Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:38 pm
    ----
I contacted a commercial source for 308Win that is subsonic, looking into the costs now of it. Made in Switzerland.

You'll have a 2nd person shooting subsonic ammunition on the board if this works out. Very Happy

Dimitri

#2: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:01 pm
    ----
dont know why I miss this ..

Mr D. once you get to shooting subs, your life changes.
You will no longer like the big BOOM of the hyper velocity.
Your expenses for ammo is heavy on the projectile instead of powder..

Welcome to the "ahum".. club?

you can make subs 308 by using 9 grain of RED DOT on smaller than 150gn projectiles.
But, beware, it may create high pressure peak on your gun.

#3: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 pm
    ----
Gelan,

Currently looking to source these:

www.ruag.com/ruag/bina...&open=true

Still waiting on a reply from the store on quantities and price however.

Dimitri

#4: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:47 pm
    ----
9 grains of Red Dot in a .308 case ??? I don't like the sounds of that !!! scared

#5: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 pm
    ----
There are a few references to these loads on the net.
One of them is "the Load" ie. 13 grains of red dot in almost any type of cartridge over .30 cal.
members.shaw.ca/cronhe...eLoad.html
The 13 grains of Reddot would give about 1600fps with 150gn projectile.

I found for a subsonic load in my gun (ruger 77MKII) 9 grains of red dot would give about 1100fps consistently, and accuracy of about 1.5inch group can be obtained with 130 grains projectiles.

There are a few newer loads using Trailboss - some say that they are good, but I still cannot find the right combo for it.

RUAG also make 300 Whisper loads.
I emailed them a few years ago for them, never got any reply tho.
Maybe they are not interested to service overseas market??
It would be cool to have a few factory loads to compare with my own homebrews.

#6: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 am
    ----
gelandangan, Are you familiar with SSK industries and DJ Jones? (I’m thinking you are!!!)

Also Cor-bon ammo makes 300 whisper ammo. But I don’t know if it’s available to you or if you can have it imported.

#7: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:50 pm
    ----
Chambs

Yes I am familiar with SSK and DJ jones.
I am copying one of their design after all Razz

Corbon USED to make some 300 Whisper ammo.
The key word is USED.. and that was about 5 years ago..
as far as I know, they do not do it anymore.

I have contacted SSK to find out if they will sell a few 300 whisper cases to me.
The reply I received was that DJ can only supply 221 fireball brass, not formed 300 Whisper.

Currently, I got about 1000 brass made by Keith Davies (he no longer make cases)
sent to me in a very convulsed route due to
the US law about exporting firearms parts and the Australian law about importing the same.

I am glad the Whisper do not stretch nor stress the case at all.
I predict reuse ability for the shells to be 20 - 30 times before the neck splits.
So this is a good economical caliber to use once the components are gathered.

- Mr D. My apology for hijacking your thread. But it is all in the topic of Subsonics caliber.

#8: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:52 pm
    ----
Apologizing at me for hijacking a thread? Shocked Think about what you just said. Shocked What is wrong with you? Confused

Very Happy

Dimitri

#9: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm
    ----
at least we're not talking about girls yet. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#10: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
8O What is wrong with you? Confused

Very Happy

Dimitri

Hum, whats wrong with me?
Cant say mate! Very Happy
Do you mean:
I am a bit overweight,
I have beady eyes,
my breath stank in the morning,
unlike the rest of the gang I shoot low velocity ammo at very short range
And I have tendency to ramble on different topics?
Other than those,
I am absolutely perfect.. Angel at least thats what Mrs Gelan said just before our wedding day... Nananana
Never mind what happened after that.. you are too young to understand Very Happy

fnuser wrote:
at least we're not talking about girls yet. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

but we are.. we are..

#11: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: TheBigJonsonLocation: Mountains of the Moon PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:29 am
    ----
gelandangan wrote:

Currently, I got about 1000 brass made by Keith Davies (he no longer make cases) sent to me in a very convulsed route due to
the US law about exporting firearms parts and the Australian law about importing the same..

Hey, Gelandangan, I send stuff to Oz like reamers and dies, and even sent 100 Rigby cases once, and never had an issue. I label the box machine tools and declare it as a gift. BJ

#12: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: K.W.Location: Finland PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:12 am
    ----
I load subsonics for my .22Hornet, .308Win and .357Rem Maximum. But I make it with VihtaVuori pistol powders. Never mind, You have not those powders ROFL

#13: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 am
    ----
Vihta Vuori is available in the States.

I must say that the sub-sonic thing (under 1083 FPS) has my interest!!!
But I’m concerned with the safety of a 308 case with such a small charge of pistol powder. scared
Should I decide to explore this avenue, I think the 300 Whisper would be the way to go.

Besides it uses the 221 case. Very Happy

#14: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 pm
    ----
Chambered as I am hence why I am trying to buy it pre-made. Smile

Dimitri

#15: Re: Hey Gelan - Subsonic Ammunition. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:28 pm
    ----
TheBigJonson wrote:

Hey, Gelandangan, I send stuff to Oz like reamers and dies, and even sent 100 Rigby cases once, and never had an issue. I label the box machine tools and declare it as a gift. BJ

BJ,
Due to the current hoolabaloo on the guns sports, it seems prudent to declare everything rather than to be stamped as a criminal for some trivial stuff.
Declaring restricted items delivery as a GIFT does not make it ok.
I also do not want the Customs officers to relax this law too much..
there are a lot of uncouth persons out there that like to cross the line.
Those people make bad names in our sport.

Reamers and dies are allowed to be imported without permit, but
ammunition or parts of ammunition are NOT allowed.
I know of this when I import those cases.
To export them you need to give your (the senders) personal detail, and then to import them, I need to get a permit which includes my personal details, genuine reason to acquire and permission to keep the item.

Truly it is us villain that keep them busy.. not those good drive by shooters..

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions