JERKY
-> General

#1: JERKY Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:52 am
    ----
Howdy Howdy Just put a batch of deer jerky in the dehydrator. I use the high mountain cures from Cabeles and ground deer and a jerky shooter it comes out perrty darn good , and it's a lot cheaper than buying it. Was wondering how many of you guy's make your own jerky, and do ya buy your mix or make your own.

#2: Re: JERKY Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:57 am
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Howdy Howdy Just put a batch of deer jerky in the dehydrator. I use the high mountain cures from Cabeles and ground deer and a jerky shooter it comes out perrty darn good , and it's a lot cheaper than buying it. Was wondering how many of you guy's make your own jerky, and do ya buy your mix or make your own.

Done the cure thing... right now we pretty much mix up our own. Its really cheap and comes out good. One is a sweet teriyaki and is my favorite, the other is a soy sauce tasting one. Both are really good. We use cheap dehydrators with stackable trays to dry it but I remember my mom using the oven to do her jerky long ago.

Lemme get the recipe from the wife and post it.

-DallanC

#3: Re: JERKY Author: mikekuzaraLocation: Farson, Wyoming PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:55 pm
    ----
We use a recipe that was passed down from my grandmother. Slice meat thin and lay in a large tray. on top of each layer add pepper and brown sugar, then a little soy sauce. Keep going layer after layer till yer done. You can vary the amount of pepper according to taste, no need for salt the soy sauce has plenty.

#4: Re: JERKY Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:54 pm
    ----
I as well make my own and up until recently i used to make my own cure but now go to www.butcher-packer.com...soning.htm to get my stuff. I like the 'Inferno Blend' very much because it's got a nice heat to it that isn't overpowering to the flavor (but i like the other ones too Very Happy ). I just find it easier to go there (but a lot of my friends use their wes site) when i'm in the Eastern Market (about the ONLY TIME i ever go to Detroit!) then to shop around for my old cure that i end up making a special trip for anyway because i never seem to have the ingredient i need. Plus, i also buy their cure for making sausage and casings because i make my own beef, venison, bear, and other sausages also.

#5: Re: JERKY Author: beezer PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:27 pm
    ----
We here in uk don't do jerky but I'd realy like to try. Can someone post the whole process so that the next deer I get I can give her a try.

#6: Re: JERKY Author: heritage1550Location: East Texas Woods PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 am
    ----
I make my own also. Normally I use a cure that you can get at any grocery store or at places like Bass Pro Shops. Where I deviate from the norm is with the seasoning. My preference is Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. His Cajun seasoning also works well. If you can't find that just throw in some red pepper and ground up garlic. Yum yum...

#7: Re: JERKY Author: tbox61Location: Great Bend, KS PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:51 am
    ----
Just tried doing jerky on my Traeger wood pellet grill a couple of weeks ago. My wife's uncle gave us a quarter of beef from a cow that was old enough to vote. We tried some steaks and they were like boot leather! It pained me to cut jerky strips from T-Bones, Rib-Eyes and Sirloin, but we did not let it go to waste.

Cut across the grain, and marinated it in a sugar cure recipe I got off of the internet. Sugar, salt, brown sugar and some liquid smoke. 4 hours on the Traeger and it was tasty! Can't wait to try this on some deer! Will probably go with the full muscle jerky, however, I might try the grind and shoot method with one of those jerky shooters.
Tim

-> General