Slow powders in 45 acp
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#31: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: damianss PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:58 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
I'll vote for that... Very Happy

The only powders I have played with for my .45 ACPS is Bullseye (did not perform and dirty) AA #5 (Heat sensitive) AA #7 (My Colt loves it) W-231 (good clean burning powder and all around good performer) and WSF (I use this in my Kimber UCC II). I pretty much use 185 grain JHP (Remington, Hornady XTP and Rainier plated HP). No "slow" powders...

I found bullseye and 700x to be very dirty smokey powders i dont care for them.

#32: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 pm
    ----
A friend tried exactly that with a .45 Auto some years back and I still have the blown case somewhere around here. Luckily the shrapnel that came off stuck in the heavy jacket of another friend who was firing it at the time and none hit his face. I guess the short answer is, I've seen it tried and therefore haven't tried it myself.

I've just started loading for the .45 Auto and my first loads are 200 grain cast and JHP bullets over Power Pistol. Haven't had a chance to test them yet.

#33: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: damianss PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 pm
    ----
yeah power pistol is pretty good to very clean burning.

#34: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm
    ----
I do a lot of experiment with wildcat (loads and caliber) - I was the first one to answer your topic.
So I reckon I should count as one that is interested (and contributed) in this topic.

In the same time, I also value my appendages and body parts highly - very highly.. I am quite attached to them (pun intended)

Like chamber did I also like to know and learn from you on your method of testing.
You ask us for our experience and wisdom.. this is a two way street..
I believe it is ok to ask you to show the testing jig so we could all share your method, and together we may create a better tool for our sport.

I can see that you do a lot of loadin' n shooting.. strewth! to load up AND shoot 22 pounds of powder (154000 Grains) in 40 days.
Imagining 55 grains a cartridge (being 100% load on almost all powders available on a 45-70 - the largest cartridge listed) that make 2800 loads.
Of course when split to the 9mm, 45ACP, 30-06, 223, 8x57 etc the total number might be more than 8000 loads..
You are a lucky guy to have so much time.
Back a few years ago (before the large caliber ban) when I was very much into competition shooting, my average weekly consumption is about 1000 45ACP a week, and that took at least 8 hours to shoot and 4 nights to load, I must be slow....
I love to see the picture of your loading and shooting room too.

Finally, I am sure that the US Army Special Force Delta Team are trained to work safely - not suicidal.
So, could you PLEASE show us your jig and tools?

#35: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: damianss PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:44 pm
    ----
ill see if i cant get a pic of my loading area up here soon. Ill have to borrow a digital cam from someone... i know its the digital age but im still using 35 mm...

#36: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:49 pm
    ----
Don't forget the pressure testing jig

#37: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 pm
    ----
I grew up with the type of people who Handloader mentioned on one of his posts.
I lived just a few miles North of Camp Perry.
My Dad built two rifles that won there.
His best friend was Major Bob Alexander who won Pistol Championships at Perry for many years, and took me under his wing on how to reload, along with Dad and his other buddies.
One of my shooters in my Pistol League shot for the US Marine shooting team in the '60's.

Nothing personal anss, but I would like to see your discharge papers also.
I have a hard time believing that the Military has gone to hell that fast in so few years.

I just returned from the range with a shooting partner, because we are in the process of testing some new .41mag. LSWC bullets that she is in the process of working up.
Tonight I will reload 50 bullets at the starting load of 7.8gr of Unique powder with the just made 215gr LSWC.
Tomorrow, we will shoot and test for hardness etc.
It is a slow process for shooters who know what they are doing.

Eric

#38: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm
    ----
ElyBoy wrote:

I lived just a few miles North of Camp Perry.

sooooo to say you were wet behind the ears was a understatement !!!

#39: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:58 pm
    ----
Chamber, Eric washes his hair sometimes Cool ..

so being wet behind his ears are literal Very Happy Dinja Eric?

#40: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 pm
    ----
I'm a cue ball G-Man

The only hair that I can wash is under my armpits, and--------------
you know where. Very Happy Very Happy

Back in "the day" was in the late fifties and sixties by the way.
My kids call me an old fart now.

Eric

#41: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 pm
    ----
They aren't the only ones.... Very Happy

#42: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 pm
    ----
OK Gramps--Take the cheap ones when you can. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric

#43: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 pm
    ----
Well...You would if I said that...

#44: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:41 am
    ----
ElyBoy wrote:
I'm a cue ball G-Man
Eric

Oboy.. notanothercueball.. Razz
Remind me to use my sunnies Cool when shooting next to you.. the glare man.. the glare. Very Happy
gotta use some sort of matt spray when going a huntin' Very Happy

#45: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 am
    ----
What brand of wax do ya use on that...

-> Reloading Ammunition