Older used guns
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Older used guns Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 pm
    ----
I was in a gun shop on Saturday with my girlfriend looking over the used gun racks. She is into guns and likes to watch me shop. There was an older Winchester Model 1200 Ted Williams sold by Sears in 20 gauge that looked like new. It had a ventilated rib and an external choke at the end of the barrel. The hang tag said $179.00 and I really liked the shotgun. End of story, I bought it. The stock is real walnut and the bluing is lovely which is how they made guns back in the 1960s.

It has been a lot of years since I bought a new gun. The used gun market has a lot of quality bargains just waiting to be found. The prices are usually modest. Anyone else prefer older used guns? All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Older used guns Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:42 pm
    ----
Howdy Gil: I am of the opinion that today's firearms have tighter tolerances, better metalugry and are safer than yesterday's guns. They are, mostly, robotically manufactured and to a far more consistent standard. They, also, lack the craftsmanship and allure of selected offerings made decades ago.

A friend of a friend brought an H&R breaktop in 32 S&W over to the house last night. It was in superb condition with a high luster blue and even had a special pocketbook holster from that era. Timing was good, however, the barrel showed minor pitting. I believe they sold new for $18. He spied some Berger match bullets on the shelf and soon a deal was made and I now have a cute breaktop to take to the range.

I'm a sucker for pre 64 Winchesters, almost any model and almost any condition. I have a fondness for early Ruger No1s or, for that matter, any No1 with exceptional wood. Old commercial Colt 1911s are always of interest as well as four and five screw S&Ws. They provide testimony to a time when manufacturing was very different and guns were judged by a higher criteria than today.

#3: Re: Older used guns Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm
    ----
Gil,
I think for me it really depends on the type of gun. I really like older Marlin and Winchester lever guns, so I always look them over when I see them. I keep an eye out for guns that may have some defect that I can easily cure and get at a bargain. I enjoy refinishing stocks so I have gotten some good deals on guns that needed stock refinishing. Used rifles are also my favorite source of quality used scopes. I've bought used rifles that were wearing good scopes, later removed the scope and sold the rifle for what I paid for it. I've also got some real good bargains on used Ruger single action revolvers. Let's face it guns are a lot like cars, the original owner takes a big hit if he trades it in soon after buying it. Many people buy guns on a whim, not really having any idea of what they may have to deal with. Many of the large bore handguns are like that. For instance, how many people bought .44 magnums after watching Clint Eastwood brag on 'em only to sell them after firing just a few shots.
Don

#4: Re: Older used guns Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 pm
    ----
Hey Gil--my Wife and your Girlfriend are EXACTLY ALIKE!!!

MY lovely likes to watch me shop for guns too. Viking Viking Viking Viking Viking Whip Whip Whip

I'm a luck guy, just like you!! Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Eric Hiding Hiding Hiding

#5: Re: Older used guns Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 am
    ----
I'm a sucker for old european guns. Especially sporters built on mausers by English shoppes. Every now and then I see a Mannlicher Schoenauer that gets my attention too. I've found alot of cartridges that pre-date 1920 or 30 that give great performance at modest pressures or can be given a makeover w modern powders, bullets, etc. Otto Bock made some impressive cartridges that still hold their own. Newton on this side did too. Well polished steel that has fit and finish in a wood stock w nice touches has a feel that can't be duplicated w fiberglass and stainless. Maybe I just haven't spent enough money on a stainless gun yet, but even Remingon 700's aren't finished to the degree their blue guns are. I often find really rough tool marks in these. They don't have to be expensive to be nice either Winchester 70 classic featherweights really have nice lines and are accurate off the shelf. Really accurate if you glass bed them. Remington 788's are cool but extemely basic. That bolt is just neat. I like sporters on Eddystones and Springfields too, especially if they have a neat site setup or an old steel tube. Whew! I'm glad somebody started this post I didn't realize I needed to say all that. In short, me too.

#6: Re: Older used guns Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 pm
    ----
Gil,
You are right on. I shop the used guns racks all the time. I do not believe that are older guns are less safe. They usually have better wood, bluing, fit and finish. Most of all they have character and lower prices. Long live the used gun market. Take care...
Joe

#7: Re: Older used guns Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:39 pm
    ----
I also agree with you Gil. I used to buy nothing but brand new guns, I wouldn't even look at used. But 2 - 3 years ago I started buying used guns. The ones that I have bought are in good/very good condition and some may require small repairs. Fixing/repairing them gives me something to do that I enjoy and I figure that they will outlast me so why buy new when I can buy used for half the price or so. It's become a habit with me now to head for the used gun rack when I go to a guns store. Smile

#8: Re: Older used guns Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 pm
    ----
About four or five decades ago, a used gun was often used up. With our society developing economically and discretionary spending on the rise, many found they could actually own numerous firearms, not just ones for pragmatic needs. Today, many are the owners that have not only one safe full of guns but two or more stacked with them.

Today's used gun is often a 95% and, in some cases, unfired! Those guns represent huge savings over new. And, therein, lies part of the attraction.

#9: Re: Older used guns Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 pm
    ----
I own 4 guns, 3 of them are used, and 2 of them are older then my parents. Does that count?

Dimitri

#10: Re: Older used guns Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:38 am
    ----
All of my guns are used..... Smile

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions