pellet guns
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: pellet guns Author: mulletboyLocation: somerset pa PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:57 pm
    ----
whos got one

#2: Re: pellet guns Author: mulletboyLocation: somerset pa PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:21 pm
    ----
i got a gamo pellet gun that shoots 1000 to 1200 fps (depanding on brand of pellet) from www.gandermountain.com/ and it works great.one shot is a kill shot

#3: Re: pellet guns Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:52 pm
    ----
Have a recently acquired Eun Jin Sumatra in 22 caliber. It's classed as a Super Mag Adult Airgun by the people selling airguns. Very Happy Sales people will tell you anything to make you think the item is really special. It is a PCP gun with a 500 CC air capacity at 3000 psi. With a full charge of air the MV is 1000 fps and the 28 gr pellet carries 62 fpe.

Took it out on Saturday, 01/10/09, for a little ground squirrel fun. First blood for the Sumatra was a head shot at 70 yds. Took another one at 83 yds. Played with some out around 100 - 120 yds but need to build a range table for scope adjustments in order to have success at those ranges.

#4: Re: pellet guns Author: mulletboyLocation: somerset pa PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm
    ----
nice kill i got a few chipmunks with min 1 of them about 15 yard just came out of no were Flame Worship

#5: Re: pellet guns Author: terry264Location: Eastern-North Central West Virginia PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 pm
    ----
A17 Shooter, ever use chairgun.com for your pellet ballistics? Awesome.

#6: Re: pellet guns Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:14 am
    ----
terry264 wrote:
A17 Shooter, ever use chairgun.com for your pellet ballistics? Awesome.

No, I haven't. Will check it out though. Thanks.

#7: Re: pellet guns Author: 270hunter PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 pm
    ----
I gotta Gamo shadow 1000 a Gamo whisper and a Crosman 760. The Gamos can take small game out to 60 yds. easily ( depending on pellet wieght) and shoots about 1000fps.

#8: Re: pellet guns Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:08 pm
    ----
Have a AirForce Talon with a Scuba tank to refill the reservoir. its 22 caliber though, not 17. Shoots very accuratley, but is also noisy as he!! no matter how much power you give it.

#9: Re: pellet guns Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:17 pm
    ----
This is a five shot semi auto similar to the one I use for (paper) target shooting.
Never been able to get it to cycle reliably for more than 3 shots tho..
Definitely more accurate than I can shoot it.

Apparently I got to "sze" the pellets befor use them, I am too lazy..

#10: Re: pellet guns Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm
    ----
I have an old Sharps Innova pump up .22 that is good for making dead bunnies out to 40yds.
I care less for rats, so have shot them well past that to good effect.

#11: Re: pellet guns Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:08 am
    ----
Freakin' killer shooters guys.

Just picked up a Daisy Powerline 35, smoothbore, dual ammo @ 625 f.p.s. (not 650 f.p.s., I misspoke Embarassed )
@ 7 pumps of 10 max it groups really nicely. The trigger sucks though, it's horrible and stiff as a board. I used it for 5 days taking all manner of rodent and bird. I must say I'm impressed with the gun, it is sized for a youth, and my eyes are no good for open sights anymore, but the reciver is dovetailed for optics and pre-ringed 4x scopes are 10$.

This is an interesting thread and I'm getting back into air rifles. I've done a lot of homework on the new generation of scoped break-opens. I'll post up some stuff soon when I get the next one... I am on a VERY tight budget so it will be the best I can find for under 130$. Oddly the selection is pretty good and I'm eyeballing all the sales.

Here's some accuracy tests from the Daisy, less than 2" groups in some cases @ well over 10 meters. Not bad for a 35$ gun! I like it WAY better than my Pumpmaster 760 back home- the sights are great and it pumps much quieter. The fit and such is great! Just needs a trigger job.

www.huntingnut.com/ind...2076#82076

#12: Re: pellet guns Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:21 pm
    ----
Just ordered one of these....stay tuned!

www.cabelas.com/cabela...estid=6936

#13: Re: pellet guns Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm
    ----
Stovey, I'm very interested in hearing your report on the Gamo. I almost bought one last year, but then lucked into a good deal on a revolver that I bought instead.

#14: Re: pellet guns Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 am
    ----
Thanks Marty- will do!

As noted I'm on a budget. This one came in well under target price. 'Nuff left over for some rings/bases for the 300.

Can't wait to do some ammo testing.

#15: Re: pellet guns Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:07 pm
    ----
Big Cat comes home tomorrow morning. I'm as excited as if I were getting a new firearm. $99.00 from Cabela's.

Got 3 tins of 7.9gr Crosman Premier HP's coming from Midway, and, another tin being sent from Montana I left up there cuz I knew the TSA would not let me on with them. State of Komifornia has NONE of these pellets available down here. Just wadcutters and spire point stuff. I highly recomend these pellets as they've been very consistentin most air longguns I've shot them in. I also sort through the tin on a paper towel to weed out the chaff and defects, then, carry them in a snap-close plastic ear plug container to avoid bumps and speeds up loading. If I'm doing a lot of shooting I use a Skoal container lined with a paper towel to cut down on noise w/ the load data taped on the inside of the lid. These pellets seem to be a tad harder than full soft lead and over-penetrate before they break up so they work well in slow and fast guns, w/o skidding on the lands. The cup in the dome is really shallow so it makes a temp wound channel going in w/o deforming/clogging and losing drive. Bars of soap make decent test medium too. Spires vs. HP exit tests are fun @ 50y using this method. I'm pretty confident these pellets will perform well in the Big Cat.

The PBA's that come with the gun get used in the 760 Pumpmaster as they are wicked light and are good for short range slower guns. Otherwise they are useless for hunting IMHO, too fast, hard and light. Very noisey too as they are supersonunic. I prefer 8'ish. gr laods as they are subsonic, more stable and hit much harder and drive better.

-> Small Game Hunting