"Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ?
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:45 am
    ----
Hi, all;

OooKay... I decided to spring for a set of so called gunsmith screwdrivers for the obvious reason; to eliminate screw damage, etc. I tried several offerings, among them B-Square and Brownell's.

So far, my exerience has been less than great. Sad All I seem to have is really expen$ive set(s) of screwdrivers.

The bits don't seem to be much different than the little screwdriver that came with my Smith revolver, the bits are soft, and bend with the least provocation, and little pressure. Mad

Frankly, I don't see much improvement over the cabinet screwdrivers I used as a teen ager.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone recommed a better aternative? Dimitri, you got any suggestions?

Thanks

#2: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am
    ----
I'm just plain cheap (Scot-Amer). I hollow ground two of my standard screwdrivers. My problem solved and they don't twist or bend...

#3: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: WickyLocation: Alice Springs, Australia PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:53 pm
    ----
I'm with Bushy on this one. I used to do a fair bit of the repair work around the area, still do a bit, and after spending a fortune on 'gunsmith' screwdrivers started grinding standard drivers to suit.
Of the 'gunsmith' drivers available the Chapman , I found, are probably the best but the bits themselves are very short. The tec screw driver bits are much harder and most are already hollow ground and you will only need to grind them for the correct diameter. Cheap too!

#4: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:04 pm
    ----
I bought a couple of small sets that I have not been happy with either !!!

#5: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 pm
    ----
I bought my set from CHINA and they are GREAT (whenever I found them that is..) mates keep on borrowing them..

Hollow ground and hardened tips seems to be good idea.
but the fit of the blades are important too, just as the square base.

#6: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 am
    ----
I use standard everyday run of the mill Stanley screwdrivers and have only messed up a couple of screws. Gelan hit on the most important part...make sure the screwdriver you are using is a correct fit. If it isn't, don't matter how fancy the manufacture is...it will tear up the screw head.

Some of the more versatile tips I have are ones I got in a very cheap and nasty tool kit. They fit a magnetic ratchet screwdriver but the tips them selves appear to be hardened, are hollow ground, and I have enough sizes to cover all screws on my rifles.

Works for me.

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:22 am
    ----
Many years ago I bought a set of wooden handled screwdrivers from Harbor Freight and Salvage (now just called Harbor Freight). The price was really cheap; certainly less than $10 and I think probably in the $5 range. Since that time, on multiple occasions, I've seen what appears to be exactly the same set advertised in various places as "gunsmithing screwdrivers" and being sold for $20 to $35.

A screwdriver is a screwdriver as long as it fits the screw.

For cheap and good screwdrivers try Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, saved a bunch of money and have been satisfied with their products with few exceptions.

#8: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 am
    ----
I've got a set from Pachmayr, a handle with a variety of bits, that I've been happy with.

#9: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: Lutzy48 PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:27 am
    ----
I have a Wheeler Engineering set I bought from Midway I am quite happy with. Quite an assortment of different bits. Heres a link to the on-line catalog page...

www.midwayusa.com/view...ber=223597

#10: Re: "Gunsmithing" screwdrivers ? Author: kentucky hareraiserLocation: kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:52 pm
    ----
i mhave a set from field and stream ,and they are a bit soft.twistin' and bendin' plum out of whack. went to a set i had in a stanley tool kit. 1/4 tipped handle with several bits of all sizes . no problem with them.. but now ,the correct fit as everyone is sayin' is the ticket

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions