First squirrel hunt went well
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: First squirrel hunt went well Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 am
    ----
Well, last weekend was my first squirrel hunt of the season. My friend got 6 and I got 3. We had 3 give us the slip plus a rabbit, but it was a fun trip. Good frind, good food--but the WIND! Friday we had steady wing from 15 to 30 and Sat. 20-50! Sometimes we nearly got pushed over by a gust of wind.

Makes me wonder how many we could have had if it had not been so windy and more squirrels would have felt comfortable foraging on the ground.

#2: Re: First squirrel hunt went well Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:46 am
    ----
Mate...congrats on a successful squirrel hunt.

If wind is a problem, well stay away from the chili and beans before a hunt mate...them buggers you missed probably got a bad whiff of ya before you saw them. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#3: Re: First squirrel hunt went well Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:08 am
    ----
Ok, Vince, you got me and my buddy pegged. We both had some bad gas. Very Happy Good thing he slept in his own tent. Too many baked beans I guess...and my wifes chocolate chip cookies as well. We each had about 15 of them.

#4: Re: First squirrel hunt went well Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:01 am
    ----
Laughing Laughing

Its funny how little things like that can actually spoil a hunt. I remember years ago when I was in the Army they taught us that even using the wrong soap was enough to signal your presence. I remember smelling cigarette smoke from a guy smoking about 500m away...it would have gone further if the wind was up. Flatulence is one of those aromas that is peculiar to a species, and let's face it...human flatulence can be pretty potent...potent enough to signal the fact that we are there....how many times have you walked into a cloud of gas and there is no-one nearby that you can blame it on...it can certainly linger.

As for the wind blowing...it's surprising how many animals go into cover when its blowing...it plays havoc with their olfactory senses.

Cheers, Vince

-> Small Game Hunting