weighty question
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: weighty question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 am
    ----
Hey guys...Handloader weighs his primers too... Laughing

I must confess...I started out weighing my cases and bullets, but I'm such a lousy shot I saw no improvment so I quite. Now I just weigh the powder charges I drop in a case.

#17: Re: weighty question Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
    ----
Bushy: this might be of interest to you. If you weigh your beer by brand you will find the best beer by ounce is heaviest. Someday when I am in Missouri, I'll bring the beer scale and show you why on the weight scale Bud Lite is the absolute worse beer on the market, MGD better and Coors among the best of the American brews. A problem I encounter is when weighing these beers, they seem to get lighter and lighter during the process. This phenomenon has been observed on many occassions.

#18: Re: weighty question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:01 am
    ----
I would like that...Please bring that beer scale. We can sure make an impartial experiment as long as you don't look as I change up the beer on the scale... Laughing

#19: Re: weighty question Author: MagnumManiac PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:10 am
    ----
I noticed that few addressed what you said in your post about 'keyholing' the target at 200yds.
The simple answer is that your rifle hasn't got a fast enough twist to stabilise those long 62gr bullets, standard .224" cal rifles have a 1-14" twist and those 62gr bullets require 1-9" twist minimum to stabilise, no matter how fast you push 'em.
Just thought this might help.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
Smile

#20: Re: weighty question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:15 am
    ----
MagnumManiac...In this particular case it was two bullet holes side by side and touching...Morax misnamed it. That's all...

#21: Re: weighty question Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:22 am
    ----
my .270 doesnt give a stuff what bullet of weight I give it. one afternoon to see the difference/excuse to burn some more powder I fired from a bench at 100yrds 110grn hpfb three different 130grn two different 150grn and a lapua 160grn load the group was easily covered by a playing card right way up.I reckon out to 150yrds any critter I fire the ol smokepipe at woundnt know the difference. much to the amusement of my hunting buddies I often stack the mag with a heavy load up first when in the trees and take it out leaving a 130grn up first for out in the open cuase I have more faith with them at longer range.

#22: Re: weighty question Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
MagnumManiac...In this particular case it was two bullet holes side by side and touching...Morax misnamed it. That's all...

not only this BUT the savage 243 is nnot a 224, and it also has a 1:9 twist rate, and also the 62 gr VG bullet is SHORT not long...but i digress..

#23: Re: weighty question Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 am
    ----
when I am working up a load I will wiegh my bullets, powder, and brass with a digital scale. I will group these in lots of 5. I then weigh the loaded cartridges to check to see if all 5 in the lot are very close to the same. I use thes lots to test the loads for accuracy. Once I get an accurate load (for hunting) I just hand wiegh each powder charge. I don't think it makes a huge difference but I want to cut out all variables when working up that 1 load. I take a little different approach to reloading though if target shooting out to the 700 m mark. I continue to wiegh everything all the time...then I can't blame the gun or the loads, just the wind Confused

-> Reloading Ammunition