Any Canoe guys?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Any Canoe guys? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:44 pm
    ----
I'm looking at buying a canoe and was looking for advice. This is a 16' fiberglass Aerocraft., web seats in real good shape. It seems to be wider than other canoes I've looked at. We have a lot of lakes and rivers up hear and I'm getting tired of standing on the banks, it's time I take the plunge...LOL I hope I'm not too old to control one of these, it's been a long time. any pros & cons on a glass canoe?

#2: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: wiersy111Location: Central Minnesota PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:42 pm
    ----
Seems like every time I get in a canoe I get wet. I have always preferred a jon boat for hunting and v bottom for fishing.

#3: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm
    ----
A Jon Boat would be great, but for $200. you couldn't touch one. I'll try the Canoe thing until I get dumped too many times, Some of the small rivers or large creeks I hunt around in the U.P should be OK to use it. Hauling out Deer in it might be another thing.

#4: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:20 pm
    ----
I've been wanting to try hunting from my kayak (Wilderness Systems Critter) but I don't have a good place for it and I need to check some of the laws regarding shooting from watercraft. I think it would be perfect for slipping down a creek or through a swamp.

#5: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:27 am
    ----
Do It! For $200, even if you finally decide it isn't quite your thing, you could probably sell it for about what you paid. Is it light enough to get it from the carrier to the water and back all by yourself? Definitely a consideration.

In Michigan, I'd think you would have places that give canoe/kayak classes.
They do here in Utah, and we have lots less water than you guys.

One thing I remember from my canoe days: Lower center of gravity. Sit on the floor, not the seat for better stability. Electronics, cameras, guns, etc. in waterproof bags, with a float attached, or secured to the canoe.

If single-handing it, paddle from the front. If you can find it, read Patrick McManus' story about him and his friend Retch shooting the Chick-a-nout rapids. Laughing

Have fun! Very Happy

#6: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:32 am
    ----
I just went and got it. it's a little heavier than I'd like but if I had too I could manage it for a short distance. Nice and wide, looks stable,( for a Canoe) I'll practice in my pond. What length paddles should I be looking for? None came with it.

#7: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:32 am
    ----
Is there a canoe/kayak store in the area? They could help you pick out any gear you need, including the correct length paddle. Remember to spend the $$ and get a good PFD designed for paddling.

#8: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: longwalkerLocation: Bethel, AK PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:58 pm
    ----
If you have not done so already go buy it. I spent all last winter building a canoe just so I would have it this year for duck hunting in Southwest Alaska.

If there is one secret regarding canoes it is, to kneel on the bottom and rest your behind on the seat. This puts your center off gravity lower and thus makes you more stable.

Wear a PFD and you will find all kinds of places to hunt with out the crowds. Sneaking around skinny water in the waterfowl season, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Longwalker

#9: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:31 pm
    ----
I wish I'd have seen this post sooner. I was gonna advise you to get a poly canoe over the fiberglass ones. The only down side to glass canoes are the weight. $200 for one aint real bad. Have fun with it.

#10: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 pm
    ----
My next Canoe I will be looking for something lighter. For the price this is a good one to learn on. Thanks for the responses..

#11: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: TXCountryboyLocation: Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm
    ----
I don't have too much knowledge about canoe but I love goin out in em. A buddy of mine made his own wooden canoe and did a great job on it. Man I wish I had that kind of talent.

#12: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: jbfiacco PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm
    ----
Paddle length: to your chin
Where to sit if you are alone: Turn canoe around so stern is pointing forward. Kneel, resting your butt on the BOW thwart. You are slightle behind the center of the canoe. With a little gear in the front (or what was the stern is now the bow!!), the canoe will be trimmed.

#13: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm
    ----
Welcome aboard "The Nut" jbfiacco. Grab a beer and pull up a stump mate. Sit awhile and relax.

OK...you have me a little perplexed mate...how do you tell the pointy end from the pointy end...ummmm...the bow from the stern...they both look the same to me. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#14: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08 pm
    ----
Vince, it’s the way the seats are arranged…

#15: Re: Any Canoe guys? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 pm
    ----
Ahhhh....ok, of course...thanks Punkin.....I should have realised that. Don't mind me mate...I'm as dumb as dog's droppings. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

-> General