.54 T/C Hawken
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: .54 T/C Hawken Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 pm
    ----
I was in a gun shop last week and saw a T/C Hawken flintlock in .54 caliber sitting on the used gun rack. The shop owner sold it to me real cheap even though it was like new. I have never seen the T/C Hawkem in .54 caliber listed as a catalog item. I knew they made .54 barrels beacause T/C replaced a Renegade barrel with a .54 Hawken barrel a few years ago. The local gun shop guys are old timers and they say the .54 Hawken came out of the T/C Custom Shop as a special order item. No matter, I got it cheap and love it. Take care...
Joe

#2: Re: .54 T/C Hawken Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 am
    ----
Congratulations, great find. Percussion Hawken .54s are pretty common, but the flintlocks are not. There were even .58 caliber Hawken Flintlocks available through their custom shop.

#3: Re: .54 T/C Hawken Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 am
    ----
Joe,
Good catch. Let us know how it shoots. All the best...
Gil

#4: Re: .54 T/C Hawken Author: wncchester PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:48 pm
    ----
I hope you got one with the double set triggers. GREAT hunting rifle!

When TC first offered the Hawken, and the Renegade shortly after, mid 70 if I remember correctly, I got one of the Renegades in .54. Thought it would be a slightly superior hunting rifle, with the shotgun butt plate, and wouldn't have to keep all that brass furnituer looking good. No regets, but the Hawken DOES look nicer! I get 2-3" groups at 100 with irons and my tired old eyes. But, I did put a TC peep sight on it and that helps a lot. Between hunts, my wife insists I keep it above the stone fireplace as a decorator item!

I still don't underestand why the .54s slide out of sight and .50s dominate today. Too many wimps afraid of the recoil? Not that the .54 is at all bad but the .50 is definetally softer.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting