ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: rdncktinkLocation: Hwaseong, South Korea PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 pm
    ----
It wasn't the killing that got me when I found this article. It was the fact that they LEFT most of the meat behind. Taking a head for a troophy when leaving the meat is just WRONG. I agree that if I needed the meat and didn't have tags, well up yours, I'm killing it to feed my family.

Dimitri - The water right of way thing is the same here in California. A person can go thru your land on the water but the minute they get on the bank you can get them for trespassing.

#17: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:02 am
    ----
that tresspassing thing is stupid. Im not gonna sit on my property lines and watch for them! Besides, here in Mich the fine is only $50.00 bucks....hardly a deterent.

#18: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:38 pm
    ----
Well, If you are in Florida and decide to cross a property line, best take a bail bondsman with you. Tresspass with a firearm is a felony. Tresspass on a farm site, gun or not, is a felony, period. Going on land without written permission on your person, is tresspass. You can be arrested on the spot by the landowner or anyone that the landowner gives permission to see after or protect the land. My property now has Tree Farm signs on it.
Best,
Ed

#19: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:41 pm
    ----
I think the whole tresspass thing is dumb! If you cant afford a fence to keep people out than whats the harm? If im just walking around looking to shoot lunch, who am I hurting?
Lifes to short to worry about who's walking around on my land.

#20: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:20 pm
    ----
"I think the whole tresspass thing is dumb!" "what is the harm?"

My mouth is open in amazement!
Best,
Ed

#21: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 pm
    ----
Crackshot. I own horses and they roam in the woods and the pasture. It concerns me to have trespassers...

#22: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:19 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Crackshot. I own horses and they roam in the woods and the pasture. It concerns me to have trespassers...

I agree 100%. I don't live in the country but I sure wouldn't want just anyone walking through my yard any old time they feel like it. It's no different city or country as far as I'm concerned. Private property is private property no matter where it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:21 pm
    ----
Crackshot,
If you were to trespass on my land you would run the very real threat of taking a bullet because I would not know you were there or where you were. I do a lot of hunting and target shooting and you could very easy take a stray bullet. In this state we do not need fences to keep you off our land, that is what the law and respect for others property rights are for.

#24: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm
    ----
I agree that my land is MY land. I'll share it with those I choose to and wouldn't want some yahoo wandering around on my property without my knowledge and permission. Besides, in this day and time some knucklehead who was trespassing on your land and got hurt would probably sue you.

By the way, the county where I hunt, along with most others, require written permission of the land owner for hunting, etc.

#25: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: vint2Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 pm
    ----
It is an odd thing that so many people that I have come across have this attititude that when they have a hunting license they are gifted with some inalienable rights and answer to no one!!!!!!!

#26: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:21 pm
    ----
So your all telling me I have no right to just pick a direction and go?? What the hell? I wont hurt your horses or your damn tree's.....or anything else for that matter. Thats the whole problem with this country and the people in it........No trust.

#27: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 pm
    ----
Trespassing is a slippery slope. Its against the law, because when one purchases something they expect to be able to use it as they see fit without interference. Such as when one buys a home, they want to use it for themselves and having someone go into the home at night and sleep on the couch without permission is not something one would like to have.

The fact it is against the law, and its common knowladge that it is not allowed, makes one feel uncomfortable with someone who feels they have a right to pick and choose what laws they will fallow.

Dimitri

#28: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:17 pm
    ----
Crackshot. The unwritten law of this land has always been to ask permission of the land owner for access of his land. I have no problem with that, but to just strike out onto my land is not the best idea.

Like vint2. I, also, have a pistol range on my land. I,also, have asked and been given permission to have access of my neighbor's land on both sides of me...

#29: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:27 pm
    ----
Hey ya Crackster.

In days long gone, it was probably acceptable to wander anywhere and everywhere willy nilly without any problems. If you were caught on someone else's property then you would be asked what you were doing and if you were simply passing through, and didn't have a herd of sheep or cattle with you, then you were welcome. But that was before the legal system started running the country.

Even if you have no idea that Joe Blogs is on your land, if he falls and hurts himself then he can, via a bottom feeder, hold you liable and sue your wee pink bum into poverty and then some..

I agree with your notion of trust, but there is another factor called courtesy. It cost nothing to ask for access, and if it is denied then there is usually a reason. In this day and age the reasons can be many and varied, but most revolve around liability issues and/or people who have gone before you doing the wrong thing...like shooting the farmer's prize brood mare or breeding bull.

I agree that it is a shame that a man cannot simply walk the Earth anywhere he wishes, but today, it just ain't possible...especially when you consider how many strange people there are out there. Imagine rolling over in bed at 4am and seeing some stranger staring through the window at your missus/daughter/grand daughter...or worse YOU!!! Laughing

Nah, it is courtesy to ask for access, and if allowed, the farmer can usually give you good advice/info on where to go for game...and you can always sit down with him and share a beer or a cuppa tea or coffee...make another friend that you can build a trusting friendship with.

Cheers, Vince

#30: Re: ELK SHOT AND RAVAGED BY POACHER Author: OntheLasGallinasLocation: South Texas PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:47 am
    ----
Texas probably has some of the strongest trespass laws. As a land owner, I don't want people that I don't know, hunting or wandering all over my place. The reason for this is the liberal court system. A person that gets stomped by one of my bulls or even snake bit has the right to sue me. They may not win a case filed in ranch country, but they can cost me lots of money defending myself. I carry a liability insurance policy to protect myself against this sort of thing. If some of you are angered by the trespass law, I'm sorry, but how are we supposed to know which of you will or will not sue me for an action that is not of my doing.

To give you an example...My neighbor was sued by a trespasser that jumped his fence, stuck a prickly pear thorn in his big toe, and let it get infected. He filed suite on my neighbor, saying that he hasn't been able to work since the episode. This was in 1978 and he's still drawing money from the suit. Yes, it’s the few that ruins it for the rest, but sorry, that's the way it is. Change the way people are and maybe it will go back to the way it used to be.

Cary

-> Big Game Hunting