Savage .22 Extractor
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Savage .22 Extractor Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am
    ----
I have a Savage Model 6 .22 . It is a semiautomatic recoil operated tubular magazine gun . 2 years ago a .22 shell ruptured slightly in the chamber . The right extractor blew off . The gun itself was not damaged . I recently bought a new extractor and installed it . For some reason the empty shells don' t extract correctly in the gun. The case is somehow stuck in as the fresh shell is chambered ,with the old case being stuck behind the fresh shell when the bolt in open . I have used expensive types of ammo in it and several cheap stuff and it still has this problem . I have tried switching my right and left extractors but no good . any ideas?

#2: Re: Savage .22 Extractor Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:57 pm
    ----
Where exactly in the chamber did the shell rupture?

Is it possible the the ruptured shell scared the chamber?

Have you tried using a bronze brush extensively in the chamber to remove and scratches, left over brass, or other things that could be preventing a clean extraction?

Have you inspected the chamber with a bore scope for possible damage?

#3: Re: Savage .22 Extractor Author: whittlingLocation: Texas (home state is Mass) PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:50 pm
    ----
The shell was a very old 22LR round a friend gave us .It burst in the firing chamber - the very bottom of 22 case ruptured near the right extractor . A small piece of the shell sort of flew out .

#4: Re: Savage .22 Extractor Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:42 pm
    ----
check wisnersinc.com they have left/right extractors for 12.00

#5: Re: Savage .22 Extractor Author: allenpmwLocation: utah PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:01 am
    ----
terry264 wrote:
check wisnersinc.com they have left/right extractors for 12.00
I dought you have a chamber problem.
Did the exracter come with a new spring?
Is the edge of the extracter where it grabs the rim clean? (no burrs)
When the extracter blew off did it damage the bolt body?
If the bolt is damaged carfully clean all damage off with a needle file.
If you have chamber marks go to your local hard ware store and get a pice af fine scotchbright. Use a round object place scotchbright around it and polish out marks. This shouldnt take long!!! dont hit your riflings!
Go slow and easy!

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions