Used Marlin 783 .22 mag
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Used Marlin 783 .22 mag Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:33 pm
    ----
This cold weather makes me look around for winter projects. I got a .22 magnum bolt action for a price that even causes me to shake my head. Everything is like new except the last few inches of barrel. It was badly rusted and pitted. After a few evenings of lapping the barrel it was ready to be cold blued. It came out just fine. Now I need another winter project. Take care...
Joe

#2: Re: Used Marlin 783 .22 mag Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm
    ----
I think if the barrel is pitted near the muzzle, it is better to cut and recrown if the result is not making the rifle illegal due to length.

Lapping pitted barrel, do not remove the pitting, but it does make the bore larger thus you may loose accuracy..

#3: Re: Used Marlin 783 .22 mag Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:22 am
    ----
I have to agree with Gelan....shorten and re-crown is a much more viable option than just lapping the bore.

Cheers, Vince

#4: Re: Used Marlin 783 .22 mag Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 am
    ----
I was unclear in my post. The bore of the rifle is fine. The rusting and pitting was on the exterior of the barrel and magazine tube. My local gunsmith has ordered a new magazine tube for less than $20. I just cleaned up and cold blued the outside of the barrel. Take care...
Joe

#5: Re: Used Marlin 783 .22 mag Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:37 am
    ----
Ah, now that is a different story mate. Nothing more satisfying than cleaning up and restoring, rather than rebuilding, an old rifle.

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions