don, with your 500 S&W baby canon, even a glancing shot may be fatal to the coyote!!
Darn it I'd hate to ruin a nice fur. I had hoped the .500 S&W would scare them enough to make 'em jump out of their skin.
FedEx tracking tells me they delivered a day early and my local dealer has the new Handi so I'm hoping for a phone call from him tomorrow after he gets it logged in.
Don

#80: Re: NEF Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 pm
    ----
I got the new Superlight Handi rifle yesterday and mounted a 2-7X32 Simmons Pro-hunter scope on it. I was able to get to the range this afternoon. This is only 50 yards, but very promising for a first day out with the rifle. I was using 69gr. Nosler Cust. Comp. bullets over 26.0gr. of Varget.
Don

#81: Re: NEF Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm
    ----
I also took the .500 S&W Handi to the range and with a top load of LilGun and CPB 440gr. bullets got the following 50 yard group. Not great, but probably sufficient for 95% of the shots I've taken on big game. I bought the rifle to use as a close range brush gun so I think it will do. I want to play with this load a bit and also a few other powders I want to try in it.
Don

#82: Re: NEF Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 am
    ----
If'n that .500 center shot is the cold bore yer good to go man. Man I would NOT want to be on the other end of that thing....*WHOMP*.

#83: Re: NEF Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 am
    ----
Had the BC out today with my home cast boolits, wow lots of fun. My favorite was the 535gr on top of 45gr IMR 3031, they are definitely an eye opener!!! I'm sure glad I added the extra weight to it.

#84: Re: NEF Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm
    ----
wiersy,
IMR3031 and RL-7 are my favorites for the 45/70. How are you finding the factory sights? I've seen many guys complain that they can't get enough elevation, but I'm sure a lot would really depend on the load they are using. The 45/70 BC has quite a following among black powder cartridge shooters using paper patched bullets.
Don

#85: Re: NEF Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm
    ----
The factory sights are only good to about 300 yards with the 405's and up. I can't decide if I want to scope it or get a good tang site.

#86: Re: NEF Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 pm
    ----
You can see to 300y?

That's sooo not fair.

I gotta use glass now, dang it.

#87: Re: NEF Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 pm
    ----
You can always file/cut down the front sight to increase effective shooting distance of the factory sight.
The removable sights are easy and cheap to replace so not much is lost if you made a boo boo.

#88: Re: NEF Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:57 pm
    ----
I'm leaning toward a scope the eye's aren't going to get any better.

#89: Re: NEF Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
You can see to 300y?

That's sooo not fair.

I gotta use glass now, dang it.

I need glasses to find my glasses! It sure is tough getting old.....you can't see right.....your cold all the time.....you tend to ramble on.....but you know what they say.....there's no time like the present.....well.....except for the past.....I used to enjoy that.
Don

#90: Re: NEF Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:30 am
    ----
Hehe- I got those Rite-Aid reader's all over the place at my pad. Glasses in every room now!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions