CCW handgun
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#31: Re: CCW handgun Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 am
    ----
I've been a member sense April of 2007. And yes I have met a bunch of them. All nice guys from all walks of life and a lot of them are the ones you can thank for the right to carry here in Missouri...Several of them are helping other states with their carry campaign...

#32: Re: CCW handgun Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 am
    ----
Hey,guys, can you give me some comments about the Ruger P95DC??? Any info will be appreciated!! TNX! Smile Would it be a good companion for my 45 long colt????

#33: Re: CCW handgun Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:11 pm
    ----
I am not a fan of any of the Ruger semi-autos!!!
Most guys I shoot with share the same opinions as I on them.
I have seen 1 guy in 6 years with one at local matches.
I will add that my opinions are based on the original P85 and 89 series. I have not handled or shot any of the newer models. Friends of mine have and they still don’t like them.

With all that said, I will admit, the 2,000 or so rounds I put through a P85 was digested without any failures. The gun never gave me one issue. As far as function goes you can’t complain about them. I refer to them as a great utility gun that will always work.

The worst thing about the one I had was a long way to heavy inconsistent trigger pull and its lonnnnnnng reset.

#34: Re: CCW handgun Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 pm
    ----
We've had 1 customer that's a guard at the federal prison in spfld mo that has brought in a ruger auto that was locked up like a safe. NO disassembly was possible we advised him to send it back to ruger before we tried some medieval form of torture on it. He did and they sent him another one less than 1 month later the same guy brings in the same gun locked up again. I've seen this before about a year ago this is not hearsay it is first hand experience. I know ruger builds some nice stuff like the #1 and their revolvers are phenomenal but I wouldn't buy an auto from them. It's not their forte.

#35: Re: CCW handgun Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 pm
    ----
Wow!!! I know a lot of guys that rely on and have absolute trust in the P series Rugers. I'd hate to ask you guys (critics) what you might think of my Kimber UCC II. So I won't... Very Happy

#36: Re: CCW handgun Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:59 pm
    ----
So I’ll just tell you anyways !!! Shocked You knew this was coming didn’t you??? Very Happy

I bought a Kimber Gold Match that had a bad barrel........... wtf I think you’ve heard this story............... Shocked Maybe a time or two???

#37: Re: CCW handgun Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 pm
    ----
I haven't been a fan of the feel of the Ruger P series but I've never heard any complaints about reliability before. If the same guy had the same problem with 2 different guns I'd have to blame the guy, not the guns.

Although I never bought a P series I am now carrying a Ruger SR9 and like it. My daughter also likes the way it feels and shoots.

#38: Re: CCW handgun Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:36 am
    ----
My son bought a Ruger P90 that he loves. Granted, it doesn't have a crisp trigger pull and the "reset" is long, but he shoots it very well and has put over 1,500 rounds through it (my reloads of course...he likes freebies!) without a failure of any kind. I personally don't like the feel of them but he had me order Hogue grips for his and really likes the feel. Of course at 6'7" and pushing 300 pounds, he has hands the size of country hams....

#39: Re: CCW handgun Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 am
    ----
If the same guy had the same problem with 2 different guns I'd have to blame the guy, not the guns.

Mike, I would have to agree with you on this score!! Smile How is it for accuracy?

#40: Re: CCW handgun Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:14 am
    ----
They are not guns that your going to be able to brag about!!!

Using a B27 target at 21feet I could keep them in the 10 ring with an occasional hit to the 9 ring.
At 50 feet it got real ugly !!! A whole lot of 9’s and a fair share of 8’s.

#41: Re: CCW handgun Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:49 am
    ----
While it is not the end all I do believe reliability is a very major issue!! Smile

#42: Re: CCW handgun Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 am
    ----
vint2 wrote:
Hey,guys, can you give me some comments about the Ruger P95DC??? Any info will be appreciated!! TNX! Smile Would it be a good companion for my 45 long colt????

P95s are superb dollar values and many that own them feel they need nothing better. They are stone reliable, once broken in, and seldom do you find them to be inaccurate. Perhaps, they are a tad overbuilt for the 9mm round, but, it is that robust nature of the handgun that appeals to many. As with all Ruger firearms, they carry a lifetime guarantee.

Personally, I prefer the DC to the manual safety. Like SIGs, the heavy double action precludes unintentional discharge and simplifies the draw/fire in a rush situation. The single action is excellent, breaking cleanly.

The matter of being a "good companion" is subjective, however, I know many that feel having a 9mm makes sense for a variety of reasons. With quality PD ammo, it is as effective as any pistol cartridge.

#43: Re: CCW handgun Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:17 am
    ----
Since I am not real knowledgeable about handguns maybe I should have asked about powders and handloads for the Ruger 9mm, just in case. I do handload for my long colt and wonder if Unique will do the job.Thanks for all the good comments guys. I am llearning much here!!!!! Very Happy

#44: Re: CCW handgun Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:49 am
    ----
Unique can be used with the whole range of available bullet weights in the 9mm.
I have never used it and don’t know of anyone using it (in 9mm) so I will not comment on its merits.

Most commonly used powders (in my opinion) are Power Pistol, Bullseye, 231, #5, and #7.
I run Hodgdon TiteGroup with a 147gr plated bullet. It is the most consistent powder I’ve ever seen over a chronograph with a pistol.

Should you want input on the powders I listed I’ll be glad to share what I’ve found with them. Just ask.

#45: Re: CCW handgun Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:51 am
    ----
The other question I should have asked, is what is considered to be acceptable grouping for a handgun??

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions